All reviews central air stay there again perfect location a great stay visiting newport rick laptop wharf
Reviewed 22 August 2013

Melville House - The staff was very friendly. ROOM - Upon our arrival the room we were shown I did not like -- so Cloe took the time and effort to show us a number of rooms until we found one acceptable. Although the bathroom was as small as the one in a camper (the sink might be smaller) and not what is shown on their website, the room was ok. No Central AC in our room but there was a window air conditioner. There is no TV in the room (but I knew that from the reviews) so we figured we would watch something off the computer but, could not get internet service. (bed was lumpy). The Inn itself is from the 1700 so the stairs and walls are a "bit crooked" but I guess you could say that it adds "character". FOOD - breakfast is served in the sister property two doors down. Zack was our waiter and he did a fine job. He was attentive and efficient. The breakfast is a bit of a "bare bones" breakfast but it was good. Choice of eggs, french toast or pancakes. Fresh OJ, coffee, toast, peanut butter, jam, fresh fruit, coffee and tea. LOCATION - ok this was the best part. The location of this property is what "saved the day". You cannot beat the location! It is 1 block away from the main street (America's Cup Way). The only time we took the car out was to tour. Parking is a big factor here and we never had a problem finding a spot in one of their lots. Final review of the property -- ok. I did take the time to look at a few B & B's near by in case we return to Newport. If you are busy travelers (like us) you are really never in the room and location, location, location was more important to us. (oh, and there was no closet in the room either - just one five drawer dresser. There was a closet door but the broken handle was in a drawer, so who knows! ACTIVITIES/RESTAURANTS - Mansion tours - go to the Welcome Center in town and buy a 5 tour pass. Much cheaper then individual tour prices. The Newport Harbor Shuttle was a good deal. $10.00 pp for a day "hop on hop off" pass. Great way to see the Mansions, Fort Adams, Lighthouses, Goat Island, etc. from the water. The Cliff Walk was a nice. The Red Parrott was an excellent restaurant for a good price. Food was delish!

Room Tip: Bathrooms are very very small. Not what is shown on website. Might want to consider one of their other properties if you are more then average in size. We stayed in room 1 (which was on the second floor). The first floor room was nicer - but booked. Would not stay on the third floor.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
ANewporter, Owner at Melville House, responded to this reviewResponded 24 August 2013

Thank you so much for taking time to write a review and to highlight Clarke Street, this one-block lane chuck full of history and so centrally located. Did you know that George Washington and General Rachambeau, the leader of the French troops during the Revolutionary War, stayed across the street?

I hope that you will look at some of the rooms in our adjacent inns next time so that we can accommodate you with a larger room and bathroom AND TV/Internet. By the way, we are addressing that closet door today!

Rick and Tamara Farrick

Reviewed 5 August 2013

The staff at Melville House were very pleasant and the breakfast was very good (except no tea bags fortunately I bring my own), The blueberry pancakes and French Toast were delicious and the orange juice was outstanding!
The accommodations however were disappointing. Our small room had the smallest shower I have ever seen, Broken TP holder and towel rack did not improve the situation. There was no TV even in the Living Room and I had to use an extension cord to use the hair dryer.
Againthe staff was accommodating and the free parking in Newport was a real plus.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Dgirardrn
Reviewed 12 August 2012 via mobile

Overall we had a really great experience at the Melville house in Newport RI. Rooms were clean, Rick and staff were extremely accommodating and the breakfast was delish!! The girl that made the hot breakfast every morning was a pleasure and really did a wonderful job. We really had no complaints but one which was not really the BnB's fault. The Mel House was central air upstairs, no individual A/C. The people that stayed next to us kept turning off the A/C with the switch in the hall all weekend long, very inconsiderate and it made our room very warm, i had to keep getting up to turn it back on in the middle of the night. It also can be a bit noisey at night when people return back to their rooms because the doors are older and a bit noisey. Other than that it was a great experience.

• Stayed: August 2012
3  Thank DD143
Reviewed 2 August 2012

This was my very first trip to Newport. My boyfriend made the reservations. i had never stayed in a B&B before. our room was very cozy, bathroom was down the hall but no biggie. We had a great stay, and our breakfast was excellent. Shame on all of the negative reviews. If you wanted 5 Star service you should have stayed at a 5 Star resort.!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sally h
Reviewed 28 May 2012

If you are looking to create new memories, this is the place to stay. Is not over price, the location is excellent, and the best of all you don't have to pay for parking! I have been visiting Newport for the past three years during the summer. I live in Connecticut and the drive is not bad, so usually I go early in the morning and come back at night time; however, this time, I wanted to stay for the night and enjoy the weekend with my daughter and her cousin. They both had a blast! We were able to walk to the wharf and back, we were able to drive to Gooseberry Beach (the best), and we did not miss anything from the big and fancy hotels we are used to staying in. WE LOVED IT! AND THE BREAKFAST WAS THE CHERRY ON TOP OF THE ICING!

Room Tip: If you are planning to share the bedroom with someone else, make sure that you ask for two double beds or a king size bed if you are a family traveling with children. The bedrooms are somwehat small if staying in a double.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family