“Away from home, but feeling at home...”

Architect's Inn - George Champlin Mason House
Ranked #45 of 96 Newport B&B and Inns
Reviewed 12 November 2007

We Loved our time spent at the Architect's Inn. We felt as though we were sitting in our own living room playing games, laughing and having a great time. Brian was very welcoming, and easy to be around. He pampered us with wonderful rooms and a delicious breakfast with out being to formal. Truly felt like we were visiting an old friend

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled with family
1  Thank AliceCt

Reviewed 12 November 2007

My husband and I literally just returned home from our wonderful weekend at the Architect's Inn, and I could not wait to sit down and write this review. This was our first bed and breakfast experience, and frankly I was a little bit leery. But within minutes of walking into this beautiful home and meeting Brian, We knew we made a good choice. It was our anniversary this weekend and it could not have been more perfect. Our room was beautifully decorated in victorian style with a wonderful working fireplace. The Inn is meticulous -as was our room. Brian is the perfect host. We came back at the end of our busy day to fresh chocolate-chip cookies or still warm brownies. Breakfast was delicious and freshly cooked. You could tell that Brian puts alot of effort into making his guests comfortable and happy. As a bonus, he sent us to a terrific restaurant for our anniversary called Pronto's. The food was delicious as was the service. I cannot say enough about our experience and would highly recommend this warm and cozy Inn to anyone. I know that my husband and I will be visiting again.
Debby and Joe
Long Island, New York

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jbasso21
Reviewed 29 October 2007

I am sorry I did not write a review immediately after returning from my stay at this magnificent Inn.. I got too wrapped up when I got home but went back today and wrote reviews for some of the places I stayed in this year. As for Architects Inn, this house was magnificent. It was such a pleasure to be able to enjoy the common areas as it felt like you were in a Newport Mansion but this time you could actually touch things and sit on the furniture. The decorating of this Inn was beautiful. The Inn keepers were Nick and Brian during my stay with Nick doing the check in the first day and Brian cooking breakfast the third day of my stay. The food was great and they should both do catering on the side. Nick was such a wealth of information on the house, Newport and of things to see and do in Newport. I had never gotten this much information from a hotel conciege (sp). I was not interested in history when I arrived but Nick made me want to visit the historic library down the street from the Inn to look up more information. The bed was roomy and comfortable. I like that the room was not cold like some old houses tend to be. I light the fireplace which was so nice for the ambiance of the whole picture. The bathroom was grand enough to have a mini gathering in if I had chose to. The bathrobes were an added treat since I left mine at home. Hotels do not provide you with these extras unless you ask and then have to wait. The afternoon snacks, availability of water and soda, and the home made cookies were all a pleasant surprise. Great stay and great innkeepers who made a difference

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled solo
1  Thank tahiti357
Reviewed 27 October 2007

My husband and I were not dieting when we started a week long B&B road trip that started in Salem and ended our trip at the Architect's Inn in Newport, but now, well...yes...we are dieting. I probably should blame myself, but it's much easier to blame Nick at the Architect's Inn for his delicious chocolate chip cookies.

The website for Architect's doesn't do it the justice it well deserves. I had no idea we'd be staying in an historic mansion known as the George C. Mason house. Every room is true to the mansion's history and you feel like you've stepped back in time.

Upon arrival at the Architect's Inn Nick gave us a quick tour so we could get settled into our room and an overview of what to do in town. His restaurant suggestions (here I go about FOOD again) were perfect too. He compiled a list of his favorites that he makes available in every guest room, complete with his own critiques about what makes each of those restaurants special--including if you should make a reservation, go casual or dressy, and the atmosphere! We were only in town for 2 nights but both restaurants were incredible.

Nick highly recommended Tucker's Bistro and told us to mention we were staying at the Architect's Inn. Normally we don't like saying who sent us because it seems like you're asking for special treatment and normally the person you tell it to doesn't really care. We called to make a reservation, but had to leave a voice message with the date, time and number in our party. My husband made this call and mentioned we were staying at Architect's Inn (in case we needed pull to get the reservation!). Tucker himself called my husband back...from home! We were seated at one of the best tables in the restaurant, were served by Tucker and treated to a complimentary homemade Bailey's after our meals...YUMMY! It was delicious as was the entire meal--and we should know...we ate everything from soup to salad to appetizers to main courses to desserts!

There was so much to do in Newport we could have used another day at least. We did the Cliff Walk, we visited two wineries, toured the Breakers and Rough Point mansions, took a spooky walk tour with Spellbound Tours, took scenic drives, shopped and ate at great restaurants.

The Architect's Inn had all the amenities I wanted on this trip. There were umbrellas to use in case of rain (which we had both days), hair dryer in the room, comfy bedding, TV and a selection of movies, and delicious breakfasts cooked by Nick each morning. We sat around a big dining table and talked to different couples staying at the inn--one couple had been on a tour of the Rough Point mansion with us but we didn't know they were staying in the same inn as us until we had breakfast with them the next morning!

