All reviewscentral airstay there againperfect locationa great stayvisiting newportricklaptopwharf
Reviewed 9 September 2009

Location is phenomenal and parking is a major plus. There are a few B&Bs on the same street operated by Inns of Newport. Apparently breakfast was served in the one next door, not in our own B&B. No one told us that, and I went downstairs in the am expecting to find breakfast going on, but there was no one. There were no hosts seen at all during our stay. I also didn't see any other guests, although I did hear them. In that sense, it felt like staying in an apartment in an apartment building. Not your typical mom and pop B&B kind of place.

It was cute, homey and clean, however. And with the location and parking, we were pleased. Room was very small though, FYI.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lemonicecream
Reviewed 8 June 2009

what a wonderfull place to stay, the staff expecially Dean was so helpfull.
when we arrived we got upgraded which was great the house was wonderfull a great spot for exploring newport with free parking a great advantage when staying in newport.
we visit newport regular and usually stay a couple of blocks further up the road but on future visits i will stay at Melville house in future as it was so quaint .
Rick also owns other properties in the same street and we were offered a choice of accomadations and shown around by Dean who was so helpfull.breakfast was fantastic with fresh items everyday.
Thanks for making our stay so enyoyable, Karen & Stewart Tittley, UK

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 January 2009

I came here in May 2007 with my friend, then returned again in May 2008 with a group of freinds. The Melville house is great find, their prices are lower compared to a majority of the other B&B's, its located 2 blocks up from Thames St and the food is excellent. The breakfasts were always hearty and the afternoon baked goods were always a treat. The rooms are comfy and standard for B&B's: either a double or queen bed, all rooms had a private bathroom and homey decor. There is on-site parking which is a plus.
I can honestly say I have no complaints about this place

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 December 2008

We stayed at the Melville House Inn having found it on our arrival in Newport, Rhode Island. It was the end of the season and no-one else was staying that night, but Bob and Priscilla, the owners, couldn't have made us more welcome. It's an old building with cosy rooms and a log fire in the sitting room. They also have the sweetest couple of dogs. Bob recommended things for us to see on our short stay and also some places to eat. The inn is in short walking distance of the town centre and has its own parking. Our room was spotless and very comfortable. The next morning, Priscilla cooked us the best breakfast either of us has ever had - muffins, cinnamon coffee, granola and pancakes. We're so glad we found this place and we'd certainly stay there again

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 24 June 2008

My wife and I the l stepped back into history the past 3 nights nestled in this cozy B & B located one block from Thames St. For those of you not familiar with Thames St., it is the heartbeat of Newport with shops, restaurants and clubs for all tastes. Boat charters abound. If you're looking for something really upscale, Belleview Ave is not too far. If you want to appreciate early Americana, Newport is for you and the MH dates back to 1750. But there's more than that. Bob and Priscilla own and operate this B & B. Priscilla's breakfasts are a real treat. Bob is matre'd and concierge wrapped in one. Coffee, tea, cookies, brownies, bottled water and fruit are available day and night at no additional charge. Cleanliness is a priority. The beds are firm and the neighborhood is mostly quiet. I always travel with moldable earplugs which always help, if you are a light sleeper like I am. Inquire about the size of the shower as ours was on the small side and didn't feel as if it would be appropriate for a large person.
If B & B's are your thing,I can recommend that you try this one. I wouldn't hesitate to return.
J.A.Fischer, New Paltz, NY

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank JAFNewPaltz_NY