“Time to start thinking about the visitors!!”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Viking

Hotel Viking
Ranked #4 of 21 Hotels in Newport
GreenLeadersBronze level
Northamptonshire
“Time to start thinking about the visitors!!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2012

This is a smart comfortable hotel in a gorgeous town, and only a ten minute stroll from the waterside. We had a vast room and a good dinner in the restaurant, so why aren't I rating it higher? Well, three things

First, the bed in our room was so high that my wife, who is not tall, had the greatest difficulty in getting in and out of it at all. It really needed its own escalator, and we quickly ceased finding it funny.

Secondly, when we went down for breakfast, we found that it was - can you believe this? - not available to 'ordinary' residents, because the room was booked by a conference of some kind. We could see that the room was serving breakfast to conference delegates, and that it was very far from full. Could room be found for us? No, it could not. Disgraceful.

As you might suppose, we were extremely unhappy about this, and the hotel graciously waived the overnight parking charge. We actually hadn't been aware that there was one for the open air and not secure piece of tarmac across the road, but there was, and it was $30. Good grief. Strike three.

This hotel needs to sort out its priorities.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
mmalloy, Exec. Admin. Asst. at Hotel Viking, responded to this review, 6 November 2012
Our apologies to you and your wife that your stay was not up to what we pride ourselves on and that is the best in guest service .

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (466)
Bristol, Rhode Island
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2012

Last Saturday, October 27th 2012, I had the good fortune to be a guest at an elegant wedding, the reception for which was at the Viking Ballroom. From the moment I left my car with the valet to the time I retrieved my keys. I felt I was in a parallel universe. EVERYTHING and I mean everything about this wedding for memorable. The waiters, bartenders, hotel staff and management were attentive, professional, organized and responsive. The wedding guests exceeded 200 invitees and yet, the food was beautifully plated, hot, and cooked to perfection. The courses were precisely paced. Kudos to the chefs and kitchen staff and especially the waitstaff who met every request throughout the entire reception. I left absolutely impressed with the entire experience. I am 63 and have many to many weddings in this country and abroad. I must wholeheartedly admit that this was "one of the best weddings I have ever attended!"

Though I have lived in the area for the past 7 years, I have never visited the Viking. I intend to be a regular from now on. Do go, you will not be disappointed. Thank you Viking Hotel and thank you to Marco and Jessica, the wedding couple, for a wonderful memory.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
mmalloy, Exec. Admin. Asst. at Hotel Viking, responded to this review, 7 November 2012
One of the nicest tributes to us is to have a Newport resident actually experience what our wonderful Hotel Viking has to offer. It is the best public relations for a local business. Your description of the entire wedding celebration for Marco and Jessica, is also a fabulous account of how all of our associates have been trained to work in sync with each other. We wholeheartedly thank you for your review. When you visit us please be sure to let us know so we can provide you with the best in guest service we offer all of our guests.
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2012

While on business in Newport, I treated myself to some overdue relaxation time at Spa Terre @ The Historic Hotel Viking. Upon My arrival, I was greeted by a welcoming receptionist, who made me feel at ease, and showed me to the changing room. After fiddling with the lockers a bit, I made myself comfortable in the relaxation room. It was a very soothing atmosphere! They offer a variety of hot tea, cucumber infused water, fruit and a few snacks while you wait. The facialist met me promptly and extended her hand with a warm smile introducing herself ( I'm in the business world,and found this very professional) Melissa reviewed the facial I would be having (Spa terre Signature) and made sure I knew what it would entail. I felt immediately, that my comfort and experience was of her utmost concern. Being a "Type A" personality, it's hard for me to relax. That was not the case during this heavenly facial, as her angel like fingers soothed my tension away. During the facial, I was educated on my skin and products were suggested, but not in a pushing way. I appreciated that. This facial went above and beyond my expectations! After, I returned to the changing room and continued the relaxing process in the steam room. ( which was extremly clean) All in All this was a wonderful experience. If you're in need of relaxation, I HIGHLY recommend Spa Terre @ The Historic Hotel Viking!

Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
mmalloy, Exec. Admin. Asst. at Hotel Viking, responded to this review, 5 November 2012
The ultimate objective of our Spa Terre’ Associates is to provide the ambience for our guests from beginning to end. By sharing your comments and thoughts with others, you have painted a wonderful visual of how a spa Signature Facial can be soothing and relaxing. Thank you for your exhilarating review.
Portsmouth , RI
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2012

My husband and I went to Spa Terre at the Viking for a much needed relaxing day. Upon arrival it was five star service all the way. The front desk staff at the spa treated us like royalty, Emily was so kind and attentive to anything we needed. We had 80 min massage's that were the best we have ever had! John, (our therapist) was nothing short of amazing! I would highly recommend him and Spa Terre. The Spa was super clean and beautifully decorated. Wonderful relaxation room. It was truly a lovely experience!!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MTorello
mmalloy, Exec. Admin. Asst. at Hotel Viking, responded to this review, 1 November 2012
Thank you for your wonderful review of Spa Terre’. Our Spa staff strive to be the best in the business and each and every associate is well trained and do their best to meet the requests and needs of each and every spa guest. Again, we appreciate your comments!
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2012

The rooms, the serice, the location, the bar, the pool, I could go on and on........ Although a wedding was going on and the place was busy that did not interfere with the serice and attention we recieved. We would highly recoomend this hotel to family and friends and cant wait to come back again.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
We cannot wait for your return! Having your comments about guest service makes us all want to work that much harder to fulfill our goals. Thank you also for recommending the hotel to family and friends.
Bath, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2012

Hotel Viking is an old historic hotel and whilst it has undergone refurbishments you have to bear in mind that for example the rooms aren't going to get any bigger! I had to chuckle at a previous reviewer from New York who made this very complaint - has he never stayed in a hotel in NYC? That said there were many good things about our stay - the staff were very courteous (especially at breakfast) and the food was very good (again,especially the breakfast). The location was OK, but not perfect - still quite a hike to the Cliff Walk and even the harbour was not in the immediate vicinity. The parking at $30 a day is just poor - it is not even secure, just an open air facility across the road. I know the hotel will say it's the going rate - but does that make it OK? However, the positives easily outweighed the negatives and I would not hesitate in recommending the Hotel Viking whenever you visit Newport.

Room Tip: Ask for a bigger room as they vary in size depending on which floor you are on
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
We are all very proud to work at our historic hotel in Newport. It is a lovely place and we diligently work to maintain its grandeur. We are pleased your experience in One Bellevue was fine. Our location is a central location and we have access to the waterfront and shopping areas. We are a few minutes drive to the beach.
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2012

We recently stayed at the Hotel Viking for our anniversary getaway and loved it. We stayed on the fourth floor in the older part of the hotel and found it immaculate and nicely appointed. The front desk staff was courteous and helpful, and the breakfast that was included in our package was fabulous - we could order anything on the menu, or do the buffet. We also had dinner at the restaurant and were treated to our best meal in Newport. The workout facility was small, but had a universal weight station, along with a couple of eliptical machines, treadmills and bikes. The view wasn't great, but with the way the hotel faces, there aren't too many rooms with good views. Understand that unless you get a package deal, you will pay extra for parking and breakfast. It is a bit pricey, but for a quick weekend, worth the splurge.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
mmalloy, Exec. Admin. Asst. at Hotel Viking, responded to this review, 25 October 2012
We loved the title of your review and it immediately captured our attention. We could not be more pleased to know that your anniversary was a happy one and celebrated with us! We are most appreciative of your review and comments because we strive to provide the best in service that we can. Thank you.