We just returned from our first family vacation with our little one and we are extremely grateful that we chose the Kahala resort over other highly rated resorts in Waikiki. There are just too many positive things too say about the resort and the experience. The room, grounds, service, amenities, food and staff were great. We chose to keep our island activities to about 1/2 the day, then the rest of the day we would relax by the pool and the beach. A wise choice since there is we ultimately wanted to relax on our vacation and the Kahala helped us achieve this. The Kahala is about a 20 minute drive to Waikiki but perfectly secluded from the tourist madness as other reviewers have noted. We rented a car and the valet/self parking was not an issue.
The room we booked was the partial ocean view lanai on a higher floor with a main view of the golf course but the balcony goes out far enough where you can see the ocean to the east (good enough for us).
As for specific tips and comments, we did notice the pool was mostly families and children. Not an issue for us since we were one of them, but I wondered how couples on a romantic getaway or singles felt about this. Perhaps an adults only area would address this? We tried to book the shuttle to Waikiki because our daughter wanted to ride on a "bus" but it was often full. Because we had a rental car this wasn't an issue so if you are on the fence about getting a rental car I would get one. Having a car was also helpful when needing to run to the nearby Whole Foods and the mall for basic supplies etc...
When it came time to check out we did not want to leave and mentioned to each other we will most likely try and make this an annual trip. Amazing time!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Kahala Hotel & Resort is Hawaii's reigning luxury resort, set on a secluded beach just ten minutes from the world class shopping and entertainment of Waikiki. This legendary hideaway resort in Honolulu's plush Kahala district is a favorite with presidents, international royalty and celebrities. From the moment you arrive, you will know that you are truly somewhere special. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Expedia, Southall Travel, Agoda, Odigeo, TravelUp, Travelbag, Hotelopia, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., HotelsClick, Cancelon, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Kahala Hotel & Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Kahala Hotel And Resort
- The Kahala Hotel Honolulu
- Kahala Resort Honolulu
- Kahala Hotel Honolulu
- Mandarin Oriental Oahu
- Kahala Hotel & Resort
- Kahala Mandarin Oriental
- The Kahala Hotel & Resort Hawaii/Honolulu