“A Romantic Winter Escape”
Review of Hotel Viking

Hotel Viking
Ranked #5 of 21 Hotels in Newport
GreenLeadersBronze level
Worcester, Massachusetts
“A Romantic Winter Escape”
Reviewed 7 March 2013

The Hotel Viking is a special couples retreat with friendly, professional staff to take care of your every whim. The Master Suite rooms [sitting and bedroom!] were both romantic and comfortable, filled with antiques. Since the weather was windy and cold, we decided to eat in the hotel dining room. It turned out to be a great decision and not because of the weather. The food was amazing -- generous helpings, cooked to perfection and served by friendly, helpful, accommodating staff [special orders really don't phase them at all]! Don't miss the hotel pool and hot tub. . . . . . .What a wonderful way to celebrate our love and push aside the cold of winter by visiting Newport, Rhode Island and the Hotel Viking -- Thank you staff of Hotel Viking!

Room Tip: Corner rooms have views of ocean from two sides. King suites offer amazing comfort and roomy space.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Eva M, Exec. Admin. Assistant at Hotel Viking, responded to this review, 19 March 2013
Thank you for your comments! Our restaurant is truly fantastic, and offers some of the best cuisine in Newport. Our Spa Terre located within the hotel is a great place to unwind and relax from the stresses we all face. Winter is an absolutely perfect time to stay with us at the Hotel Viking! We look forward to serve you again in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (479)
Long Island
Reviewed 6 March 2013

Just returned from our first ever visit to Newport and we are ready to go back. My husband and were there for wedding anniverary celebaration

We are discerning New Yorker's and were so thrilled with our stay at the Viking!

Upon check in we met Nate who we felt sincerely cared about us having a great trip, helpful and fun too.

The breakfast in the restaurant blew us away - Lobster Omlette etc - we were in heaven
Dan Vanwaus in the restuarant was so pleasant and great to talk with

Our room wonderful, faciliites great - I highly reccommend all

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank gwangi62
Congratulations on your anniversary. We are so happy that you decided to celebrate your wedding anniversary at The Hotel Viking. Hotel Viking is the first hotel built in Newport. You will certainly encounter here a nice romantic setting with lots of history. Our front desk staff are exceptional. We are so proud to have them. One Bellevue (restaurant) offers fantastic breakfast options. Our Newport Omellete with lobster is a big hit, and it is devine. We look forward to serve you when you return for your next visit!
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 4 March 2013

I spent the weekend here and ate 3 meals at the hotel:
Breakfast the day one the catering manager for our event suggested that the eggs were gluten free (probably), the sausage would be gluten free (maybe...) and that I could also eat the oatmeal they were serving (NOT.) Finally she sent my upstairs to the omelet bar where the chef, who was nice, coudn't understand why I was concerned about if the meat was GF, "Of course it is he told me."

For our formal sit down dinner (catered in their ballroom), which they were told ahead of time there were multiple celiac's attending, I altered my server that I was one of them and would need special food. He served me regular NY Cheesecake for dinner and told me it was GF. Uh, NOT. Another celiac was also told them same thing, and the it was a cookie crust on the cheesecake. The server told me the chef said if was GF too. ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?!

Finally, last day breakfast, I order the celiac/GF special which came with normal toast. I could have shot someone; I was so livid. The Hotel Viking is CLUELESS about how to handle food allergies and I suffer the consequences of their idiocy. And the hotel told me they were prepared, as I called FAR in advance, TWICE to discuss my food needs. STAY AWAY.