Unlike other B&Bs we've visited, your host is almost always available to speak with. I think that's why the cookies are contained in a large class cake display...when you remove the heavy glass cover, Nick magically appears to see how your day's going and find out if you need any suggestions or any other comforts of home.

The Architect's Inn truly was a wonderful find and made the end of our trip just as special as the beginning.

Congratulations on your Inn, Nick & Brian...you have a gem and your service is untouchable by other B&Bs.

-Kim & Chuck Lembo

Stayed: October 2007
2  Thank Kimmerg
Reviewed 25 October 2007

My partner and I wanted to spend Labor Day weekend in Newport, RI. Since it was our first time there, we were interested in booking a five day stay. I researched on line several inn options and chose The Architects Inn.
Our great experiance started on the phone booking the trip. Our inkeeper was incredibly helpful, so I chose him over our other option. Once we arrived, we recieved a great tour of the house, our choice of rooms and the key and thereafter felt like we were at home. We chose one of the smaller rooms, but the whirlpool tub, DVD player and comfy bed were far from small in luxury. We got to view some of the larger rooms and suites as well-definately a must for our next trip!
Our daily breakfast was fabulous, including historical information from the inkeeper about Newport and all it had to offer. Our innkeeper's suggestions as to what to do were so good, that we even attended a polo match! All of the recommendations were on point, making our experiance one that we will always cherish. Overall, its a great place to relax, the suites are lovely for a romantic getaway (including the winter since they have fireplaces) and we look forward to returning and bringing some friends!

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AlmaBklyn
Reviewed 20 October 2007

My husband and I recently stayed at the Architect’s Inn and we were more than pleased with the impeccable hospitality. Brian and Nick were gracious hosts and their knowledge of the local history was extremely fascinating. Nick’s recommendations on what to do and see were spot-on! Our room was absolutely beautiful and remarkably well-decorated. Also, the gourmet breakfasts were so delicious and healthy. All in all, we had a great stay and we look forward to going
back again!

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 October 2007

I had done a lot of research into B&B's and was happy with my final choice - a room at Inn Bliss. However, when we got there the very nice innkeeper, Brian, informed us that we had been "upgraded" to a room at the Architect's Inn. I was totally thrown off by this. Brian told us that it was our decision but we really had the feeling that we would be putting them out if we decided to stick with the room we had reserved. Not wanting to be a pain in the [--], we decided to take the room at the Architect's Inn.

When we got there Nick was waiting for us. He immediately gave us a very detailed guide to what there is to do in Newport which was helpful but a little overbearing. When we finally got to our room it was not as nice as the room I had originally reserved and the bathroom did not have a tub like the other room. I had been very much looking forward to a long soak in a big tub so this was very disappointing to me. The only upgrade about it was the location of the inn. Otherwise, it was a downgrade and I wish I had stuck to my guns - or not been put in that position to begin with.

The food was pretty good. The coffee was great. We signed up for the second shift of breakfast and the first morning we came down Nick was in the middle of a Newport history lecture for the first shift and I felt uncomfortable coming in to the breakfast room - like we were interupting. The second morning was nice - we talked with a nice couple and the food was great. Although, I did feel like Nick was a little disappointed that we weren't relying on him for our entertainment. He sort of sat there and stared at us eating breakast. The last morning was great. Nick was busy and Brian served us a wonderful breakfast - much more our speed.

We didn't spend that much time in the inn because we were out seeing the sites. All in all, it was a fine experience. We didn't let our room situation get us down. I wouldn't stay there again, though.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple
6  Thank NYNY12
InnBliss, Owner at Architect's Inn - George Champlin Mason House, responded to this reviewResponded 20 October 2007

I guess I thought we were being nice by giving you the option of upgrading but I guess our hospitality was received incorrectly. If they had only said something about this we could have corrected the situation immediately but, we are only hearing about this now through an online review. At this point, nothing can be done. The Architects Inn (vs the Inn Bliss )location cut their walking time into downtown by half and provided them with more common area, more amenities,more luxurious surroundings and didn't cost them anymore. In fact, we lost money on this just so they would have a better vacation but I guess our hospitality back fired. There is price for being too nice in today's society. Sad but true.

The guests and I had wonderful conversations. They talked with me both at morning breakfasts and in the evenings. I was never given the impression that they never wanted to talk with me especially when they left and they wanted to get a picture with me and everything. The second day for breakfast, I was going to let everyone converse and enjoy breakfast alone but the other couple invited me to sit down and talk with them. Being a polite host, I did so. If these guests didn't want me participating in the conversation, then why was I asked to join them?

I gave them inside information about where to go and what to do in Newport during breakfast on all three days. If that is "overbearing", then I am sorry for trying to help once again. Maybe a hotel would be more their speed.