Architect's Inn - George Champlin Mason House
Ranked #38 of 95 Newport B&B and Inns
Georgetown, Massachusetts
“CHARMING!”
Reviewed 3 January 2013

Finally getting around to reviewing my visit to this perfect little jewel of a B&B. Where I can understand it may not be everyone's 'cup of tea', my new husband and I appreciated the ambiance, location and gracious hosts.We took a stealthy 3 day stay during the third week of August. We stayed in the Belmont room located on the 2nd floor and it was cozy; albeit quirky in it's appointment of a 3 section bathroom, but this was actually a good thing, we were only missing the claw-footed tub a prior reviewer complained about^^ Oh, the bed was super comfortable; I just felt as if I had melted into it. The property has a terrific vibe, a non-pretentious overall great aura. We loved that there was a British flag hanging as my husband is from London. The common rooms were furnished and decorated with such a comforting and deliberately mindful touch. Between our adventures & jaunts into town, we enjoyed sitting out on the porch at dusk for a glass of wine before heading out; we were compelled to meander back 'home' for afternoon tea and home-baked cookies in the quaint Victorian dining room. We regretted not selection the breakfast option as they smelled delicious and a group of young London gals [ironically] raved about their meals. We certainly enjoyed the helpful guide book left on our bed-top which was thoughtfully constructed by our hosts. Nick was exceptionally nice and welcoming. We were pleased he took the time to converse with us. His partner, Brian, although commutes to work daily, also cooks the elaborate meals at both properties. A lot of love and care goes into these inns, it is quite evident that they have found their calling whilst still balancing careers, other ventures and a life. Good for them! I guess it takes a relaxed and very happy people to 'get' the vibe of Architect's Inn. I know it will always have a special meaning for us and we look forward to returning again for a wedding Anniversary.

Room Tip: Rooms are chosen for you for certain mid-week packages..We took a chance and were pleased with our r...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank trixxidivine

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
San Diego
Reviewed 15 November 2012

We had a lousy time here. Location is a little more out of the way than expected - a problem in poor weather. The rooms were not as advertised - one on the second floor and one on the third. The third floor is the equivalent of a motel - just because furniture is old doesnt make it antique. An extremely steep staircase is your entry point, so steep (easy 80 degree incline) it is difficult to carry your bags and no assistance was offered, another guest helped me. The rooms are small and without character. Our room in particular was in the eaves, which meant it had slanted ceilings, which meant we were bent over unless we were in the center of the room - Im 5'4". In the bathroom you must hold onto a bar in order to lower/raise yourself into the tub. There is no standup shower. There was no advance notice of these quirks (as the owner called them). The 2nd floor room was very average. Typical "antiquey" furnishings but nothing luxurious or special. The house itself is lovely, though on the "fussy," "dowdy" side more than elegant - dolls, lace, etc. The breakfasts were good but also more frilly than true sustenance for the day. The owners were pleasant to a point, the cook was the nicer of the two, the other host was less so - any complaints or issues were met with a silence and indignation and a reminder that this is "their" home, makes staying there as a guest a little difficult as your tiptoeing around hoping not to run into the owners. They're a lot of wonderful places to stay in Newport - this place will make do but would not be in the top 5, particularly because of the customer service from the owners and the lack of room quality. Some people love this place and I can understand if they "hit" it off with the owners but if you dont its pretty uncomfortable.

Room Tip: Stay on the second floor, very steep staircase to third floor and the rooms are tiny and motel like.
6 Thank SAMAID
InnBliss, Owner at Architect's Inn - George Champlin Mason House, responded to this review, 18 November 2012
I do not know what to say. Some people just do not get along with me especially if they behave the way these guests did. I wear my heart on my sleeve sometimes and these guests were just not the friendly sort of people you want in a framed picture on your nightstand. They say first impressions are important but I guess nobody told them that. I tried greeting them as I greet everyone. I typically spend a good half hour with every customer making sure they are settled and comfortable. I wanted to help them with their luggage and show them brochures and maps but they barked at me and just wanted to get to their room immediately. Now, I always always help guests with luggage especially to the third floor rooms but they insisted on keeping their luggage in their car until after they got to their room. They barked again and did not want my help. I didn't want to argue and it seemed they did not want to deal with the normal check in process so I hurried them to their room as they requested. They checked into the third floor room (which is the exact one they paid for when they booked online) and spent at least an hour or two in the room before coming to tell me that they wanted to change to a larger room. Now, in the hotel world, this is a nightmare. First of all, waiting until you arrive to decide to change rooms can be a scheduling nightmare when there are only a handful of rooms in the house. Secondly, they just spent an hour in their room, doing who knows what, which means that I had to go clean their room top to bottom again taking 2 hours out of my day I did not schedule in my tight day plan. BTW Yes believe it or not, innkeepers have very busy schedules but we all try to make it look like everything is daisies and roses. The next worst thing in the Inn world is exactly what they wanted to do-switching rooms midstream. So they decided that they would stay in the third floor one night and then stay on the second floor the next night. I normally charge for this because it doubles the amount of work but I didn't this time.

