“Erik is great!”

9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Erik is great!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2012

My husband and sons 17yrs and 12yrs took a surfing lesson from Erik while we were in Honolulu in June. Erik spent the time with all of them explaining to them about the techniques of surfing in a way our kids could understand. Erik was laid back with us telling us stories of his life (it was like being with an old friend). He was very encouraging to all of them telling them what a great job they did. The pictures Ray took were great. We paid for the "private" lesson for all three of them which was even better for them to learn. I loved watching all of them have the time of their lives on the waves. My 12yr old now wants more lessons because of Erik.
Erick is great! Thanks for a great memory!

Visited June 2012

Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Great surfing results!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2012 via mobile

I have had 3 lessons with Erik. He had me surfing every time! He is knowledgeable, patient & very flaky! Unfortunately, you have to put up with the incessant rambling in order to get to the great surfing instruction. You just have to interrupt his talking & ask him what you need to do/know,etc. My last lesson included my grown stepdaughter & her friend & I was afraid they felt that maybe their surfing experience could have been better, but on their last day in Waikiki they witnessed a different surfing lesson in progress where the instructor was rude, impatient and unhelpful. They expressed to me that they were so happy to have had the type of lesson they did & had the time of their life surfing with Erik!!! 2 important tips: just interrupt his constant talking to get what you need (he doesn't seem to mind or notice) & it seems to me that he will keep you out surfing until it's time for his next lesson or he will suggest it's time to quit as soon as you appear tired!!

1 Thank laurenat40
Vancouver
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Go somewhere else!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2012

Eric is too out there for me. He gets distracted way too easily and has weird analogies that don't really make sense. He was not ready when we came to his shop, made us wait 20 mins then. Then went through the "lesson" on a mat in his mat... but its weird b/c he gave different lessons/or how-tos to my bf and I. He also assumed my bf was the more experienced athlete instead of asking. My bf had no idea what to do at the very end of it. I've taken surfing lessons in Tofino so I tried to explain to him what I remembered most. Eric also did not teach us about surf etiquette which is extremely important when out in the water. After our "lesson" Eric made us wait another 20-25 mins outside his shop as he got ready... but really he was chatting to his photographer the entire time. He then proceeded to close the sliding door to ensure that we wouldn't listen. Hmm... ...

Once in the water, it was a bit better but really, he didn't give us any tips or anything. What he really did was .... count the seconds... then say "go go go get on your board." His photographer actually pointed out what not to do and what to do... he was more helpful in improving our experience. We only spent 45 mins in the water when I specifically asked if it was 2 hours with the lesson. Overall, not a good experience for us... unfortunately and not sure how he got good reviews in the first place. We just felt a bit scammed as he charged us a different rate than what was initially agreed upon.

Check out a different surf school if you can. It'll be worth the time and money for sure.

Visited February 2012
2 Thank krossingboundaries
Honolulu, Hawaii
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“Erik and Malu: Thank you!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2012

Thank you for a wonderful experience and thank you for teaching me...really teaching me. I can't believe that I caught every wave on my own.

If you want to take a lesson while in Waikiki, Erik needs to be your guy. He's laid back, funny, and a brilliant surfer who WILL teach you how to stand up and ride the waves, just like The Duke did.

Visited January 2012
1 Thank evbk
hr4hakbl
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Awesome instructor, great time, works with kids!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2012

Erik was fantastic! From booking the lesson to the entire experience, things couldn't have gone better. Erik rode tandem with my 4 yr old son while also instructing me. All I wanted was for my son to not hate surfing, but he LOVED it!. Erik was masterful, careful, and just a radical dude to hang with. His instructions also got me up riding solo. To top it all off, his rates are the best around.

Visited February 2011