“Great location”

Ranked #7 of 21 Hotels in Newport
Milford,ME
“Great location”
Reviewed 2 September 2014

Very convenient location with a great view and within walking distance of many shops and restaurants. Request a first floor room with a great lawn area and chairs right outside your door for a great harbor view. Bathrooms are on the small side but very clean. Front desk staff very helpful.

Room Tip: First floor room
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Sharod B, Manager at Newport Harbor Hotel & Marina, responded to this review, 4 September 2014
We are delighted to hear that you were able to enjoy the benefits of our lovely downtown location. Our first floor harbor view rooms all offer sliding glass doors which provide entry to our marina lawn where you can relax in our Adirondack chairs and take in our stunning Newport Harbor views. It was a pleasure having you as our guest and we look forward to your next visit.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (374)
Colchester, CT
Reviewed 2 September 2014

We paid an extremely high price for our hotel room and it was the size of a postage stamp! The outside bar was grey and depressing and the sunset bar was not even set up on Sunday night (of Labor Day Weekend). Also, on top of paying a very high price for the room, they charged an extra $20 per night to park your car. Also, there was no hotel book in the room to show us where things were located. When we asked for one we were told that the front desk clerk could explain everything to us.
One night we waited an hour for our dinner outside on the deck.
We had to walk through the pool area to get outside. This wouldn't be so bad except it is very hot and humid in the pool area and hot/humid air is not good for dressed up hair.
I too, expected luxury and just got okay.
Too expensive for what you get.

• Stayed September 2014, travelled as a couple
We thank you for taking the time to write this review regarding your stay. We are sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations. We did decide to cancel our Sunset Lawn Party on Sunday due to the inclement weather that was approaching. In season we do charge $20 for parking as do most properties in the area at a much higher rate where it might be include in their “resort fee”. You can exit the pool area to gain access to the marina lawn, but there are alternate routes as well. I agree, waiting one hour for your food is not acceptable and I do apologize. We do hope that you will provide us any opportunity to better serve you the next time you are in Newport.
New Haven, Connecticut
Reviewed 2 September 2014

I spent two nights in August here at a very reasonable rate and enjoyed a pleasant stay. You really can't beat the location if you want to be in downtown Newport. I had a fourth floor room overlooking the harbor - great views. The room was very clean, the bath was modern and well stocked. The water pressure and amount of hot water available were excellent. Most of all the bed was very comfortable and firm. The room is well lit and spacious enough for two people. The hotel staff, from those who check you in to those who clean your room, were all very polite, friendly and helpful. I had breakfast at the restaurant on both mornings. I chose ala carte offerings that suited my needs well. The Irish oatmeal with fresh fruits one day and the Belgian waffle with fresh fruit the next. Both were excellent and the wait staff were all very attentive and courteous. Parking cost $20.00 a day in the adjacent lot and will be added to your bill. This allows you to enter and leave at anytime during your stay and is open 24/7.

The only minor "faults" I could find, if you want to nit pick, were that the windows could have been cleaner and I would have liked to have a power strip for my electronic devices. Otherwise I had no complaints at all. I highly recommend this hotel and would return.

Green Features: The room had a recycling basket and a policy of only picking up the used towels that you leave by the floor.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Sharod B, Manager at Newport Harbor Hotel & Marina, responded to this review, 3 September 2014
We thank you for taking the time to write this phenomenal review. From our location to our accommodations to our restaurant, we are thrilled that we met your expectations. We look forward to welcoming you back the next time your travels bring you to Newport!
Reviewed 1 September 2014

One of the most expensive hotel rooms I've ever stayed in! And unfortunately not the best hotel! Rooms were small! However excellent location and Paula the Concierge was really helpful. For the price I paid I expected luxury and all I got was ok.
Good sunset views from the lawn and right next to lots of good restaurants.