Regarding the room, yes it is on the third floor and the stairs are steep but they are only really bad the first time you go up. After the second or third time, you are like an Olympic athlete. And yes we tell all our customers in advance that the stairs are steep and that room has a slanted ceiling, however, these guests made two BIG mistakes. The first one is that they booked through a travel agent instead of directly through the hotel. The guests asked for the lowest rate in Newport without thinking that the down side to a economy priced room is that is going to be, well, an economy sized room too. It's like those annoying people you see arguing with the ticket lady at the airport that they want a first class ticket for half the price of an economy ticket. I like to thank walmart customers who branded the idea of getting low everyday prices for products that are supposedly the same as the expensive brands but they really really just aren't. Come on people, this is America. You get what you pay for. If you can't afford it, you put it on a charge card. It is that simple.
Secondly, they never read our email confirmation. Every customer who books gets an email confirmation that outlines the check in procedures and confirms their room and price. It even mentions the third floor stairs, and slanted ceilings in that email when it goes over their room details. They never read it. They never followed check in procedures. They did not put the effort into making sure that their special weekend away was going to be perfect because all they were interested was booking a fast inexpensive room, then show up and expect the best. I guess I just can't sympathize with guests like that. There were plenty of opportunities for them to contact us after we tried reaching out and contacting them. I hoped they learned their lesson, always book the room directly with the hotel.
And just for the record, I think they got a very very good deal on their rooms. Don't feel bad for them. Not only did they get 20% off the first night but they got 50% off the second night because they booked more than 60 days in advance. That was a weekend in the summer time. They were just upset that they didn't get a free upgrade on top of their super savings.....here's to the walmart shopper! Gotta love 'em!
London
Reviewed 3 November 2012

I could not resist the temptation to book a room at the fabulous Architects Inn on Old Beach Road. I had walked past it on several occasions during earlier visits to Newport without realizing its importance or significance in the history and construction of early Newport. As soon as I discovered that it was the former residence of George Champlin Mason, Newport's First Architect, the rest is indeed history and proved to be a most fitting choice to stay for 7 wonderful nights whilst attending to an apartment recently purchased in another most beautiful building a stone's throw away, designed by the very man himself in 1863!

Nick and Brian, the Innkeepers, are charm personified :-)They are just great and run this place so beautifully. Never far away, but never in your way. They are hospitable, kind, generous, fun and helpful. I had such a great time whilst there and really look forward to seeing them again. Quietly tucked away on Sunnyside Place/Old Beach Road, it's in a great location and possible to walk pretty much everywhere from this charming base. There's plenty of parking space (not always the case at other inns, especially in summer) the breakfasts are just delicious (leave plenty of space for these :-) and the rooms .. are all individually decorated with love, care, and attention to detail, and are all totally different yet extremely comfortable.

One has the feeling of stepping back in time - the inn is exquisitely decorated with period antiques, but has all the benefits of modern amenities. 'Hats off' to Nick and Brian - they run the place with flair and panache. A great stay. Thank you! Deborah

Room Tip: The wooden floors are original and meticulously maintained and polished. A good idea to pack a comfo...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank ScreenAssociatesSA
Architects G, Owner at Architect's Inn - George Champlin Mason House, responded to this review, 1 June 2013
OMG I think this has to be my most favorite guest. We had such wonderful long conversations and it was a pleasure helping her with her trip.
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 25 October 2012

Newport would just not be the same if it wasn't for the Architect Inn. Not only is it a great value and perfectly located, the house is maticulously maintained and preserved like it was frozen in time. The decor is true to its surrounding and is beyond comfortable. The inkeepers Brian and Nick are both charasmatic and charming and make you feel at home. They are extemely knowledable about Newport and will make recommendations based on your interests. Be sure to include breakfast in your package as its well worth it. This was our 4th time back and will be repeaters for life. Thanks for another restful few days!!!

Room Tip: I've seen them all and they all have unqiue charateristics that make them great!!
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank desertrain97
Rhode Island
Reviewed 21 October 2012

We just had an awesome stay here and will definitely be back. My wife and I were celebrating our anniversary and this ended up working out perfectly. It was an easy walk to the downtown area. I would also like to mention that the host, Nick, is very nice gentleman who makes sure everyone is comfortable and taken care of. Throughout our stay, we kept saying how calm and peaceful the energy in this place is. This was such a nice experience for us. Thank you for having us.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Christopher401
Bolton, Massachusetts
Reviewed 15 September 2012

From the beginning, the Architects Inn has a perk that quite a few B&B's in Newport RI don't have ... PARKING. Upon walking into the Inn, you step back in time, but comfort is never compromised! Finding a comfortable bed while traveling can be an issue, but it was not at Architects Inn. The mattress was just perfect and everything was sparkling clean. A breakfast at the inn is not to be passed up. The meal is simply savory and the presentation is not to be overlooked either. We had scrambled eggs that were so light & fluffy accompanied by sweet potatoes and muffins that had you begging for more. The afternoon treats need mentioning also ... homemade brownies that are simply addicting and cookies that are so moist; one is not enough! The atmosphere inside and out is very serene. We enjoyed the verandah in the evening with a cup of coffee while watching the stars and listening to the gurgle of the fountain & chirping of the tree frogs. Be sure to admire the gardens and all the potted herbs. There are Clematis plants climbing the porch rails and the scent of Lemon Verbena emanates the air. The Innkeepers are welcoming and knowledgeable about the area. They are up-to-date on what the best tours are and will gladly help you book what is appealing to you. We parked our vehicle and just walked everywhere ... didn't start the ignition till the day we left. The Inn is not that far from any of the major attractions. Lots of great exercise!

1 Thank Cheryl R
Reviewed 14 September 2012

Loved this place. The owners are perhaps the most advanced innkeepers I have ever seen. Constant contact up to the moment of arrival ensures there is an opportunity to book mansion walks, attend special events or just get advice about dining. Our room, which was up in the converted attic, was comfortable, cheery and decorated to a T. The inn itself, located very near the mansions and near great dining, is spectacular and looks the part of a Newport experience. The breakfast was well prepared, in a beautiful dining room where we chatted with other guests while listening to vintage music. I can only say that their murder mystery weekends would be worth the trip, if we didn't live a thousand miles away.

Room Tip: Make sure you talk to the innkeeper if you cannot carry luggage up stairs.
1 Thank 22fast