“Great location, beautiful room”
Review of Hotel Viking

Hotel Viking
Ranked #5 of 21 Hotels in Newport
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 24 November 2012 via mobile

I'm not sure there is such thing as a bad location in Newport since the town is small and easy to access all the way around, but the Hotel Viking has a great spot just a few blocks from the main drag, Thanes Street. It's an easy 5-10 minute walk to the restaurants and shops there.

The old historic charm of th hotel is evident as soon as you drive up, and it continues throughout the property. The room I had was very large and had a very comfortable bed. Also features a nice desk, free wifi and an in-room Keurig coffee maker.

Didn't try the restaurant but it looked to have a good menu.

• Stayed: November 2012
mmalloy, Exec. Admin. Asst. at Hotel Viking, responded to this reviewResponded 4 December 2012

We totally agree with you about the location of the hotel in relationship to having access to all a visitor may want to do while in Newport. Newport is definitely a unique tourist attraction because there are year round activiites for people to enjoy and participate in. Thank you for your review of your accommodations here at the Hotel Viking.

There are newer reviews for Hotel Viking

Reviewed 13 November 2012

My wife and I, along with another couple, had a 2 day/night trip to Newport, RI. Hotel Viking was the perfect place to stay. It was centrally located, and easy to get anywhere that we needed to go. Newport, RI is an UNREAL place. Ocean Drive may have the most gorgeous homes in the entire USA. The mansions are breath-taking and literally up and down every street. The town has great restaurants, shops, and people. Hotel Viking is very charming and I wouldn't stay anywhere else for the money. If you want to stay somewhere in a more romantic location, I would choose The Chandler. This is about 2-3x more expensive, but really cool. I highly recommend touring The Breaker's Mansion, Eating at The Mororing for Dinner, Eating at Brick Alley Pub for Lunch, Doing the Cliff Walk, and Driving up Ocean Drive to see all of the amazing views and shore home mansions.

1  Thank smignogna
mmalloy, Exec. Admin. Asst. at Hotel Viking, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2012

Newport RI is a favorite tourist attraction and destination known for its historic homes, great sailing, and beautiful beaches.It is a great place to spend time vacationing with family and friends. We are just so pleased you enjoyed your 2 night trip and look forward to your return again.

Reviewed 11 November 2012

We booked two nights for our anniversary, and upon arrival we were given a free upgrade. We had read some reviews about tiny bathrooms, but weren't worried - that's what you can expect from a historic hotel. Imagine our surprise when we saw our room with its HUGE bathroom. (We did stay in the newer wing, which I think makes a difference. So if you aren't up for the "charm" of older hotels, you should request the newer wing when you make your reservation.)

Our room was quiet. We weren't near the bar or the street.

The service from valet, to the front desk, to the restaurant was superb. Our only complaint? Hurricane Sandy struck and we had to leave a day early. Not only did the lady at the front desk NOT give us a hassle about canceling the second night, she even offered to let us check out an hour later "if that would help you enjoy your abbreviated stay a little more."

That is excellent service and the sign of an establishment that deserves loyalty for knowing how to treat its guests. Complain all you want about small bathrooms or squeaky doors, many hotels would have charged us for the second night. We vow to come back to finish celebrating our anniversary, and when we do, we will DEFINITELY stay at the Hotel Viking again.

Hope you enjoy your stay as much as we did, but don't get run out of town by a hurricane!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Cindy D

Your most recent anniversary celebration will be a memorable one – coming to Newport right before the storm blew in on that Monday. From your short visit you were able to enjoy our accommodations and interact with our associates who are here to insure you had a great time. We are just pleased that we fulfilled our goals and you had a lovely experience. You hopefully will enjoy your next visit and that it is a little longer!

Reviewed 9 November 2012

Loved loved loved Hotel Viking! Our room was beautiful! And the sheets were changed daily which is awesome! The staff was friendly and the location perfect! My husband and I read a few dative reviews of the hotel and were worried what our experience would be like but we HIGHLY recommend this hotel! We stayed on the 4th floor, and our room was great!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
mmalloy, Exec. Admin. Asst. at Hotel Viking, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2012

It is always such a delight to receive compliments from our guests that tell us they had a positive and memorable experience while staying with us. Thank you for your review!

