“Just OK...there are far better options for the $!”

Newport Harbor Hotel & Marina
Ranked #6 of 21 Hotels in Newport
Reviewed 22 May 2012

While there's nothing "wrong" with this hotel, there's nothing "right," either. Our check-in was fine and efficient. My issue is really with the value - very mediocre quality for the price. The location is excellent, for sure, but the property is out-of-date, almost depressingly so - the decor is very '80s, and just doesn't hold up to my expectations for the cost. We've stayed at other Newport hotels with a similar price in a more peak season, with far better quality and ambiance.

The room...again, underwhelming. Out-of-date decor, the bed was VERY hard and uncomfortable. When we arrived there was a tray of dirty dishes and food to greet us directly outside our door - probably from the room next door, but something I would expect to be cleared away for check-in time. It remained until we came back to the room that night around 11pm. We even paid more for an upgrade, and it just didn't meet our expectations. The bathroom is utilitarian - there's no place to place cosmetics and toiletries, the shower is fine, but not luxurious.

I guess the bottom line is that I was expecting more luxury, or at the very least updated decor and facilities for what I considered to be a fairly high cost ($299/night for a Harbor View Room) - especially when there are far better hotels in great locations for the same or less cost.

2  Thank phillytoboston
There are newer reviews for Newport Harbor Hotel & Marina

Reviewed 19 May 2012

Frequently travelling for work, I stay at a wide variety of hotels-from the simple Motel 6 to Westins and higher class resorts. The Newport Harbor Hotel provided one of the worst hotel experiences that I have ever had. For 230 dollars, I was provided dated accommodations with a toilet bowl that wasn't clean and a very stained bathtub that could only muster lukewarm water. At about midnight, a party started on our floor that continued through around 4 am. My calls to the front desk didn't result in any reduction in the loud noise. After my sleepless night, I related the noise problem to the front desk in a courteous manner during my check out. The manager responded that they would look into the matter. ...that doesn't really my wife and I out.

The uncontrolled noise was the real issue that I had with the hotel. I suppose that I could have complained about the toilet that barely flushed and wasn't clean, the dirty bathtub, etc., but I had driven 9 hours to get there that day and needed to drive another 9 hours the following day. I just wanted to rest. For the price, I would expect that I wouldn't have to be bothered with those details.

5  Thank torkuemada
schroeder01, General Manager at Newport Harbor Hotel & Marina, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2012

We apologize that you had an uncomfortable stay, particularly as it relates to noisy neighbors. Unfortunately, there are occasional hotel guests that have “too much” fun and disturb other guests. We do have security personnel on property and promptly send them to disruptive rooms to address any complaints. In most cases, the individuals do quiet down to everyone’s satisfaction, however there are times where the noise will start up again, resulting in immediate eviction. On the night in question, we had to evict two separate rooms after giving them an initial warning. We strive to create a pleasant atmosphere for all of our guests and take any noise complaints seriously.

Reviewed 13 May 2012

My husband and I attended a wedding at the Newport Marriott this weekend, and as that hotel was completely booked, we decided to stay at the Newport Harbor Hotel, as it was within walking distance. The price was a little staggering (over $200 a night for a small, non-view bedroom with 2 double beds at a below-average 3 star hotel), but we thought it might be worth it given the location. Unfortunately, the location was the only thing this hotel has going for it. Where to begin... 1: our room was not very clean (the bathtub was stained), 2: we had no hot water in the shower, and 3: the walls are paper thin. There must have been some sort of party going on the night we stayed, because at 2 am we were awakened by loud yelling and partying down the hall. I called the front desk to complain -- the person who answered said he would call security, but the noise remained (my husband had to put in ear plugs just to sleep). We were exhausted after a night of no sleep, and were so jealous of friends who spent a wonderful night at the Marriott next door. My advice to anyone going to Newport would be to stay at the Marriott, where you are guaranteed a great stay at a 4 star hotel for the same price as the dingy Harbor Hotel. I will NEVER stay at the Newport Harbor Hotel again and would never recommend it to anyone.

2  Thank Maria D
Reviewed 29 April 2012

This hotel was very nicely located right by many restaurants and shopping.
Rooms were very spacious, free internet and very clean.
Service at the reception was excellent and our room was ready at 11.00 am without a problem.
Newport is a wonderful city to visit and when we return to the area, would definitely return to this hotel.
We visited off season and as a result found the hotel excellent value for the money. Right on the water. Too bad it was too windy and cool to get out and enjoy the amentities to its full extent.

Room Tip: Didnt get a water view room, but the city view was also very nice. The ground floor waterview rooms...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Jacqueline O, Manager at Newport Harbor Hotel & Marina, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2012

We certainly appreciate your kind words and are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay in lovely Newport! It would be a pleasure to have you come back and visit during warmer weather so you can take advantage of our outdoor amenities and beautiful surroundings. Thank you again for staying with us at The Newport!

Reviewed 25 April 2012

We spent a long weekend at the NHH with our 2 young children. The plus points were: Excellent location, free parking (maybe just off-season?), large indoor (albeit cold) swimming pool, beautiful view from the Wharf front room, very good dinner in the hotel restaurant and room service breakfast. The only complaints would be so-so house-keeping- our room wasn't really well-cleaned prior to our arrival, and not made up until after 3 pm on the 2nd day, and the cribs I had requested were not delivered until I had called for them twice.

We lucked out with unseasonably warm weather and the location really shined. I'd definitely return!

Room Tip: Choose a wharf-view room on the 1st floor to have access to a little lawn/patio area with Adirondack...
Reviewed 24 April 2012

We stayed in this hotel in April for a night. It had a great location, check in was very quick, room was ready 2 hours prior to actual check in time. The room was nice, amenities were good. Room was set up more for two with toiletries and towels than the family of four we checked in. The pool was nice, overlooked marina, but was out of towels both times we went down. The view was beautiful and the location was perfect. Would definitely stay there again. The restaurant was not open on Sunday night, so I have no review for that or any room service as we did not use that particular services. Parking was free if you were a guest, 5$ if not.

Room Tip: Definitely ask for a room with harbor view, it was beautiful!
Reviewed 17 April 2012

It is a 3-stars hotel in Newport that we strongly recommend: perfect location, lovely view if your room is on the ocean side; staff is very kind, breakfast is excellent. You don't have the services of a 5-star, but compared to the price you pay this is an excellent deal. Rooms are traditional, but the quality of sleep is amazing. Comfortable and easy going.