“The real deal on the Executive Center”

Aston at the Executive Centre Hotel
Ranked #64 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Atlanta
“The real deal on the Executive Center”
Reviewed 26 January 2009

The story begins when I was doing my research because I was going to have to spend 3 months in Honolulu, and was looking into long term stay options as I didn’t want to do the usual hotel thing. I had looked into Oakwood and all of their properties, but was turned off by their requirement that I sign a 30 day lease. When I balked, they told me that the only extended-stay place I would find that would be like an apartment, but rent for less than 30 days would be a condo-tel. I started my search for what a condo-tel was, and found the Executive Center.

I then came to this site to get the real deal on this hotel . I was alarmed by the extreme polarization in the reviews. I didn't know if to believe the good reviews, wondering if they were planted by hotel staff, or the bad reviews which might be people who had an agenda. Whatever your reason for coming here to research this hotel, you're looking to have your expectation set.

First thing you should understand (and this should help put some of the other reviews in perspective) is that the building is a mixed use building. This means that there are offices, apartments, and hotel rooms all in the same building. Also known by industry folks as a "condo-tel" Some people buy a unit, and use it for their office. Some people buy condos and live in them, and some bought condos that they turned over to the hotel (Resort Quest) to manage. Remember - each room (unit) is owned by an individual owner, whereas all rooms in a regular hotel are owned by the same owner! This explains why some rooms are good, some are great and others are spectacular. It's up to each owner to decide how much to invest in their unit. RQ sets the standards, and if the owner doesn't comply, their unit gets dropped from the roster, but it's still up to the owner.

That said - I've had 3 stays over 3 months. Some highlights, and lowlights:

- The hotel is downtown, and downtown dries up after 6pm. All of the folks downtown seem to be pretty much in government, banking, or students are one of the numerous schools downtown, so they disappear early.

- There is a Longs Drugstore next door to the hotel entrance. Huge selection that almost doubles it as a mini grocery store. It does close early (6pm) as another person stated.

- Subway, McDonalds directly across the street, and Jack In The Box 1 block away. All close fairly early though (I think 6ish also)

- Safeway grocery store, and 24 hour Longs Drugs are 4 blocks away. Easy walk.

- Aloha Tower and Marketplace are also 4 blocks away. There, you'll find a Gordon Biersch Brewery, a Hooters, and a few other restaurants. Decent eats, I was there alot!

- The Bus (the local transit system) stops at the entrance to the hotel. Just about every route that goes anywhere you'll think to go stops there, and can get you just about anywhere you're headed in 20'ish minutes. I did get bad instructions from folks at the front desk on 2 occasions about which bus to take, though. Easy enough to double check with the bus driver when in doubt.

- Continental breakfast on the 40th floor is nice. Someone else said that they run out of food and don't replenesh. I didn't experience that in my 3 months there. I went late every morning to avoid the crowd, and there was always still food left. Juice and coffee are plentiful. Good views, and computer with internet access is up there also.

- Each time I went home (for between 4 and 11 days) I was able to leave my luggage with them so that I wouldn't have to pay bag fees to the airlines to take my bags home. It was nice to be able to travel light for my trips home.

- Parking - yes, it is in the parking garage next door to the hotel. There is no valet, but you do get in and out privs. Parking is assigned, so to avoid having to go back to move your car after checking in, call the hotel on your way from the airport, and have them give you your space number.

Bellman - Nope - no bellman. Remember - this is an office building with some "managed" condos! If you park your car, and go check in, they have a luggage cart so you can haul your stuff in - quite easy! Or, if you call the desk on your arrival, they'll come out and help you, but no one is stationed outside full time.

Apartment. All of the furniture in the units I was in were current, up to date. Decent beds. Clean! Kitchens and baths are like others said - some are dated. Tile countertops instead of granite. Dated cabinets. Tile and tub colors are dated. Desk was nice. High speed internet was speedy. Washer and dryer in the unit also nice. Has a full size fridge, stove, and microwave. Someone said that the microwave was on a cart. Remember what I said about individual owners! To each owner, his own! My unit did not have a cart. And come one - really - you're not buying the unit, you're just there to have somewhere to put your stuff and sleep!

