“The place to stay in Newport RI”

Newport Harbor Hotel & Marina
Ranked #7 of 21 Hotels in Newport
Sarasota, Florida
“The place to stay in Newport RI”
Reviewed 6 December 2013

We completely enjoyed our stay at this hotel. The front desk staff, Leya was very accommodating and helpful. Because we were running a little late with the 11:00am check out time do to oversleeping, we requested a :15 grace period with check out time, Leya granted us an hour, giving us time to enjoy the pool. The room was tastefully appointed and more than adequately stocked. The heater was silent, the TV had a lot of stations. As far as the hotel itself, the common areas were inviting and spacious. The salt water pool was warm, stocked with towels and has many chairs and lounge chairs. The restaurant Pier 49 was also a pleasant surprise. We had both dinner and breakfast, finding it more convenient to eat in-house. The menu had various selection and the food was prepared to our liking. The breakfast server did an exceptional job of serving us, she was attentive and friendly. We unfortunately cannot recall her name, however we went on morning of 12/6 and believe her to be the only waitress working. We met the banquet manager, Patricia O'Neal who was especially helpful. I met up with her while awaiting my coffee to go. She was very friendly and struck up a conversation with me about how we came to select this particular hotel. In the midst of our conversation, I mention I was had cancer and was having a break from chemotherapy and my husband and I decided to get away for a night. She immediately hugged me and offered emotional support. She also personally paid for my breakfast. She briefly described her experience with cancer and was very supportive of my position. Because of my interactions with Patricia O'Neal, Lyea, and the restaurant waitress we plan to return to the hotel the very next time we have a break from chemo. Thank you Groupon for recommending this outstanding establishment! Sincerely, Cathi Campbell

Room Tip: we stayed in 203 which faced the town. It was quiet, clean, and well appointed
Green Features: We applauded these practices and were pleased to comply with them.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PistolbPete
Jacqueline O, Manager at Newport Harbor Hotel & Marina, responded to this review, 9 December 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a glowing review on your recent stay! We strive to deliver exceptional customer service to each and every one of our guests and are delighted that we were able to exceed your expectations. It is staff members like Lea, Patty, and Maricel who help to create memorable guest experiences in such a hospitable environment. We are proud to have them on our team and we all look forward to your return visit to our property in the near future!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (356)
Newington, Connecticut
Reviewed 2 December 2013

Dont use debit card to pay for room. Beautiful view but definite attitude at check in. Not welcoming. Policy is to charge for two nights if using debit card and then crediting a few days later . Lounge had entertainment on weekend. Didn't see anyone using hotel restaurant!

• Stayed November 2013
Jacqueline O, Manager at Newport Harbor Hotel & Marina, responded to this review, 6 December 2013
Thank you for choosing to stay with us last weekend. We are thrilled to hear you enjoyed our magnificent harbor view and live entertainment at Pier 49. As a hotel policy, when using a debit card for payment, we authorize funds for each room, plus $50 per night for anticipated incidental charges. We then release any unused funds at the time of check out. Our sincere apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused during your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Branford, Connecticut
Reviewed 1 December 2013 via mobile

We arrived to find that the lobby is quite nice. I asked where the restaurant was and was told it was at the end of the hall on the other end of the hotel. For what it is worth you can hardly see the harbor. The food was terrible. We had the Breakfast Package but all the food was cold as it was a buffet. I asked for fried eggs and was told that they were not available and that what was there is what you get. The coffee was served in clear glass mugs and you could look right thru the mug and see the boats on the other side! We paid extra for a full breakfast not a stinking cold buffet.
Now on to the room. What a dump. The shower handle was falling off and it turned back and forth doing nothing. The sink and tub did not drain as they were plugged. When I tried to open the window it almost fell out on the floor. As for the hot air heat under the window you ether died of dry heat or froze to death. The next morning I had nose bleeds from the hot air. There also was mold all over the sink fixtures. We left the room at 11:50 Am for the day. When we got back at 6:00 PM to change for dinner we found the room was not made up. We called the front seat and were told that it was our fault because we had a " Do not disturb tag" in the door lock. We were told that they started making up rooms at 9:00 Am in the morning. Believe me, There was no one making up rooms at this time of day. I was told I would have to reuse the wet towels and they could do nothing. The second night they had made up the room when we arrived back after dinner. Upon making a cup of coffee I found that there was no sugar or cream in the room. If you can not get the simple things right how can one expect a good stay in this dump. DO NOT STAY HERE AND DO NOT EAT HERE.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Robin R
Jacqueline O, Manager at Newport Harbor Hotel & Marina, responded to this review, 3 December 2013
We would like to extend our sincere apologies that we did not meet your expectations during your recent stay. We are dedicated to providing the best accommodations and service. We take all of our guest’s feedback wholeheartedly and into consideration when making improvements to our property. It is our hope that you will consider staying with us again during a future visit to Newport.
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Business trip hotel reservation, cannot say enough about the awesome front desk staff. Rooms were very clean and comfortable, and the WiFi was easily accessed. I was checked in within minutes and everything in the room was great, but the best feature of all was the room view. I was ground level, water-side, with a sliding door from which I could take a dozen quick steps to the marina. Just beautiful!