Or just eat at the barking crab, WOW, they will take care of us will real intense allergies!
The hotel was ok beyond the tragic food situation. The indoor pool was nice even though the hot tub was out of commission for the weekend. Other than the food related disaster, the staff were kind and polite, especially the doormen.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sjhath520
Thank you for your comments. Our apologies that things were not as you expected. We would like this opportunity to apologize for the issues you experienced during your recent stay. We constantly strive for the highest standard but in this case we have fallen short. However, we appreciate your feedback, as your comments are necessary to help improve our service. We are always looking for ways to improve our guest services that positively affect each guest. I assure you that this is not the standard service you should expect to receive while staying with us. We always appreciate constructive criticism to correct necessary areas needing improvement.
Newport, Rhode Island
Reviewed 28 February 2013

We started our weekend with spa services. It was most relaxing and the staff was so great. The pool was outside the spa so my daughter swam with her aunt and cousin while I enjoyed so alone time at the spa. We had a great room. It was a suite. It was perfect for us to share. It had a refrigerator which was perfect for storing water bottles for the gym, leftovers and my niece's food (she is 14months). Also, we could have had wine in the room if we wanted. It had 11/2 baths. The king bed in the room was amazing it had steps to get up on it because it was so high. Very comfortable. The staff was always smiling and very willing to help. I loved the food. I was so surprised how good the food was at One Bellvue. I live in Newport and will definitely eat there again soon.

Room Tip: We had a suite perfect for 3 adults and 2 kids. We had a kind bed pullout and my daughter slept on a...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank karoline c
Eva M, Exec. Admin. Assistant at Hotel Viking, responded to this review, 14 March 2013
We are a very family friendly hotel. Our spa even provides treatments for the little ones. The restaurant, One Bellevue welcomes children of all ages. The pool is always a big hit with children. We do have guest rooms and suites that are a perfect match for families. We can provide comfortable rollaways with cribs upon request. One Bellevue (our restaurant) is definitely a unique experience. The presentation of the food, the fresh local produce and fantastic cocktails are some of the best in town. Thank you for your comments, and we hope you will return again.
East Longmeadow, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed 27 February 2013

Very nice place to stay. We would not normally stay at a hotel in this price range; however, they ran a great 72 hour special that we took advantage of. Staff was more than helpful & friendly. Rooms were very well appointed. One complaint is that there was no mini fridge in the rooms. I would have thought that being a high end hotel, there would have been a fridge that we could have put our dinner leftovers in. Lounge was very nice with great a great Jazz Band playing the evening that we were there. Too bad that there is a huge column in the middle of the loung which blocks your view of the band from almost every seat. I think that if they positioned the band in a different spot, it would be more visable to most patrons. Overall, a wonderfull place to stay & within walking distance of most downtown attractions. Would stay again for the right price.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Eva M, Exec. Admin. Assistant at Hotel Viking, responded to this review, 5 March 2013
When we run price specials, they are always a great deal. Our hotel is a historic one, and some of our rooms do not have a mini fridge but we will be more than happy to provide you with one upon request. We apologize for the inconvenience. Please visit us again.
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 27 February 2013

We went to the Hotel Viking to do the tastings for our daughter's upcoming wedding. Because we were traveling from Richmond, VA we had to stay the night so we decided to stay there. First of all, the price for this hotel during this time was equal or less than much lower quality establishments. The service we got from the wedding coordinator (Marianne) and the gentleman (Daniel) serving us in the dining room couldn't have been better. The food was absolutely amazing! If our wedding guests get the same food we tried, they will be talking about this wedding for years to come. We are so excited!! We also had drinks in the bar that night and stayed in a beautiful room. What a reasful sleep and breakfast the next morning. I cannot say enough about the Hotel Viking. I am just so pleased we decided to have our daughter's wedding here.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
A wedding at the Hotel Viking is always a special one. Our kitchen staff and chef do an amazing job indefinitely. Thank you so much for choosing our hotel. We wish you a most memorable wedding.
Killingly, Connecticut
Reviewed 26 February 2013

The rooms were nice and the beds were so comfortable. It was off season so we had the place to ourselves so it seemed. The lobby was historic and beautiful and there is a nice restaurant there. The indoor pool and hot tub were a hit with the kids. I hope to return in the near future!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
The Hotel Viking is the first hotel in Newport. Our location and facility are in the heart of Newport. We look forward to see you in the future.