Bugs - someone mentioned that there are supersized roaches
in Hawaii. They weren't lying! I saw a 6" centipede at one of my customer's offices! Literally! Good part - no bugs IN the hotel - not in 3 months I was there!

Restaurant - yes, there is one in the hotel. The usual sports-bar type food and drinks. Pretty good, actually! Burgers are awesome.

Chinatown - 4 block walk. And definately an experience.

Waikiki - it's not. If you want the hustle and bustle of Waikiki, you should stay down there. I was here to work, and I don't like crowds. Perfect for me! None of the Waikiki traffic, endless thumping music from cars, nightclubs and bars, and still nice views of the water and mountains. You can get there on the bus in 20 mins though! Don't drive down there if you can help it. If you want the action of Waikiki, stay here, go to the action, then
come back here for some peace!

Airport - close. And way closer than Waikiki - cheaper cab
ride if you don’t rent a car.

Management - cares. The GM of the hotel addresses each and
every post on here. Since he posted his name and email address, I took the time to call him and ask him about all of the negative feedback on here before my first stay, and he took the time to set my expectation as I'm doing here for you. Once my expectation was set, everything was smooth sailing. How many hotel GM's do that!?!?!?! I asked him to back up his claims, and
he emailed me pictures of the room I was booked in, and
guaranteed in writing that if the room was unacceptable when i checked in, that I could cancel my reservation and check back out and get a full refund. I'll bet he'll do it for you too.

Sketchy - I saw someone said that about the neighborhood.
I'm from Atlanta. All downtowns get "sketchy" after the
people leave. If you mean that it gets very quiet, and there's noone around, then you're right. But I never felt unsafe, and I walked to Safeway every night to pick up frozen dinners.

Room jacuzzi - dated color, but the hotel's jacuzzi on the 11th floor is much bigger, more powerful, and gives views of the open sky.

All in all, an excellent experience. I’ll be staying there again on my next project with the same customer next month.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled on business
11 Thank Binlurkin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
  • Korean first
Left Coast
Reviewed 17 January 2009

When I have to be in downtown Honolulu, I stay at the Executive Center.

The good points: Location, location, location. This is the only choice for downtown. You are walking distance to the Aloha Tower Marketplace, and essentially in Chinatown. There are lots of restaurants nearby, though it can be a challenge to find the good ones as there are also a lot of cheap (though also often good) small eateries. The heart of Chinatown has several markets with a great selection of fruit. But no beach. None. Nada. Zip.

If I only need to work in Honolulu for one day, or maybe two, I will stay in Waikiki and take a taxi in to town. But if I need to be there for extended business, I will stay at the Executive Center.

The rooms are generally apartels, with kitchenettes. Some have a full kitchen and a washer and dryer. If you will be there for an extended stay and your unit does not have a washer and dryer, you can ask to be moved. While the hotel has differing levels of room, I have found that it does not matter what you select, you can end up in any one of a wide variety of rooms, though I always spring for the ocean view.

As far as a gym, on the same block is a 24 hour fitness. The hotel sells daily passes, but I usually just sign up for a week or month with the club.

For local dining, it is about a 4 block walk, but make sure you go to Duc’s Bistro. Other great places include Indigo, Restaurant Epic, and Little Village.

• Stayed December 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank inog
ExecutiveCentre, General Manager at Aston at the Executive Centre Hotel, responded to this review, 19 January 2009
“Good for business and so much more”

Aloha "inog",

Mahalo for your post, regarding the ResortQuest Executive Centre Hotel. By your description of the hotel, you have stayed with us a number of times in the past and we are very appreciative of your patronage.

The ResortQuest at the Executive Centre is a “Condo-hotel”. Within the building, there are hotel units, full time residents, some offices on the lower floors with retail space (Long’s Drug, Ross Dress for Less, Verizon, UPS Store, etc.) on street level above the hotel lobby.