• Stayed August 2014
We are saddened to hear we were unable to exceed your expectations. We do appreciate the kind words regarding Paula, our location and sunset views. It is our hope that you provide us the opportunity to reclaim your business.
NY
Reviewed 29 August 2014

My wife and I spent 3 nights here late August 2014. I rarely give negative reviews but this hotel sold us a wharf view room at a premium price for a room that did not have a wharf view! When you stand in the room and look straight out the window you cannot see any part of the wharf. See the picture I posted. I cannot believe this is advertised as a wharf view. You can only see a bit of the wharf if you stand near the right wall of the room facing the window. You will see a bit more when on the right side of the balcony. Calling this a wharf view is a real stretch. It should be advertised as a parking/street view.
My wife called to voice our displeasure and the hotel did nothing for us. I understand that they could not change rooms but they could have done something to soothe two guests who felt they had been duped.

Other negatives-Two used drink glasses sat on the window sill outside our room for 24 hrs.
When walking down the stairs you will see empty room service trays with leftover food sitting on the landings. Yuck! The ice machine on our floor did not work. When we checked in the bed lamps and coffee maker did not work as well.

A couple positives-The hotel is in a very good location and I didn't feel it was run down as others have said. The staff seemed friendly. The bed lamp and coffee maker issue we had were both fixed promptly.

It's too bad the hotel falsely advertised our room and the management didn't care enough to
refund the premium we paid for a room with a view. They should have at least given us a dinner or a couple breakfasts at the hotel restaurant. Based on the reaction or lack thereof from the hotel management I would not recommend this hotel or ever stay here again. I’ll spend my money on a hotel whose management cares if clients leave satisfied.

Seems what management does is respond to Trip Advisor reviews
saying they are sorry and that the appropriate parties have been contacted to rectify the problems. I think this is a ploy so future visitors think the actually care. I have first hand experience that they do not.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Sharod B, Manager at Newport Harbor Hotel & Marina, responded to this review, 31 August 2014
Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your 3-night stay. We are sorry to hear that you felt we falsely advertised our room type, which was not our intent. We do value and review all guest feedback to improve in those areas and to make the overall experience better for everyone. It is our hopes that you will provide us with the opportunity to better serve you and your wife the next time your travels bring you back to the "City by the Sea”.
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 28 August 2014

I had the pleasure of staying at the Newport Harbor Hotel & Marina this past August. The staff, Robin, Jenny, Debby Neves and Kristine Cox went out of their way to make sure everything went better than expected. They were professional, easy-to-do business with and extremely accommodating. The entire experience was very positive and their pleasant/assuring demeanor made all of the guests feel welcome. If planning a trip to Newport, I highly recommend you consider this facility as you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
It was our pleasure hosting your company meeting this month. It is our goal to not only meet, but exceed all of your needs from the initial planning through the final guest check out. We thank you for your business and we look forward to welcoming you and your company back for another great experience in the near future.
Westchester County, New York
Reviewed 28 August 2014

First, the positives. The hotel is in an absolutely perfect location. You are in walking distance to everything, except the beach. The harbor views are spectacular. Everything is outside your doorstep. Boat tours, restaurants, shopping, nightlife, look no further. Second positive is the staff. Staff gets the WOW factor. Helpful. Beyond helpful. Courtney at the front desk was so wonderful and just went above and beyond. Nasia was also extremely helpful every time. If there is a five star for staff, they get it. The restaurant Pier 49 is amazing also. Don't miss their daily breakfast buffet. Just amazing. I had a city view room and quite honestly, don't pay extra for water views. Water view rooms can be noisy due to nearby restaurant music. City view was much quieter. 1st floor rooms were best in my opinion because you didn't deal with the elevator and out the door to the action in one minute! This hotel had some amazing quiet areas with adirondack chairs to look at the harbor. So nice. OK. Negatives. Indoor pool was too hot and humid and uncomfortable. Rooms could have been cleaner. They weren't horrendous, but tub needed a good scrubbing and the whole room itself needed better cleaning. That was the only reason why it didn't get a five star. But on the whole, it was a nice place. I stayed with my family of 7 and 2 children. Don't hesitate, go.

Room Tip: City view is quieter. 1st floor rooms are so convenient.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank travelersfromnyx4
We appreciate you sharing your experience with us and highlighting our fantastic downtown waterfront location, 5 star customer service and our delicious breakfast buffet at Pier 49. We apologize for not meeting your cleanliness expectations. We hope you enjoyed your stay as much as we enjoyed having your family stay with us. We look to welcoming all of you back on your next visit to Newport!