Room Tip: If possible, you really want to be ground-level and marina-side!
Green Features: I saw the flyer about how environmentally friendly the Newport Harbor Hotel & Marina was, and so I hung my towel over the shower curtain - indicating (I thought) that they didn't need to replace my towels. They did so, anyways, so I'm not sure what happened.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Jacqueline O, Manager at Newport Harbor Hotel & Marina, responded to this review, 27 November 2013
Thank you for choosing to stay with us while traveling to RI for business. We are thrilled that you enjoyed our front desk staff, comfortable accommodations, and beautiful views. We feel extremely fortunate to be located on the harbor in historic downtown Newport with breathtaking views of Newport Harbor and Queen Anne Square. We are delighted that you were able to take advantage of our surroundings during your visit and certainly look forward to welcoming you back again!
NY
Reviewed 4 November 2013

This hotel is the perfect location for getting around Thames St. It is smack dab in the center of it all, and most restaurants and shops are in short walking distance. That was great for my friend and I for when we went out to eat and hear live music across the street! The staff was very accommodating, especially Elias Risco (sp?) who so kindly mailed an item back to me that I accidently left in the room. Thank you so much!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
schroeder01, General Manager at Newport Harbor Hotel & Marina, responded to this review, 6 November 2013
We are thrilled that you found our hotel to be “very nice and conveniently located.” We believe that our property truly has the best location on the harbor in the heart of downtown, within walking distance to shopping, dining, entertainment, and other local attractions. We look forward to you staying with us again the next time you are in Newport!
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 2 November 2013 via mobile

This hotel is located right in the heart of downtown Newport. The location is great for someone who wants to park the car at their hotel and leave it. It is also in the middle of the harbor so many of the rooms have a great view.

The rooms are in serious need of an update. Everything is showing age and in some cases appears dirty. I was surprised to see them this way based on the price and the level of competition in town. When this was the Treadway Hotel there were only a couple of other places to stay. Now Newport has a number of options and this hotel should feel the need to compete. The worst part of the room had to be the bathroom. I honestly have never seen a hotel bathroom this small in the United States. If you are claustrophobic you will probably need to leave the door open.

I really enjoy Newport but the next trip will not include a stay at this hotel.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank DJA1972
Thank you for taking the time to write on review on your recent stay. We appreciate you complimenting our location and harbor views, however are disappointed that we were not able to meet your standards beyond those two attributes. We understand there are many accommodation choices in Newport, but we absolutely take pride in offering the best location, service, and value. It is our hope that you will reconsider staying with us again should your travels bring you back to the area.
Minneapolis, MN
Reviewed 30 October 2013

We were here for a wedding in October. Accomodations were very good, but the employees we worked with were exceptional. Ana on the from desk, conceirges Paula and Freida, and Leo in housekeeping all helped us through different concerns. I left a new pair of pants in the room. Leo not only found them, called me, but came in on his day off to send them FedEx overnight.

Room Tip: Beautiful harbor view rooms
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
schroeder01, General Manager at Newport Harbor Hotel & Marina, responded to this review, 1 November 2013
We are truly overjoyed with your glowing review. Thank you for highlighting the exceptional service you received and mentioning specifically Ana, Paula, Frieda, and Leo. We are proud to have such wonderful staff members on our team and we all look forward to welcoming you back again soon!