Reviewed 7 November 2012

I am a frequent Newport weekender, as we try and go once a month. I typically stay on the water but thought we would try the Viking out for a change. The reviews were mixed so we weren't sure what to expect. Upon arrival the staff was very friendly and on top of their game. We were placed in the wrong room( double beds instead of king) and after calling down they did manage to change our room. There were 2 weddings happening that night so it was a it chaotic. The room was a beautiful and spacious room on the 4th floor. My complaint about the room was that we had wood blinds( no long blackout curtains) and at 6am we were wide awake because the shades provided no shield from the sunrise. I went down the the desk the next night and asked if our room was missing curtains on the valence and the engineer was very nice and came to inspect the blinds. The told me that's how they are on the 4th floor but he would be happy to change my room. Which they did to a room across the hall. But it was the exact same room with the exact same blinds. So I went back to the desk and told them never mind I would just stay where we were. Nate at the desk was wonderfully and wanted me to be happy. So he moved me to the 3rd floor and told me to see if that would work. Upon walking in the door I was floored. He moved us to a 2 story, 2 bathroom suite. My fiancé and I were so happy. What we didn't realize in our pure excitement of the suite was that there was a skylight directly above our bed WITH NO SHADE! So 2 mornings in a row we woke up at 6:15am! I don't even wake up at that time at home! I called down to the desk to see if there was a switch somewhere that would generate a shade and they said no. Very poor design if they ask me. Now we didn't pay for the suite so I can't complain about it. But one thing I will say if your thinking about booking a suite is the bathroom was to up to par. Everything was beautiful exact for the master bath upstairs. It was a regular old shower that we had in or first room or that u would have in any hotel. For a suite I would have expected the marble to continue in the bathroom to a walk in, rain head shower. Or an oversized tub. But the marble floors stopped at the tub and then the normal tan subway tiled bath continued. We loved the hotel and would have stayed there again but when on vacation I would like t sleep in or take an afternoon nap but that hotel doesn't seem to be able to provide that. The parking at $30 is steap. I see from comments they made they say that they are in line with other hotels but they simply are not. I have stayed at many hotels right on the water and they are not $30 even in peak season. We did not try the restaurant on premise as we heard from other guests it was very overpriced. Beds were decent, not as soft as i wold prefer but the linens were nice. We considered ordering room service but that was a bit high too. Pool, sauna, hot tub and gym were all very nice and clean. Overall we loved the hotel and the customer service we received. But I am upset we never got to sleep past 6:15 during our 2 night stay at hotel Viking and I would be weary to try it again.

Room Tip: Rooms in the thousands are the renovated rooms.
1  Thank Brittney B
mmalloy, Exec. Admin. Asst. at Hotel Viking, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2012

It is always discouraging to all of us at the Hotel Viking when we receive reviews that are not indicative of what we are really all about. Your review provided insight as to where we were not able to offer what you needed to have a relaxing and enjoyable weekend. We do appreciate your comments about the hotel and our guest service.

Reviewed 6 November 2012

This hotel is in a great location and could potentially be a lot of fun - but the rooms are tiny, dark and insanely noisy! Good thing I wasn't planning on resting and rejuvenating during my stay - if that's what you want, this is not the place. I could actually hear the next door guest getting sick in his bathroom after what I gathered was a big night for him. The windows, doors and walls are not insulated at all so there was not any quiet at all. If you don't plan to spend any time in the rooms, this place is great - walking distance to all the best places.

Room Tip: If you stay here, make sure to ask for a room not on the Bellevue Avenue side.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple

We apologize that you did not have a very good experience.

Reviewed 6 November 2012 via mobile

Our first visit to Newport on our New England holiday. A stunning looking building built with red brick. Modern comfortable bedrooms with all the usual facilities.

Only 5 minutes walk from the harbour area. Plenty of restaurants but might be better to make a reservation as we were caught out by how busy it was on a Thursday night!

The hotel bar was cosy with friendly staff.

A great place to stay on holiday or on business.

• Stayed: October 2012

We are so glad you were to visit us at the Hotel Viking during your visit to Newport on your New England holiday.