“A New Year's Eve to remember”

Architect's Inn - George Champlin Mason House
Ranked #38 of 95 Newport B&B and Inns
Rehoboth, Massachusetts
“A New Year's Eve to remember”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2012

My husband and I participated in a murder mystery weekend at The Architects Inn. It's a lovely, historic inn in the heart of Newport. The innkeepers could not have been more helpful, and the actor's really got into their parts for this 1920's theme. There was a lot of advance preparation in developing characters for each of the guests, and it was so much fun to be someone who was a lot like myself, but with a twist. The height of the weekend, of course, was finding out "whodunnit". I was informed before the dinner of inquisition that the murderer was me!!!
I had great fun coming up with a confession and a motive between courses of a delicious meal. My husband totally enjoyed the experience, too, and we plan to go back for another murder mystery weekend before the year is out. We never go anywhere for New Year's Eve, but we ended up celebrating all weekend, having fun without much alcohol involved, making friends with the other guests, and straight to bed after dinner--no need to be driving on the roadways.We highly recommend it!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Joy38

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2012

I can't rave enough in the space provided. Nick and his partner run this B&B as well as another in town, just the two of them! One might think there is no way the two of them can pay enough attention to all the guests needs, but trust me, it is possible. Nick is usually front and center while his partner is the master, let me say it again, MASTER chef. The Architects Inn is a mansion, in itself. You are asked to remove your shoes upon entry. It's also a home. You are responsible for locking and unlocking the door on your own as well as being able to enjoy the entire downstairs area full of antiques and family pictures. Nick was so amazingly helpful with touring Newport and aiming us in the right direction based on our interests while we enjoyed the breakfast each morning. The location seems a little tucked away, and it is, but really it's a perfect location. My fiance were able to walk into town and back a few times without a struggle but also chose to drive around quite a bit as well.

Room Tip: If you are tall, ask to avoid the attic room because it is a peaked roof that slants down toward the...
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jherz
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2012

I can't say enough good things about my recent stay at the Architect's Inn. We had a delightful time participating in one of their Murder Mystery weekends. The house is a beautiful Victorian mansion with loads of charm. We opted to stay in separate rooms (which was similar in cost to staying together in one of the nicer rooms but put us in the attic). Our rooms were adorable, with pretty decorations and charming sloped ceilings. For an older house, it was very quiet. I never heard my neighbors and the house was full. The only reason I rated my night's sleep lower was because my room was very chilly (remember, old house!). The space heater did a fair job of keeping things warm but next time, I'll heed Nick's instructions and bring flannel pajamas.
The Murder Mystery was a BLAST! I was afraid that it might be difficult to get into my part (not a natural actress) but the actors are so phenominal and the cues so easy to follow that within an hour, I think I actually believed that I was an antiques dealer! The story and characters were well-thought out and engaging. And would you believe it, I actually hijacked the storyline and thinking my cue card instructed me to steal an artifact, I actually stole a crucial prop! I caused the actors to re-write the entire script to deal with my blunder and they did it masterfully!
The game was so fun, I felt like a child all weekend! At the conclusion of the who-dun-it, the guests, actors and innkeepers all laughed like old friends over the many hillarious moments of the weekend.
I would highly recommend the inn, the mystery weekend and the company!

Room Tip: The attic rooms were a nice value (cozy and charming) but if you're looking for grandeur, go for...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Elizabeth W
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2011

Had a great time. Our room was very comfortable. The mystery was fun and the actors did a great job. Everyone was friendly and the slippers rule was very nice for my feet!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank CMyHerr
New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2011

My husband & I spent two nights at the Inn this past week. Our hosts Nick & Brian were awesome, knew lots about the area, things to do, places to see, where to eat, etc. Our room had a working fireplace that was so nice to relax by.The common areas are cozy & comfortable. In a few weeks those fireplaces will be going too! Breakfasts were delish & presentation was impressive! Nice job, Brian! We spent quite a while just visiting & sharing stories with Nick, which was like meeting an old friend. Hopefully will go back in the warmer weather to relax on the porch with a good book, some fresh baked cookies & a cup of Earl Grey!

Room Tip: LaForge was a great room! Roomy, nice fireplace, king size bed.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank moreenf
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2011

My wife and I recently spent three lovely nights at the Architects Inn. October is off season but perhaps the best time to visit Newport. Still enough going on, weather is decent and getting around and parking is easy. The Rosewood Room we stayed in was certainly spacious enough and nicely furnished. Bathroom was large and claw foot tub was interesting albeit a bit hard to navigate into and out of.
The Inn is in a great location. A 10 minute walk in one direction takes you to a cluster of restaurants on Broadway like the Fifth Element, Salvation Cafe (both great), Noreys, and Tuckers. A five minute walk in the other direction takes you to the Art Museum and Rosewood Library, and the waterfront area is within a fifteen minute walk if you don't want to drive.
Brian and Nick were great. Didn't see them much during the stay but they made us outstanding breakfasts and spent time chatting with us during and after the meal. Both were friendly, very open and fun to talk to, and in very short time "zeroed in" to what kind of people we were. When we queried them about the mansions and told them two or three max, they gave us an overview of each and suggested which ones we might be enjoy. When we asked about dining they suggested the kinds of spot we liked, unpretentious, and casual but good food. Try Scales and Shells for fresh seafood and Brick Alley and Red Parrot for almost gourmet bar food.
I forgot some files at the Inn upon our departure. Within an hour I received a text from Nick letting me know and he mailed the files to my office. What a life saver that was. Would definitely return to this place as everything about it just made our trip all that much better.
One final note: Brian and Nick are busy guys as they also run another B&B and have a restaurant. So at least in the off season a lot of communication is done by text messaging. This actually pleased us because it rendered them unobtrusive but they always responded quickly. But technically challenged types might not appreciate not having someone around the Inn during large parts of the day. I understand that during the season there are more staff around.

Room Tip: Rooms on second floor seemed fine and spacious. I don't know about higher levels.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank FreddyBoy48
Phoenix
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2011

Stayed at the Architects Inn for 3 days and opted for the lowest rate and was told that it was some sort of special deal although it is a published rate. So if you go for the $69.00 rate as we did just remember the B&B becomes Bed only. And for that price you get to go up 3 floors to the attic and your room will look like part of an attic that may have been used to store stuff. It looks ok until you are in it for a few hours and realize that the usable space is very limited because you are liable to bang your head on the ceiling unless you stay within a certain space. The bathroom is nice but it is tub only and you can't stand up due to the attic slope so it awkward to bath. The bathroom sink has very little water pressure. Nick said that the room usually goes for $225.00 a night but that would be a major rip. The thing the owners have about no shoes due to the floor and carpets should be rethought especially if you come down the stairs with socks on. The last set of stairs going up to the attic rooms are very steep. The first day I fell but was able to grab onto the railing and prevent a major accident, after that we wore our shoes because the risk was too great. Also they were having problems with their credit card processor and could only accept cash or checks. We went back and forth on that issue. Then I read the info brochure in the room it stated that they only take credit cards if the bill is over $600.00. That is a violation of any credit card company's agreement. Everything else was charming but I would not highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Get as many specifics as you can. When we asked how much breakfast would cost we were offered a pac...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple