“Great location but needs updating!”

Newport Harbor Hotel & Marina
Ranked #6 of 21 Hotels in Newport
Reviewed 23 February 2013

We had never stayed here before and our first impression when we first drove up was "wow what a great central location!" Unfortunately, that was the only positive about this hotel. Our first room location was on the ground level and right in the general traffic area that leads to the pool and restaurant so we asked to have our room changed which they did do for both my husband and I and the other couple we were traveling with. Only one room was ready right away but that was understandable as it was 2 hrs prior to check in time. Our new room location was located on the fourth floor which was better and less noisy but it was cold and drafty and really outdated which made it look dirty and dingey. The next day (we stayed two nights) our room was never serviced! We informed the desk staff of this and were told that the housekeeping department had already left for the day but offered us new towels and bottled water. If that wasn't bad enough, the day of checkout we found a pair of someone else's dirty socks which bore a huge hole in the heel of one and riddled with the person's dead skin cells! Yuck!! I know we weren't being unreasonable because we weren't the only ones that had issues with this hotel as witnessed firsthand by others registering complaints with the hotel management. It's a shame because this could really be a gem if the owners got their act together!

• Stayed: February 2013
2  Thank Weenie42
Write a ReviewReviews (1,370)

Reviewed 21 February 2013

We reserved a room for 2 days starting on the 2/17/2013. Check-in was at 4pm, well they weren't ready until 5pm. We would probably still be waiting if we didn't go to the desk to inquire again. The location of the hotel was great, however their customer service was not that friendly. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone I know and like. It was very dirty, smell of mildew in the bathroom, the towel rack was loose on the wall, and the thermostat was unpredictable.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank RitaAcc123
schroeder01, General Manager at Newport Harbor Hotel & Marina, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay. Check-in is guaranteed at 4:00pm and we would like to extend our sincere apology if we were unable to accommodate this guarantee. We keep a phone number on file for all reservations to ensure the guest is contacted as soon as their room is available. Should you encounter anything during your stay that is unsatisfactory, we strongly encourage you to immediately contact a Manager on Duty to rectify the situation. We constantly aspire to exceed our guest’s expectations and it is disappointing that we fell short this time.

Reviewed 18 February 2013

Hotel is not bad, room was clean and beds were comfy. Bath needed maintenance, fixtures in the shower are just tired. Hard to get the temperature right. The worst part of the hotel is the whole check-in and parking procedure. Check-in was painfully slow. I not sure if the front desk folks don't know what they are doing or what... I just can't put my finger on it. The other thing that was really annoying is that I went to the front desk to ask a question and the desk clerk took 3 phone calls while I was standing there. Just got really frustrating. I would stay here again but it wouldn't be my first choice.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank JohnnyB234
Reviewed 8 February 2013

Hi,

Do not stay at this hotel it was horrible. My room was damaged upon arrival and their pool was shut down. My coffee machine didnt work either. When I checked out and left everything was fine until I got home and checked my bank account. They charged me $250 dollars on top of my stay for smoking. They said someone smelled smoke in the hallway but the bar is attached to the hallway. They said they were convinced it came from my room but I have never smoked. Complete scam do not use a credit card if you stay there they are trying to scam money out of people.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Peter M
schroeder01, General Manager at Newport Harbor Hotel & Marina, responded to this reviewResponded 13 February 2013

It is with great disappointment to read this review. We apologize for any guestroom related concerns and certainly encourage our guests to notify the staff immediately to reach a resolution. A notice was listed on the homepage of our website in addition to signs posted around the hotel regarding the pool being temporality unavailable while undergoing a renovation. Safety is always our main priority. Although we recognize that inconveniences may have been caused, we went great lengths to assist our guests and recommend fun alternative options. We are pleased to announce our pool and pool deck renovation is now complete and ready for guests use again!

We would also like to note that registration cards are handed to all guests upon arrival for their review and signature to include the following: “The Newport is a 100% smoke free property. Smoking is not permitted throughout the building to include the guestroom balconies. This policy is strictly enforced and subject to a $250 restoration fee.” As stated, we do not permit any type of smoking inside our premises including our restaurant and bar, which is why there are designated areas outside. We appreciate our guests being cognizant of this policy as we take great pride in offering a smoke-free property.

Reviewed 19 January 2013

The hotel has a great location and that is about it. I stayed here for business and found the hotel to be outdated and in desperate need of renovations. I personally would never stay here again if I had to pay myself. That being said, if average accomodations are something you are comfortable with, they do offer an indoor pool, central location to many attractions/restaurants and located on the water. I was just dissapointed with my stay, I had higher expectations.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank khagerty2002
schroeder01, General Manager at Newport Harbor Hotel & Marina, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2013

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback about your business stay. Aside from our nicely appointed guestroom accommodations with views of both Newport Harbor or Queen Anne Square, our property offers an indoor heated pool, sundeck overlooking the harbor, men’s and women’s saunas, concierge service, onsite restaurant Pier 49, and the best downtown location on the harbor, just steps from Bowen’s Wharf, area attractions, shopping and restaurants. We do feel these features make our hotel the ideal property in Newport for any occasion. As a fellow Rhode Islander, we hope you consider staying or dining with us again!

Reviewed 28 December 2012

I stayed here for a business meeting which was held onsite. The accomodations for the meeting were nice enough. We also stayed for dinner onsite and I have to say that the food was wonderful. We had a private meeting room for dinner so I'm not sure what they have for a restuarant but I was very pleased. Room was average - nothing special but no real complaints either. Well located in Newport.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
Jacqueline O, Manager at Newport Harbor Hotel & Marina, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2013

We would like to thank you for writing a review regarding your business meeting at our hotel. We are delighted to hear your party enjoyed dining onsite. Alongside our food & beverage team, Executive Chef Agnieszka Richard recently launched a new menu featuring many specialty dishes so we greatly appreciate your positive feedback! We look forward to hosting your next event with us in the near future!

Reviewed 19 December 2012

I have stayed here a few times over the course of many years, recently again this month. For location, it cannot be beat. Situated on the water at Bowen Wharf, and smack in the middle of all the shopping, restaurants and nightlife, you cannot beat the location. The hotel itself is not exactly new, but has been perfectly maintained. I place it into the same category as I would a very good brand name hotel, such as a Hilton or Marriott. Its a very nice hotel. I have stayed here on and off season, and it has thus far has proven to be very good each time. Comfortable beds and linens, plush bathrobes, nice toiletry amenities, secured parking, gorgeous view, nice little restaurant adjacent to the hotel, a very nice staff and a stones throw away from all the goodies of the waterfront. Great hotel in a beautiful town.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family

Thank you very much for your kind review. We are pleased to hear that you have repeatedly enjoyed staying with us at The Newport Harbor Hotel and Marina! It is rewarding to know that we could play a part in your very positive experience in Newport. We look forward to hearing from you as you plan your next trip back to the beautiful “City by the Sea!”