“Highly Recommended !”

Ranked #38 of 95 Newport B&B and Inns
Newport, Rhode Island
“Highly Recommended !”
Reviewed 6 June 2013

When you walk through the door you instantly feel as though you've stepped back in time to an era of refined elegance. The house beautifully decorated with period furnishings, Nick and Brian are very gracious host's. The house is located in a beautiful quiet historic neighborhood a short walk to the business district, beach and mansions. We recommended Architects Inn to friends visiting us in Newport and Nick invited us to have breakfast with them during their stay. They are a class act.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Boblil60978

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Lincoln
Reviewed 10 May 2013

I spent 3 nights here and the people who own it are very fullof themselves. In the name of history the place is gloomy and unwelcoming. There are rules and regulations everywhere and if you are on the third floor you will need to be fit! In fact there is a rule book provided. It is an awkward and uncomfortable place to stay. They remind you often that this is their home too. On the third floor the TV worked occasionally and there was no drinking glasses. THe hot water took quite a while to become tepid. In the words of the hosts - Go figure.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
6 Thank LincolnlassLincoln
Architects G, Owner at Architect's Inn - George Champlin Mason House, responded to this review, 11 May 2013
Oh I just love responding to vague reviews. Well aside from the fact, this group of UK guests were very aloft and quiet, I do not have much to say because they all seemed so nice. I actually quite liked her friends staying downstairs. Her friends splurged and got a big room while she went frugal with the small room to save $25/night. She was by herself in her room so I thought it was a wise decision...but that was .her. decision not ours. They were independent and not really looking for much other than bop around town aimlessly. We often saw them lounging and relaxing or reading. They seem very low key. Whenever we asked how they were or if they needed anything the response was always pleasant, positive and they never seemed to be having any problems. Brian talked with them about their where they were from a bit and I talked to them about where their travels have taken them. We never got the sense that anyone was unhappy. In fact they brought up about doing a house exchange. I presume she doesn't speak for her friends.

I always have to laugh at these ..rules.. everyone talks about. We want people to have fun so we write down all our suggestions, do's and don'ts for Newport and information about the house such as wifi passcode and how to work the television (which surprising number of people dont know how to use), etc etc. The funny part is that it is almost all information there for the benefit of the guests, however some people see a bunch of words written down on paper and assume it is some sort of evil plot to hijack their vacation. Get over it, you book burners! We are trying to .help. and educate you! Her friends actually told us before they left that our tips were quite helpful during their trip. Clearly, she did not actually read it or she was making up words inbetween the lines.

And we are not full of ourselves. We are just Americans. Don't you watch American tv? We are all this way.....well...at least the dashingly handsome and especially perspicacious ones. ;-P
Pawtucket, Rhode Island, United States
Reviewed 30 April 2013

My husband and I spent a wonderful weekend at the Architect Inn in Newport, Rhode Island. The Inn is gorgeous, just filled to delight with amazing antiques. The breakfast was luscious, and Nick and Brian were charming and gracious. We will definitely go back again and hopefully often! Jean And Norm Standring.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jean C
Architects G, Owner at Architect's Inn - George Champlin Mason House, responded to this review, 1 June 2013
These folks were so awesome! We had such a good time at breakfast. We loved hearing their stories. I am happy they had such a good time because it was a pleasure hosting them.
Bristol, Connecticut
Reviewed 6 February 2013

Found this gem on-line while looking for an affordable off season get-away. Rather than book on-line, I called directly and had a great conversation with Nick, one of the two owners. The Inn was gorgeous and still beautifully decorated from the Christmas holidays. We were greeted by Brian who was a attentive to all of our needs. We took a delightful cozy attic room that was creatively appointed and quite romantic..... exactly what we were hoping for. Brian and Nick were most accommodating and so great to talk to. They are the consummate innkeepers! The location is perfect for walking to the center of town and the is on premise parking as well. Perfect! We'll be back.

