“Great Place”

Architect's Inn - George Champlin Mason House
Ranked #44 of 95 Newport B&B and Inns
Reviewed 31 August 2007

Loved our first B & B experience! Nick and Brian were very accomodating for our son's wedding weekend. Our friends and family rented out the entire house. Rooms were clean and LARGE. Convenient location to town and breakfast was great.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled on business
1  Thank straidman

Reviewed 30 August 2007

I'm undecided about my stay at the Architect's Inn. Maybe I was expecting too much after reading all of the great reviews. I've just stayed in nicer B&B's - so I don't really know what all the fuss is about. Brian and Nick were very nice and hospitable and always around the house to take care of any needs. My issues are in regards to the room and breakfast. First the room - we stayed in the Perry suite - the bedroom was very nice and the bathroom was especially nice. However, certain details left something to be desired. The "suite" is actually more of a wing of the house - a hallway with the bathroom, bedroom, and living room all separate doorways off of the hallway - and there is a staircase at the end of the hallway that leads downstairs - maybe to where Brian and Nick live? The odd part, though, was the huge hot tub covered in a blanket that was blocking the stairway to prevent people from walking down there. I think a rope with a little "do not enter sign" would be a viable alternative. The housekeeping was also spotty - some days we were given bottles of water, and other days not. As with most B&B's they have the "towel on the floor" policy - which I'm totally fine with and always reuse my towels - however they weren't even re-folded and put back nicely on the racks. On top of this, an envelope was on the dresser with a note specifically explaining how the innkeepers/housekeeping should get tipped for the cleaning. Ok - so on to breakfast - breakfasts were communal - which I'm fine with, however the food was served out of communal dishes (with no option for breakfast by the way - you eat what is made) - so it was always difficult to know how much food to take so no one else was deprived. One morning they handed out the smallest dish of scrambled eggs that needed to feed 8 people. I received the dish first and took the tiniest scoop of eggs - it was just ridiculous. The other issue with breakfast was that this was the time Brian and Nick wanted to socialize - and I felt awkward trying to eat my breakfast with them standing over me, talking to me. So - I guess paying $900 for three nights for an odd room, spotty housekeeping, and skimpy, awkward breakfasts just really wasn't for me.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
8  Thank NYTraveler82
Reviewed 30 August 2007

The Architect's Inn was one of the most romantic inns that we have ever visited. It had exceeded our expectations! We were celebrating a special anniversary, so an environment that would enhance the occasion was just splendid.

Nick, the innkeeper, was fabulous in giving us a wealth of information before we arrived. He has an extraordinary sense of the diverse array of restaurants. We were delighted with all the terrific suggestions that he had for us. He has an incredible knowledge of the history of Newport. This made our discovery of the town even more enjoyable.

The inn itself was in a historic location of town - very beautiful and peaceful. You were able to park your car at the inn and walk to town or the beach . The location was just perfect. Most impressive was how gorgeous the inn was - it was a slice of history that is treasured.
The decor and comfort elements of the inn were superb. We truly felt as though we had come to stay with old friends.

We look forward to returning to Newport and the Architect's Inn next year to create new memories.

Shelley Bayne and Ron Capozzi

3  Thank musicbuff
Reviewed 27 August 2007

this inn was the perfect way to enjoy the weekend of wedding bliss for our nephew. we wanted a place we could all gather since we are scattered all over the u.s. Nick and Brian were gracious hosts and chatted with us as if they were part of the family. the rooms were large, beds perfectly comfy and the entire place was immaculate. i would definately stay there again should the occasion arise.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 August 2007

Our stay at Architect's Inn was delightful. The inn was beautifully decorated and immaculate. The room was absolutely beautiful and very comfortable. The innkeepers were helpful, pleasant and made you feel right at home. A tray of cookies or brownies was always on the dining room table and in the evening, wine glasses were left iout f you needed them, sherry was available and they had a great selection of teas. It was also in a great location. I would recommend this inn to anybody.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 July 2007

My husband and I stayed one night at Architect's Inn in early July and we wish we could have stayed longer. The inn is beautifully decorated and is located in a very convenient location - we walked to all of the downtown sights and it was a short drive out Bellevue to the mansions. Most importantly, the innkeepers are superior hosts. Nick was very friendly, helpful, and very hospitable in providing afternoon snacks, etc and in serving us a delicious breakfast. You can't go wrong with Architect's Inn!

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bailey6325
Reviewed 18 June 2007

I really enjoyed my stay at "Architect's Inn." Nick and Brian, the Innkeepers were very accomidating and very hospitable. I highly recommend this Inn if you are interested in the mansions of Newport, RI because it's right near Bellevue Ave., where the mansions are located. The breakfast that was served was awesome, I recommend the Cinnamon French Toast....Delicious!!! The rooms were very cozy and Victorian, my overall stay at the "Architect's Inn" was definetly 5 stars! :)

Stayed: June 2007