“Exceptional Experience, Wonderful Place”

Architect's Inn - George Champlin Mason House
Ranked #46 of 96 Newport B&B and Inns
Reviewed 15 August 2013

I have just again, returned from a summer stay in Newport, a place I really enjoy going to each summer for a "turn of the century" experience. The Inn, I usually go to Is this one.Of all the Newport places to stay, this one is a KEEPER! The place has a wonderful Victorian feel to it.I,upon entering the front door, feel as if I am transported back in time, a hundred years, a feeling I just love and can not get enough.The Inn is furnished beautifully..I go from room to room, just taking in the ambience.And the side porch is so special, aplace outside,that is so inviting and relaxing,with the sound of a waterfall on the property.The rooms are large and comfortable, nicely furnished and very quite.Sleeping there is perfect, as it is quite and peacefull in the house and, more important, the surrounding neighborhood.The morning breakfast is worthy of your pallate and your digital camera.It is served so beautifully!The Innkeepers are two special, very nice guys.They can guide you to a perfect vacation, and always offer good advice.I would recommend this place to everyone .I have never had a bad experience there, and can not wait for the next return trip.

Room Tip: 2nd floor rooms are more beautiful, but more money....worth the extra cost, in my view
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank TommyCT

Reviewed 25 July 2013

My wife and I just returned from a two night stay at the Architect's Inn. What a find! It is conveniently located in the center of the historical district within a few minutes walk of Thames street and the waterfront. The Inn is historically delightful with elegant woodwork and inlaid floors yet modern enough to have central air. Nick and Brian have done a wonderful job decorating the Inn with antiques except for our bed which was as comfortable as our own at home. We're truly looking forward to our next stay!

Room Tip: The Redwood Room is wonderful!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 July 2013

A very cozy cotel and a very interesting experience. Beautiful house. When I arrived, the owner had left the keys by the window and I spent the holy time alone in this house, furnished like a haunted mansion. Fortunatelly there was a very nice wireless free conection and I could stay in touch with friends, showing them the house and having fun while I waited for ghosts. Very nice and I had fear, but a lot of fun!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
Architects G, Owner at Architect's Inn - George Champlin Mason House, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2013

lol I love that people think they are alone in the house. We were actually full but the house is pretty quiet overall.

I hope he got some paranormal activity. Just do not youtube it without checking with us first. lol

Reviewed 14 July 2013

The inn is a perfect home away from home and is close to everything Newport has to offer.
The rooms are spacious and clean with lots of details that makes them warm and welcoming and the decor makes you feel as being a part of the gilded age.
One of the best things about the place is the innkeepers that make you feel welcome and they are also a great source of information about Newport and surroundings. The breakfast is amazing with new dishes every day where quality and attention to the details is never forgotten. The only bad thing we have to say about The Architect's is that we unfortunately aren't able to go there more often.

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank Anthony K
Reviewed 29 June 2013

Our family (two adults, two children) recently stayed at the Architects Inn. We had such a lovely time that I had to post a review of our stay. First of all, I was happy that we were able to get accommodations together in one suite - other bed and breakfasts required two separate rooms. The Perry Suite, where we stayed, was spacious, and my teenaged daughter had her own area to sleep and relax in the sitting room of the suite complete with a fridge and a television. The breakfasts each morning were divine - most (if not all) of the fruits were organically and locally grown. There was a nice variety too, such as strawberry pancakes and sausages with fresh fruit one morning or rosemary thyme biscuits with bacon and eggs another. We had a choice of two dining times - one for early risers and another for those that enjoyed sleeping in a little bit. The innkeepers also provided afternoon snacks each day such as homemade chocolate chip cookies or brownies with servings of tea, spring water, or sherry. The inn is located within walking distance of shops, restaurants, the infamous Cliff Walk, and the Newport mansions! We didn't need to use our rental car at all. If you are looking for a nice, quiet atmosphere with laid back innkeepers, hearty breakfasts, and a historical setting, you should try the Architects Inn. You won't be disappointed! Oh, almost forgot, one member of our family is vegetarian. The innkeepers had no trouble accommodating her diet at breakfast! In fact, they asked us before we arrived if we had any special dietary concerns. Both innkeepers, Nick and Bryan, were very gracious and helpful. The innkeepers themselves will make you want to come back for a return stay!

Room Tip: If you are not traveling with children or if you have one child, try the Redwood or the La Farge Roo...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Debbie S
Reviewed 29 June 2013

After a tedious and long flight from Munich to Boston, a 2 hour drive
from Boston to Newport, and a short search I found the Architects Inn
finally. It is not far from the center of Newport but located in a
really quiet neighbourhood. The location is simply great, it is only 10
min walk to the nearest beach and the same time to the waterfront.
Architects Inn is ran by Nick and Brian who care not only for the house
and the garden but were absolutely helpful to make my stay as relaxing
and pleasant as possible. The rooms are clean and beautifully equipped
with old wooden furniture and historic painting on the walls. The
breakfast cooked by Brian is simply great. Each day a new surprise and
all this arranged with lots of love and taste. I spent many hours on the
spacious porch to prepare conference talks in the morning and to relax
in the evening. I really recommend the Bed&Breakfast and hope to come
back a future day.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Andreas D
Reviewed 19 June 2013

This was our second visit to the Architect's Inn. We have been to Newport several times but from now on, we will always stay at the Architect's Inn. The rooms are spacious, welcoming and comfortable. The Inn is that place that makes you take a deep breath and relax. Brian and Nick are the most gracious of hosts. The breakfast is amazing! On this past trip they had the most delicious rosemary (the rosemary was fresh from their garden) biscuits with an apricot jam, yummy!! The rest of the breakfast was just as amazing. Brian and Nick also helped us to plan the rest of trip and each suggestions led us to have the most perfect stay! Thanks for making our stay special! We will be back!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family