Room Tip: I wanted a smaller, upper level room. They offer many larger rooms as well.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank griz49
What a fun couple. Easy going and a spark of light that just shines all day. This is why we love doing this job.
Georgetown, Massachusetts
Reviewed 3 January 2013

Finally getting around to reviewing my visit to this perfect little jewel of a B&B. Where I can understand it may not be everyone's 'cup of tea', my new husband and I appreciated the ambiance, location and gracious hosts.We took a stealthy 3 day stay during the third week of August. We stayed in the Belmont room located on the 2nd floor and it was cozy; albeit quirky in it's appointment of a 3 section bathroom, but this was actually a good thing, we were only missing the claw-footed tub a prior reviewer complained about^^ Oh, the bed was super comfortable; I just felt as if I had melted into it. The property has a terrific vibe, a non-pretentious overall great aura. We loved that there was a British flag hanging as my husband is from London. The common rooms were furnished and decorated with such a comforting and deliberately mindful touch. Between our adventures & jaunts into town, we enjoyed sitting out on the porch at dusk for a glass of wine before heading out; we were compelled to meander back 'home' for afternoon tea and home-baked cookies in the quaint Victorian dining room. We regretted not selection the breakfast option as they smelled delicious and a group of young London gals [ironically] raved about their meals. We certainly enjoyed the helpful guide book left on our bed-top which was thoughtfully constructed by our hosts. Nick was exceptionally nice and welcoming. We were pleased he took the time to converse with us. His partner, Brian, although commutes to work daily, also cooks the elaborate meals at both properties. A lot of love and care goes into these inns, it is quite evident that they have found their calling whilst still balancing careers, other ventures and a life. Good for them! I guess it takes a relaxed and very happy people to 'get' the vibe of Architect's Inn. I know it will always have a special meaning for us and we look forward to returning again for a wedding Anniversary.

Room Tip: Rooms are chosen for you for certain mid-week packages..We took a chance and were pleased with our r...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank trixxidivine
San Diego
Reviewed 15 November 2012

We had a lousy time here. Location is a little more out of the way than expected - a problem in poor weather. The rooms were not as advertised - one on the second floor and one on the third. The third floor is the equivalent of a motel - just because furniture is old doesnt make it antique. An extremely steep staircase is your entry point, so steep (easy 80 degree incline) it is difficult to carry your bags and no assistance was offered, another guest helped me. The rooms are small and without character. Our room in particular was in the eaves, which meant it had slanted ceilings, which meant we were bent over unless we were in the center of the room - Im 5'4". In the bathroom you must hold onto a bar in order to lower/raise yourself into the tub. There is no standup shower. There was no advance notice of these quirks (as the owner called them). The 2nd floor room was very average. Typical "antiquey" furnishings but nothing luxurious or special. The house itself is lovely, though on the "fussy," "dowdy" side more than elegant - dolls, lace, etc. The breakfasts were good but also more frilly than true sustenance for the day. The owners were pleasant to a point, the cook was the nicer of the two, the other host was less so - any complaints or issues were met with a silence and indignation and a reminder that this is "their" home, makes staying there as a guest a little difficult as your tiptoeing around hoping not to run into the owners. They're a lot of wonderful places to stay in Newport - this place will make do but would not be in the top 5, particularly because of the customer service from the owners and the lack of room quality. Some people love this place and I can understand if they "hit" it off with the owners but if you dont its pretty uncomfortable.

Room Tip: Stay on the second floor, very steep staircase to third floor and the rooms are tiny and motel like.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank SAMAID
InnBliss, Owner at Architect's Inn - George Champlin Mason House, responded to this review, 18 November 2012
I do not know what to say. Some people just do not get along with me especially if they behave the way these guests did. I wear my heart on my sleeve sometimes and these guests were just not the friendly sort of people you want in a framed picture on your nightstand. They say first impressions are important but I guess nobody told them that. I tried greeting them as I greet everyone. I typically spend a good half hour with every customer making sure they are settled and comfortable. I wanted to help them with their luggage and show them brochures and maps but they barked at me and just wanted to get to their room immediately. Now, I always always help guests with luggage especially to the third floor rooms but they insisted on keeping their luggage in their car until after they got to their room. They barked again and did not want my help. I didn't want to argue and it seemed they did not want to deal with the normal check in process so I hurried them to their room as they requested. They checked into the third floor room (which is the exact one they paid for when they booked online) and spent at least an hour or two in the room before coming to tell me that they wanted to change to a larger room. Now, in the hotel world, this is a nightmare. First of all, waiting until you arrive to decide to change rooms can be a scheduling nightmare when there are only a handful of rooms in the house. Secondly, they just spent an hour in their room, doing who knows what, which means that I had to go clean their room top to bottom again taking 2 hours out of my day I did not schedule in my tight day plan. BTW Yes believe it or not, innkeepers have very busy schedules but we all try to make it look like everything is daisies and roses. The next worst thing in the Inn world is exactly what they wanted to do-switching rooms midstream. So they decided that they would stay in the third floor one night and then stay on the second floor the next night. I normally charge for this because it doubles the amount of work but I didn't this time.