As you state, our downtown location is our main strength for business travelers but our location offers much more for non-business leisure travelers. As you mention, the Executive Centre is surrounded by a plethora of excellent Mom & Pop to fine dining restaurants to choose from. A short walk away, the Aloha Tower Marketplace has a wonderful selection of shopping and great restaurants such as Gordon Biersch and Don Ho’s. The Executive Centre is also located very close to Historic Chinatown, where a multitude of neat shops, open markets and authentic Asian restaurants are within an eight block radius. Fort Street Mall, located next to the hotel and Macy’s, offers an open market twice weekly. Also mentioned was the fully equipped 24 Hour Fitness Gym located on our block, for those staying fit. If you are a contractor working at any of the military bases or at Pearl Harbor, the central location of the hotel reduces your daily commute time by up to an hour, avoiding the majority of traffic headed to Waikiki and central Honolulu. For passengers meeting the Norwegian Cruise ship, the hotel is a few short blocks from the departure pier.

For anyone seeking to avoid the hustle and bustle of Waikiki, this location has a “homey feel” (enjoyed by our many loyal outer island/mainland repeat guests) rather than the tension that comes with a noisy, crowded, traffic filled Waikiki. And if you want to visit a nice swimming beach, it is a short three minute drive from the hotel.

As you stated, the Executive Centre is “good for business” but we feel the location is “good for so much more”…

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on the ResortQuest Executive Centre.

If anyone has any questions or concerns about our hotel, please feel free to contact me directly at clem.lagundimao@resortquesthawaii.com.
St. Petersburg, Florida
Reviewed 18 December 2008

I've stayed here a couple times in 2008. I live on Kauai but travel to Oahu on business from time to time. The first time I had a high room... just below the top floor. The most recent time I stayed on floor 29.

First off, the location will appeal to business travelers only, since it is in downtown Honolulu. Tourists should not stay here. There are few tourist attractions in the area, and there are so many other better places for a tourist to stay on the island.

This hotel is wedged somewhere between "past its prime" and "not very nice." It has probably been like this for years though. The building is nice enough... a modern looking high rise with a nice clean lobby.

The rooms have seen better days. The two rooms I stayed in were laid out the same, but the furnishings were completely different. In both cases, everything was dated by at least a couple decades. The tile, cabinets, tub, everything. Also, you'll notice evidence of reconfigurations... by this I mean air vents that have been relocated, drywall patched, fixtures have been added, removed, etc. Ordinarily after a hard day at work I'd love to relax in a jacuzzi tub, but something about an old tub from the 70's doesn't really appeal to me. There is a kitchenette, and in my most recent case, the microwave was oddly on a microwave cart in the living area, well outside the kitchenette space.

To sum it up, the rooms are out of date, but they are at least clean which is really the most important part to me. And while out of date, nothing is totally trashed. For example, the bedding clearly isn't from the 70's. The one odd thing from my last trip was that all my towels smelled funny. They were clean (I think), but the detergent must have been some odd industrial grade bleach or something.

Travelers should be aware that most of the businesses near by close early. For example, the Longs drug store downstairs closes at an unbelievable 6PM. Aloha Tower Marketplace has plenty of dining and shopping though, and it is a reasonable walk of a few blocks.

A lot of people stay in Waikiki for business. Depending on where you are working, Waikiki is often less convenient. But, it is a tradeoff, because at executive center you'll feel like you are staying at any old hotel on the mainland... not much of an Aloha theme.

• Liked — convenient for business travelers
  • Disliked — rooms are out of date
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank Brian Y
ExecutiveCentre, General Manager at Aston at the Executive Centre Hotel, responded to this review, 22 December 2008
Aloha irun5k,

Thank you for posting feedback on Tripadvisor.com.

As noted in my earlier posts, The Executive Centre primarily caters to business travelers but we are a viable alternative for those who do not want to be lost in the traffic, crowds and the hustle and bustle of Waikiki. The hotel has a number of repeat “leisure” guests from both the mainland and the outer islands, that love the location. The hotel may not sport a typical Waikiki, “Aloha” theme in decor but we deliver friendly, helpful service with heartfelt Aloha, which is truly what the Aloha spirit is.

I am glad you found the room cleanliness to your standards as we work very hard and take pride in insuring proper cleanliness of all our guest rooms. The carpets, furniture, beds, TV’s and drapery were replaced as part of our master renovation plan in the past year and a half but due to the economic downturn, we were forced to put the last renovation items temporarily on hold in a few of the rooms (such as the room you stayed in). We expect to finish the last remaining rooms in 2009.

