Newport Harbor Hotel & Marina
Good 3.5/5
Good 3.5/5
Hotel Viking(Newport)
1,401 results
All reviewssalt watergreat locationdock masterharbor view roomhotel restaurantbowen's wharfnewport harborindoor poolwithin walking distanceadirondack chairsfront desk staffparking feerestaurants and shoppingpastryfirst flooroff seasoncoffee maker
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 3 June 2012

My husband and I just stayed at the Newport Harbor Hotel & Marina for our anniversary. We've stayed at other, more expensive and more luxurious hotels in Newport, but being wedding season this was one of the only hotels that had room when we booked.

The staff was lovely, not superb. The hotel definitely shows its age and could use an update, but was clean. The rooms are somewhat small and the bathroom is tiny. BUT, you cannot beat the location! It's right on the water, within walking distance to all major attractions, and is centrally located to all shopping and dining. You truly can't beat the location and value for the money.

We'd certainly stay here again. It's not luxurious, but it's all about the location.

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank BFM424
Reviewed 23 May 2012

We were given a weekend at Newport Harbor Hotel & Marina as a gift from out children. We arrived on a Friday late in the afternoon. Parking was limited even though we had to go through a gate and stop to get a pass to place in our car on the dashboard. It stated online that we would have to pay for parking each night. It was a pleasant surprise when we found out we didn't have to. I think they only charge in the summer. We were checked in rather quickly by friendly people at the front desk. Our room faced the front of the hotel which looks at the main road, which we liked. We could see what was going on in this busy tourist town. Our room was very clean and seemed recently updated. We had two double beds. This hotel may cost more money than others but it is worth it due to it's location. We parked our car and were able to leave it there. We were within walking distance to most of the area. I have stayed at two other hotels in the area and we would have to get in our car to even be where the shopping and restaurants were. We spent a night in the Pier 49 the outdoor bar attached to the hotel and met many people who told us that the side of the road we were on was for the older crowd. This was nice to know as my husband and I like to go out for drinks and don't want to be out with people that are our kids ages. So the side of the road that the Newport Harbor is on is the over 40 crowd! The other side of the road is the younger side. Overall we would definitely stay at this hotel again. It was a pleasant experience as well as clean and in the best location for the area.

1  Thank bdaniele
Reviewed 22 May 2012

While there's nothing "wrong" with this hotel, there's nothing "right," either. Our check-in was fine and efficient. My issue is really with the value - very mediocre quality for the price. The location is excellent, for sure, but the property is out-of-date, almost depressingly so - the decor is very '80s, and just doesn't hold up to my expectations for the cost. We've stayed at other Newport hotels with a similar price in a more peak season, with far better quality and ambiance.

The room...again, underwhelming. Out-of-date decor, the bed was VERY hard and uncomfortable. When we arrived there was a tray of dirty dishes and food to greet us directly outside our door - probably from the room next door, but something I would expect to be cleared away for check-in time. It remained until we came back to the room that night around 11pm. We even paid more for an upgrade, and it just didn't meet our expectations. The bathroom is utilitarian - there's no place to place cosmetics and toiletries, the shower is fine, but not luxurious.

I guess the bottom line is that I was expecting more luxury, or at the very least updated decor and facilities for what I considered to be a fairly high cost ($299/night for a Harbor View Room) - especially when there are far better hotels in great locations for the same or less cost.

2  Thank phillytoboston
Reviewed 19 May 2012

Frequently travelling for work, I stay at a wide variety of hotels-from the simple Motel 6 to Westins and higher class resorts. The Newport Harbor Hotel provided one of the worst hotel experiences that I have ever had. For 230 dollars, I was provided dated accommodations with a toilet bowl that wasn't clean and a very stained bathtub that could only muster lukewarm water. At about midnight, a party started on our floor that continued through around 4 am. My calls to the front desk didn't result in any reduction in the loud noise. After my sleepless night, I related the noise problem to the front desk in a courteous manner during my check out. The manager responded that they would look into the matter. ...that doesn't really my wife and I out.

The uncontrolled noise was the real issue that I had with the hotel. I suppose that I could have complained about the toilet that barely flushed and wasn't clean, the dirty bathtub, etc., but I had driven 9 hours to get there that day and needed to drive another 9 hours the following day. I just wanted to rest. For the price, I would expect that I wouldn't have to be bothered with those details.

5  Thank torkuemada
schroeder01, General Manager at Newport Harbor Hotel & Marina, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2012

We apologize that you had an uncomfortable stay, particularly as it relates to noisy neighbors. Unfortunately, there are occasional hotel guests that have “too much” fun and disturb other guests. We do have security personnel on property and promptly send them to disruptive rooms to address any complaints. In most cases, the individuals do quiet down to everyone’s satisfaction, however there are times where the noise will start up again, resulting in immediate eviction. On the night in question, we had to evict two separate rooms after giving them an initial warning. We strive to create a pleasant atmosphere for all of our guests and take any noise complaints seriously.

Reviewed 13 May 2012

My husband and I attended a wedding at the Newport Marriott this weekend, and as that hotel was completely booked, we decided to stay at the Newport Harbor Hotel, as it was within walking distance. The price was a little staggering (over $200 a night for a small, non-view bedroom with 2 double beds at a below-average 3 star hotel), but we thought it might be worth it given the location. Unfortunately, the location was the only thing this hotel has going for it. Where to begin... 1: our room was not very clean (the bathtub was stained), 2: we had no hot water in the shower, and 3: the walls are paper thin. There must have been some sort of party going on the night we stayed, because at 2 am we were awakened by loud yelling and partying down the hall. I called the front desk to complain -- the person who answered said he would call security, but the noise remained (my husband had to put in ear plugs just to sleep). We were exhausted after a night of no sleep, and were so jealous of friends who spent a wonderful night at the Marriott next door. My advice to anyone going to Newport would be to stay at the Marriott, where you are guaranteed a great stay at a 4 star hotel for the same price as the dingy Harbor Hotel. I will NEVER stay at the Newport Harbor Hotel again and would never recommend it to anyone.

2  Thank Maria D