Regarding the room, yes it is on the third floor and the stairs are steep but they are only really bad the first time you go up. After the second or third time, you are like an Olympic athlete. And yes we tell all our customers in advance that the stairs are steep and that room has a slanted ceiling, however, these guests made two BIG mistakes. The first one is that they booked through a travel agent instead of directly through the hotel. The guests asked for the lowest rate in Newport without thinking that the down side to a economy priced room is that is going to be, well, an economy sized room too. It's like those annoying people you see arguing with the ticket lady at the airport that they want a first class ticket for half the price of an economy ticket. I like to thank walmart customers who branded the idea of getting low everyday prices for products that are supposedly the same as the expensive brands but they really really just aren't. Come on people, this is America. You get what you pay for. If you can't afford it, you put it on a charge card. It is that simple.
Secondly, they never read our email confirmation. Every customer who books gets an email confirmation that outlines the check in procedures and confirms their room and price. It even mentions the third floor stairs, and slanted ceilings in that email when it goes over their room details. They never read it. They never followed check in procedures. They did not put the effort into making sure that their special weekend away was going to be perfect because all they were interested was booking a fast inexpensive room, then show up and expect the best. I guess I just can't sympathize with guests like that. There were plenty of opportunities for them to contact us after we tried reaching out and contacting them. I hoped they learned their lesson, always book the room directly with the hotel.
And just for the record, I think they got a very very good deal on their rooms. Don't feel bad for them. Not only did they get 20% off the first night but they got 50% off the second night because they booked more than 60 days in advance. That was a weekend in the summer time. They were just upset that they didn't get a free upgrade on top of their super savings.....here's to the walmart shopper! Gotta love 'em!
London
Reviewed 3 November 2012

I could not resist the temptation to book a room at the fabulous Architects Inn on Old Beach Road. I had walked past it on several occasions during earlier visits to Newport without realizing its importance or significance in the history and construction of early Newport. As soon as I discovered that it was the former residence of George Champlin Mason, Newport's First Architect, the rest is indeed history and proved to be a most fitting choice to stay for 7 wonderful nights whilst attending to an apartment recently purchased in another most beautiful building a stone's throw away, designed by the very man himself in 1863!

Nick and Brian, the Innkeepers, are charm personified :-)They are just great and run this place so beautifully. Never far away, but never in your way. They are hospitable, kind, generous, fun and helpful. I had such a great time whilst there and really look forward to seeing them again. Quietly tucked away on Sunnyside Place/Old Beach Road, it's in a great location and possible to walk pretty much everywhere from this charming base. There's plenty of parking space (not always the case at other inns, especially in summer) the breakfasts are just delicious (leave plenty of space for these :-) and the rooms .. are all individually decorated with love, care, and attention to detail, and are all totally different yet extremely comfortable.

One has the feeling of stepping back in time - the inn is exquisitely decorated with period antiques, but has all the benefits of modern amenities. 'Hats off' to Nick and Brian - they run the place with flair and panache. A great stay. Thank you! Deborah

Room Tip: The wooden floors are original and meticulously maintained and polished. A good idea to pack a comfo...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank ScreenAssociatesSA
OMG I think this has to be my most favorite guest. We had such wonderful long conversations and it was a pleasure helping her with her trip.