To sum it up, the Executive Centre’s location is excellent for business travelers that want to be located in downtown Honolulu. The hotel is also an excellent alternative for travelers that do not want to hassle with the traffic and crowds in Waikiki and the hotel is within walking distance to shopping and dining. The rooms have been recently renovated and are in good “clean” condition. And finally, though the hotel is not Aloha themed, each and every employee, cares for each and every guest with “sincere heartfelt Aloha”!

Oakland,CA
Reviewed 28 October 2008

Staying at this hotel after staying on the Big Island will give you some serious culture shock. The Executive Centre Hotel is all business and no aloha.

The rooms are fine- the same as any other business hotel, though ours had a spectacular view of the harbour.

No windows open, which I HATE, but the canned air didn't smell bad or anything. There is a full sized fridge and a small cook space and a real kitchen sink. It had a tiny washer and dryer, with "international symbol" instructions that I needed help interpreting. I called the front desk for help, who directed me to the housekeeping department (why?). The housekeeping guy spoke such poor English that he had to send someone up to demonstrate. (My question, for the record, was "does the soap go in the right, left, or center compartment?") There is chain-store shopping right at the bottom of the building, including Longs and Ross Dress for Less (which has a huge selection of Hawaiian shirts and dresses for $10-$20, instead of $30+ you'll pay at the tourist shops.)

The neighborhood has zero personality and they're working hard to keep it that way. The staff is brusque and business-like. (Someone told me that they were trying to undo the surfeit of personality it had had 10 years before when it was a red light district.) The people who came to clean the room were very nice, though didn't speak English well.

What convinced me to never stay there again was the young security guard who told me and an old woman that we couldn't sit on the granite front ledge while we waited for our taxis. "Don't you see the sign? You can't sit here." (Sure enough, there was a discreet sign fastened to the side of the building where we were sitting.) After staying a week on the Big Island it was truly shocking to see a young Hawaiian treat an older woman so disrespectfully.

I am young and healthy, and standing for 20 minutes wasn't a terrible hardship, but what was the old woman supposed to do? There were no benches. There was no place else to sit.

It was clear that the poor guy was was only enforcing hotel policy; the hotel should be ashamed of itself for having such a policy in the first place. Nevermind the inconvenience to me, one of its guests; by chasing off old ladies they are showing Hawaii to be ungracious and lacking in basic courtesy.

For the record, this is the only occasion on my entire 10 day stay in Hawaii that I experienced anything like this.

• Liked — Functional kitchen, awesome view
  • Disliked — Un-Hawaiian hotel culture.
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with friends
1 Thank November000
ExecutiveCentre, General Manager at Aston at the Executive Centre Hotel, responded to this review, 31 October 2008
Aloha November000,

Thank you for posting feedback on Tripadvisor.com. I am sorry that you had the one bad experience, in what was a positive overall experience at the ResortQuest at the Executive Centre.

The incident that you describe, does not involve a “hotel” employee or a hotel policy. Security staff are employees of the building management company and public area policy is determined by the building’s Board of Directors. As Security’s actions and public area policies directly reflect on the hotel, rest assured that we will contact the building manager’s office to report the incident and request that they take the necessary corrective action so a similar incident does “not” occur.

Based on your feedback, it appears you were happy with your overall stay and the convenient shopping near by. The room was satisfactory and the hotel employees were helpful and friendly. The Housekeeping employee you mentioned (knowing that his accent makes understanding sometimes difficult), in the true spirit of Aloha, took it upon himself to personally insure that someone came to your room, to show you how the washer/dryer operated.

As with all big cities, Downtown Honolulu is a bustling metropolis…but the Aloha spirit exists here within its people. All of the hotel staff and management offer our Aloha willingly and freely to all our guests. It is our heartfelt desire to insure that you are comfortable and you are happy with the services and accommodations we provide to you. It personally saddens us when one person’s actions, affects your overall positive experience. We hope that it does not deter you from enjoying the true hospitality and Aloha Spirit of the ResortQuest Executive Centre in the future. If you would like to personally contact me, please do so at clem.lagundimao@resortquesthawaii.com.

