Architect's Inn - George Champlin Mason House
Ranked #38 of 95 Newport B&B and Inns
Vermont
“LOVE IT”
Reviewed 25 June 2008

7 girls went away for our annual Girls' Weekend. This year Newport, RI was chosen. One of the girls is our travel planner and she did all the leg-work, so to speak, of finding our place to stay. She chose the Architect's Inn. Innkeeper Brian made sure we were very comfortable and well fed. He prepared some pretty wonderful gourmet dishes for us for breakfast. The rooms were very comfortable and beautiful, lots of wonderful antiques. We had a great time and shared many laughs in one of the sitting parlors while having our cocktail hour. I highly recommend this beautiful bed and breakfast. Brian will make sure you're well taken care of.

• Stayed June 2008
    • Check-in / front desk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Manchester NH
Reviewed 24 June 2008

My first B&B experience and it was wonderful! I was one of 7 ladies who enjoyed our stay for 3 nights for our annual "girls weekend". The house was beautiful, the guest rooms especially lovely. We were served in grand style each morning with the most delicious gourmet breakfast. Our host was most accomodating and we truly enjoyed his company. I would highly recommend this establishment, and look forward to a return visit in the very near future.

• Liked — Ambiance
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with friends
Boston, MA
Reviewed 21 June 2008

I am a pretty experienced luxury vacationer, and I have to say staying here was an absolutely perfect experience! An incredible value as well, we paid what we'd pay at a 3-star chain hotel for a flawless 5-star stay and unforgettably gracious hosts. And half what other b&b's were charging!

After calling 14 (I actually called 14!) different b&b's in newport, we thought we'd never find one that was open during January, polite on the phone, knowledgeable about their own property, pleasant to speak with, and didn't have misleading winter specials that actually didn't save you any money and cost twice or more what I had planned to pay (don't even get me started on the other "top" b&b's in newport, they produced a collective nightmare just by calling them). And then we called Nick and Brian.

Just calling them had me sold, knowing that it would be a fantastic stay. Brian was extremely warm, fully answered all my questions and just gave me the right vibe. I let it slip that it was my boyfriend and my's anneversary, and Brian immediately jumped into action- he told me about each available room and was completely honest about the pro's and con's of each- which were sunnier, which got a little chilly at night, etc. He ultimately recommended the Perry suite, based on my very nit-picky preferences. He also asked if we'd be "needing" in-room massages- "need" is such a subjective word...

The Perry suite met every one of my requests and then a whole lot more, for an absolute steal of a price. It was more like an entire wing of the house than a room, it was exceptionally clean and beautifully furnished. It was quiet and cozy, a perfect romantic getaway. The entire house was stunning, and decorated as one might expect a particularly luxurious b&b to look- frills, crystal and all. The attention to detail is everywhere, with umbrellas at the door for you if its raining, and home-made cookies always in the dining room.

And then the hosts! Some reviews accuse Nick of being overly talkative, but I completely disagree. He and Brian both have great stories, and are quick on social ques, they know when you'd like to chat and when to give you space. Both Nick and Brian are excellent listeners (my boyfriend easily out-talked them both), but they held up the conversation extremely well, both are very intelligent and thoughtful.

The breakfasts were outstanding and very elegant, and they did an excellent job of making it vegetarian friendly, while still providing meat for the carnivores. They didn't skimp either, the breakfasts were hearty and balanced.

The only difficultly was finding the place- the street sign had been stolen and we ended up finding it by guessing which street it ought to be on. But was a find it was! I ended up extremely happy with the location as well, off the beaten path, but very close to town, easily walked.

The Architect's Inn scores a perfect 10!

regards,
R & P from Boston

• Liked — Absolutely everything
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled as a couple
Manchester, NH
Reviewed 9 June 2008

7 of us ladies went away for our "Annual girl's weekend" in June 2008. We chose the Architect's Inn in Newport, RI from their website. We had a wonderful time. It was unanimous.....7 women all in agreement....It was one of the most beautiful B&B's that we have ever had the pleasure to stay in. This INN comes highly recommended by us. Everything was perfect from the accomodations to the atmosphere. Wonderful time. Can't wait to go back and try a different room :)

• Liked — The Hosts at the B&B
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with friends
Connecticut
Reviewed 7 May 2008

We were treated like family at the Architects Inn. Brian and Nick welcomed us into their home and made our stay extremely comfortable. Their laughter was contagious and their interest in making sure we got the most out of our Newport visit in terms of dining and sightseeing made our stay "inn-toxicating"! The breakfast consisted of individually served fresh fruit, home baked goods, coffee, choice of juice, and a surprise main dish each morning. Very impressive! My wife and I always thought that staying at a Bed & Breakfast would be awkward but after this experience we will not hesitate to stay at one again. This was our second stay at the Inn during the last five months and when we visit Newport again we will definately stay there with our two new friends, Brian and Nick.

Russ & Margaret

Stayed April 2008
Mexico, ME
Reviewed 29 April 2008

My family spent Christmas at the Architects Inn. It was the best Christmas EVER. We found them on a vacation rental website which was good but we didn't really know what to expect so when we arrived, my jaw dropped at how amazing the rooms were. My bed made me feel like a princess. I wish I had grown up in this house because it would have been so much fun. They had a huge tree that we put gifts underneath. Every room was decorated and the whole Victorian splendor of the Architect's Inn made it a Christmas to remember. Nick and Brian were so good about us sharing their home. All of us haven't been together like this since we were kids and this meant a lot to my parents. Brian and Nick made sure the fireplaces were going in the livingroom and we played board games and told ghost stories. Brian joined in the board game and we had such a good time. They had great suggestions on what was open and good retail shops to get last minute gifts. They are so attentive to the details and really were interested in making our stay special which is what I truely will remember forever.

• Liked — The decorations were terrific
  • Disliked — nothing...i just wish the weather was better
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled with family
Falls Church
Reviewed 27 April 2008

My husband and I stayed here last summer. We are about to go again this summer for the Folk Festival which reminded me I wanted to write this review. We had an amazing time. First of all, this was a total surprise because this was booked for us by our American Express customer service so we knew it was going to be top of the line but we didn't know anything about it otherwise. As soon as we walked up to the big grand doors of the house and were welcomed into this gorgeous home, we fell in love. I think my husband got jealous because I was spending more time talking with the owners at first then I was with him. LOL Nick and Brian were just so wonderful and we clicked immediately. They had so many good ideas and suggestions that you would think we actually spent time planning this trip (which we so didn't). Brian showed us the other guest rooms and I just couldn't believe that we could afford this place. I felt like we stepped back in time to Victorian days. I can't even describe the rooms but the pictures online do not do them justice. I can go on and on about this "bed and bath" . We will be going back in august this year for another unforgettable vacation, I am sure.

• Liked — my bedroom canopy bed
  • Disliked — nothing