Our family of 4 (children 12 and 9) stayed at The Kahala Hotel and Resort during Thanksgiving week for 7 nights and had a wonderful time. Just about everything exceeded our expectations. Our room was a spacious mountain-view room, with tub, shower, and “his and hers” sinks and closets…and immaculate! Some of the niceties on our arrival included cookies with ‘Aloha’ written on the top one, a stuffed dolphin on the bed for my daughter, and a cd of Hawaiian music playing as we walked in to our room.
What really made this hotel exceptional, though, was the staff. Everyone we encountered was friendly, knowledgeable and polite. The concierges, maids, and all of the staff made us feel welcome and made our stay as enjoyable as possible. Our maid and some of the restaurant staff called us by name. When one of the waitresses heard that we were disappointed that there was no more acai sorbet at the breakfast buffet, she brought us 4 fresh ones just a few minutes later. The concierge was so nice to take many pictures of our family in front of their beautiful Christmas decorations. The pool service catered to our special request of a real coconut with straw and spoons. I could go on.
The pool was great for both children. My daughter, who is 4 feet tall and gets cold easily, loved that she could stand in parts of it and it was heated. The dolphins, turtle and sting rays were all fun to watch in between swims. While the pool is a little small, we were always able to get two lounge chairs together.
The Plumeria breakfast buffet was exceptional, with the usual buffet breakfast choices as well as Japanese fare, cold coconut tapioca soup, acai sorbet, made to order omelets, fresh papaya, coconut syrup for waffles, among others. There is inside and outside seating, and the sunrises there are just beautiful.
Although the hotel is in a secluded area where one needs a car or taxi, it was not too far from shopping or some Oahu attractions. In addition to it being close to Waikiki, The Kahala Mall is approximately 2 miles away. It has a Whole Foods grocery store and a pharmacy, so we could easily buy some snacks and drinks to fill our non-stocked refrigerator. We also found some less expensive restaurants there. Diamond Head is just a couple of miles down Kahala Avenue, and Hanauma Bay is about 15 minutes away. We rented snorkeling equipment from the hotel to use at Hanauma Bay, and it was good quality.
I took a sunset paddleboard yoga class through their fitness center that was just amazing. It was just me and the instructor, Daniel. Having never been on a paddleboard, I was a little nervous about falling off, but never did. The yoga instruction was perfect for an evening workout, and the sunset was beautiful.
We enjoyed the beach, too. We rented a paddleboard a couple of times; no lesson was necessary. We enjoyed the calmness of the bay and swimming out to their anchored dock.
Our family would definitely recommend this hotel to others, and we hope to come back one day. It is truly a gem.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Kahala Hotel & Resort is Hawaii's reigning luxury resort, set on a secluded beach just ten minutes from the world class shopping and entertainment of Waikiki. This legendary hideaway resort in Honolulu's plush Kahala district is a favorite with presidents, international royalty and celebrities. From the moment you arrive, you will know that you are truly somewhere special. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Ebookers, Hotels.com, Expedia, Southall Travel, Odigeo, Agoda, Travelbag, TravelUp, Hotelopia, HotelsClick, Traveltool, S.L.U., Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Kahala Hotel & Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Kahala Hotel And Resort
- The Kahala Hotel Honolulu
- Kahala Resort Honolulu
- Kahala Hotel Honolulu
- Mandarin Oriental Oahu
- Kahala Hotel & Resort
- Kahala Mandarin Oriental
- The Kahala Hotel & Resort Hawaii/Honolulu