If anyone has any questions or concerns about our hotel, please feel free to contact me. Mahalo.
Portsmouth
Reviewed 23 September 2008

We stayed just one night in this hotel prior to our Hawain Cruise in May of this year. The room we were allocated was spacious, well equipped and clean. We only spoke to staff on check in and out but both times found them to be very polite and helpful.

The Aloha Tower is an easy walk from the hotel, so plenty to choose from to eat and drink, even on the weekends. We even walked to the cruise ship from the hotel (I do have a wheelie suit case).

All in all great for our needs, not luxury but we weren't paying for luxury!

Oh and finally, we loved the breakfast, plenty of tea, coffee, juice, toast, bagels and huge pastries and cakes, and you can just help yourself and take it back to your room if you like!

• Liked — Proximity to the cruise terminal
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
Bismarck, ND
Reviewed 22 September 2008

We stayed at this hotel for 17 nights and found the hotel fit all our needs. We had two rooms, one on the 30th and 35th floor. The room on the 30th floor was recently updated, with new kitchen appliances, very comfortable king size bed and lots of room. Even though the “trim-out” was not a high budget remodel, this property was clean and inviting, with a stain on the carpet here and there. This is not “your” home and one must expect a stain or two with the amount of guests staying over the course of a year. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Clem, the General Manager even took the time to visit with me about my stay and wanted to ensure that no problems were encountered.

If you are looking for a hotel that has great staff that is friendly and accommodating, location in downtown Honolulu, nice comfortable rooms at a great price, this hotel is for you. If you are looking for a luxury hotel with very plush fixtures, on the beach and a personal staff to wait on you hand and foot at a cheap price, this is not the place for you.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone. Thanks for a great stay!

• Stayed September 2008, travelled on business
Dallas
Reviewed 6 August 2008

I had several days of word in downtown Honolulu and the company that brought me out put me up in this hotel. It is conviently located, but desperately needs renovation. The taxi dropped me off and the cab driver told me to go down the escalator to check in. THERE IS NO ONE OUT FRONT TO HELP YOU WITH YOUR BAGS.

The bathroom was clean, but the cabinet, flooring and wallpaper are the absolutely cheeapest you could buy anywhere, and are old. The toilet seat was one of those horribly cheap, thin plastic ones. There was NO exhaust fan in it so the steam from my shower went everywhere. Despite having pushed my thermostat all the way down and the a/c fan on HIGH it was never below 77 in my room. The mattress was very soft and gave me back trouble. Its been YEARS since I stayed in a hotel without a good mattress and didn't think they existed anymore.

The continental "breakfast" is a joke - they put out a bag of whole wheat bread next to a toaster, a bag of bagels, a few muffins and something that looked like pound cake. VEry little fruit - just a few bananas and cheapo red delicious apples. There were machines with what appeared to be orange juice and some other thing but upon tasting it was clear these "juices" ("juice drinks?") were from metal cans. Skip it and go half a block down Bishop St. to Starbucks where you can buy a cup of chopped fresh fruit and excellent juices.

There is a Long's drugstore next door and it opens at 6:30 A.M. so you don't need to drag shampoo, conditioner, etc with you when you fly out to Honoloulu, just get it when you arrive.

The staff at the front desk did their best for me, but this hotel is just a dump that desperately needs new mattresses, all new bathrooms, new room a/c systems and a lot of other things.

GOOD RESTAURANTS NEARBY: salad creations - $6.99 for a big bowl of salad with all the ingredients you want (you pick the type of greens and what you want added), Indigo for a pricey but excellent dinner, a french place across the street from indigo, a cheaper cuban place near the french place.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — room furnishings
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank LouiesMom
ExecutiveCentre, General Manager at Aston at the Executive Centre Hotel, responded to this review, 11 August 2008
Aloha LouiesMom from Dallas,

I am sorry that you did not have a positive experience at our hotel. We do our best to ensure that our guests are satisfied and that we meet their expectations.

Contrary to your opinion, the Executive Centre is not a “dump”. If you are looking for a luxury hotel experience, then our hotel may not be for you. But if you are looking for clean accommodations at a reasonable price in a prime downtown location, the Executive Centre is a perfect match. Our room rates are fairly priced for the amenities and services we provide.

We wished that you contacted the hotel management about your dissatisfaction during your stay, we would have done all that we could to assist in improving your experience.