“Comfortable hotel and good value for money”

Newport Harbor Hotel & Marina
Ranked #6 of 21 Hotels in Newport
Crickhowell, United Kingdom
“Comfortable hotel and good value for money”
Reviewed 13 April 2009

Despite previous reviews regarding the need to upgrade the rooms we found the hotel to be nicely presented. Perhaps they have already started updating and redecorating as our room on the 4th floor was of a very good standard. The only weakness we could find was in the bathroom where imitation plastic marble abounds! Staff were very helpful and made us feel very welcome.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (369)
Hartford, CT
Reviewed 12 April 2009

I stayed there on April 10th 2009 for a few days with my girlfriend. The location was perfect. The room had a beautiful view of the harbor. The hotel is in a spectacular location with secure parking, however.. the pool deck is still incredibly slippery! It has not been fixed! I got out of the pool only to face the danger that was the slippery pool deck. I slipped and scraped my knee and ankle, and was humiliated in front of my girfriend... I also saw several small children fall, however they did not seem to be hurt, except for one who slipped on the ramp in the entrance to the pool, but I think he was already crying for unrelated reasons.

The hotel is walking distance to two incredible restaurants, the Black Pearl and the Red Parrott. I would also recommend a small deli/coffee bar on the second floor of a building near starbucks (I'm sorry I don't remember the name!)

I would recommend this hotel to anyone, with a small caveat to be extremely cautious when entering and exiting the pool!!!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
Massachusetts
Reviewed 18 March 2009

I stayed here on 2/19 with my three young children and my sister. The indoor pool deck is VERY slippery when wet. I've never encountered this anywhere else. Two of my children fell and my sister also slipped. I fell and hit my head and ended up with a HUGE egg on my head, a cut that bled for a while, and a black eye (basically my left side of my face was black, green and yellow) that lasted 3 weeks. My cheekbone and forehead are still sore to the touch a month later.

I talked with the manager, Brad, the next day and he said they had similar problems before. I've emailed him twice since and spoken to him on the phone. I wanted to know what they were going to do to fix the problem and asked that he get back to me to let me know. I just don't want anyone else to suffer as a result of their negligence. It's been a month and I haven't heard anything back from The Newport. I assume nothing has been changed so please let others be forewarned of the danger there.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with family
boston
Reviewed 2 February 2009

We saw an ad for the hotel in the Boston Globe for $95 a room so decided to call for a quick winter getaway. We had a great time. We were given an upgrade to a room on the ocean which had a beautiful view. Took a tour of Newport on a trolley on Sat. which was good. We had already been to the mansions. We thought the lounge and restaurant were great. The bartender John couldn't have been more friendly and accomodating. Nice fireplace with comfortable chairs in the lounge. You could walk to some stores and other restaurants even though it was 20 degrees they were close enough for the weather not to bother us. The only negative thing I would say is the bathrooms are outdated but that didn't bother us. We thought everything else was great.

• Liked — the lounge
  • Disliked — the bathroom
  • Stayed January 2009
Reviewed 29 October 2008

We booked a stay here for a family reunion with two families staying here. We had a wharf view, while the other family had the parking lot view. Having a view of the water made a real difference - you didn't notice the other problems in the room as much when you could stare out at the boats and the harbor.

Basically, the place needs an overhaul. An anecdote from our trip kind of summed up the overall impression: the lodgenet movie service did not work for any movie we tried to order, on any night. The woman at the front desk told me that she'd complained to management but they told her lodgenet "worked fine" and wouldn't be likely to do anything without a strong customer complaint. That attitude from management to the hotel could be seen in all the small details. The decor and amenities were dated. The bathrooms had these tacky vinyl "faux marble" inserts. The TV armoires and the TVs are from the 1980s. The cement around the pool is crumbling and covered in black stuff that I assumed was mold. The pool bathrooms and saunas are old and smelly. And there is an overall dinginess to the hallways and common areas.

The housekeeping was particularly poor. There was crusted dirt in the corners of our bathroom and around the threshold to the bathroom. There were piles of dirt where the carpets met the walls. There were pubic hairs on the ceiling of the bathroom. There were streaks of "something" running down the glass of the pictures over the bed. And chairs erupted in dust when you sat on them. I asked that our bed linens be changed by placing the "card" on the bed two days in a row, and they were not. Garbage emptied in the bathroom was spilled with the debris left on the floor behind the trash can. And I tipped $5/day. The housekeeping staff seemed very friendly, though. Perhaps they need a better manager? There was one exception: the one elderly woman who manned the laundry by the pool. She scowled at us every time we passed by. And why do they keep the ugly, dirty laundry room open at all hours when it's right en route to the pool?

I will say the linens and towels were new and PLUSH, and I found the front desk staff to be very friendly - all the staff were quite accommodating with a quick smile. The toiletries were better than most, as well.

The place just needs a big renovation, better attention to cleanliness, and some TLC. It could be great, and it's priced as such, but it's only good.

• Liked — Location, staff
  • Disliked — Dated amenities, nonfunctional movie rental, dinginess and lack of cleanliness
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled with family
Closter, New Jersey
Reviewed 19 October 2008

Looking forward to the annual Seafood Festival in Newport, RI - - my boyfriend surprised me with a two night stay at the Newport Harbor Hotel and Marina. Having passed by it many times , I looked forward to being able to experience staying right in the heart of Newport. He had booked this stay back in the middle of August, to allow us the guarantee of a room during the popular festival. Upon our arrival, the lobby staff was not friendly at all - and rather cold. When we arrived up to Room 430, I could see instant disappointment on my boyfriends face after he stepped out on the balcony. He asked me for the confirmation I had printed out and pointed out that we were supposed to have a wharf view....and not the parking lot view given. I suggested going downstairs to talk it over with the desk. He came back 10 minutes later and asked me to go over to room 404 with him to see if that one was better. Room 404 offered a better view of the Wharf...we could nicely see the docks as well as all the restaurants and stores. My boyfriend still wasn't happy because he wanted a direct water view for the $326 or so a night. Because I didn't go downstairs, and do not know how reception handled the situation - - I cannot truly vouch for what happened. They did offer us two free breakfast vouchers to make up for what had happened. If they had simply given us the room we had thought we booked - it would have been a different story. We weren't there for a free breakfast but a room with a water view. Other than that....the hotel itself is fine. For the amount of money being paid you expect a whole lot more! The walls are thin, so in the morning we heard other rooms waking up, showering, talking as well as being woken up by dumpsters outside throwing around glass.

Our weekend overall wasn't ruined by our stay at the hotel but was hoping to make it an over the top experience. It's location will never be beaten but the quality of the product and service can certain improve (especially at the prices being charged)!

• Liked — Great location, right in the heart of Newport. Surrounded by the wharf.
  • Disliked — Thin hotel walls, could hear everything.
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ekh886
New York
Reviewed 15 October 2008

My husband and I had a horrible experience at this hotel. I dare say the worst ever! The hotel is not inexpensive, but seems very cheap all around; from the employees who were not only sort of slow, but also kind of rude to the lobby - can they even call that a lobby? to the rooms, which had bad decor, rough sheets and paper thin walls. The hotel is clearly banking on being on the water, which is pretty hard to see from the majority of rooms. From the second we walked in the experience was bad - our room was not ready - our friend's reservation was lost and the employees at the front desk seemed annoyed with us, even though we were checking in at 8pm. When we finally got into our room we were really disappointed - the decor was horrible with pictures hanging crooked and you could hear our neighbors toilet flushing. I have stayed in Newport a number of times and this is by far the worst hotel there. Stay at the Marriot - just a couple of doors down - clean, nice, comfortable beds or the Hyatt on Goat Island. Both are much, much better for about the same price. This place needs to go - it is taking up valuable space on Newport's pretty watet front.

• Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple