“Great hotel for cruise passengers”

Aston at the Executive Centre Hotel
Ranked #65 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
A TripAdvisor Member
“Great hotel for cruise passengers”
Reviewed 7 January 2006

I used my Entertainment card to save 50% off the rack room rate of $200, making my cost $100 per night. Expedia and the others were offering it for $166, so from the start I was happy with this hotel. Then when we checked in, I became ecstatic! It's 2 blocks from the cruise ship we were taking the next day (so no need to pay for a taxi), the room was a huge suite with 2 tvs, dining/living area, and kitchenette, with a beautiful view of the mountains on one side and the ocean on the other side, there was a good cont. b'fast served until 9 or 10am, it's on the bus line taking us directly to Waikiki (about 20 min. ride) in one direction and Pearl Harbor (about 45 in. ride) in the other, and next door to some great shopping and restaurants. And the staff was FABULOUS! They allowed us to check in at 12 on the day our cruise ended, and out at 3pm the day we were to fly out at 5:30pm. We definitely weren't expecting that type of service without paying extra. WE WILL DEFINITELY STAY HERE WHEN WE COME BACK TO HONOLULU!

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
  • Korean first
Idaho
Reviewed 5 January 2006

We stayed here for one night on a stopover to Kauai. This hotel is located in downtown, not far away from the Aloha Tower. It was a quiet location and perfect for our 1-night stay. We went in to Waikiki, but appreciated the quiet location downtown. We had a beautiful view of the harbor. Our room was very large and well-equipped. It had an entry foyer, a kitchen, living room, separate bedroom and full bath with jacuzzi tub. The juices available for purchase in the full refridgerator were only $1.50 per can! After a long flight, our party of 3 arrived at the hotel to find that the roll-away bed that we requested was not available. We were not advised that the roll-away bed was a request only and that one was not guaranteed to be available. (One may ask, why would the hotel think the customer would ask for a roll-away bed, if they don't really need one?) The hotel initially attempted to accommodate us by offering a room with double beds. This would not work for us, because 2 people in our party were over 6 feet tall. Darrin at the front desk was sympathetic to our dilemna and booked us an additional room on the same floor at no additional charge!!! Now that's customer service! NOTICE: The bedding options for the rooms are: 1 king or queen or 2 doubles. There are no sleeper sofas. If you REALLY need a roll-away bed (you have a third person or 2 of your party won't fit well in a double bed because they are over 6 feet tall), one may not be available. You should either book 2 rooms (expensive) or book someplace else. The continental breakfast is ok if you just need a quick bite to eat. There is also a McDonald's on the corner. I tried the he Hawaiian breakfast at McDonald's for fun (2 huge scoops of rice, Spam, porteguese sausage, and one other item that I can't remember.) Large!!! I would stay again. I'd love to explore Chinatown nearby and the downtown historical sites.

• Stayed November 2005
5 Thank gail_wilson
alexandria, va
Reviewed 31 December 2005

I must admit that I did not want to stay here. When my supervisor told me I was going to Hawaii, I had planned/wanted to stay in Waikiki. Yet to stay within budget, my plans got redirected to the Aston Hotel Downtown Honolulu. After my stay however, I will always have a place in my heart for the Aston Hotel in Honolulu. I was sent to Hawaii for a 2 month long business trip and had the pleasure of staying at this hotel. This hotel is wonderful for those working in the downtown area. It is not in Waikiki (about a 10 min. bus ride) so if you are looking for a place with all the Waikiki happenings you should stay there. During the first two weeks of my stay I was in a suite with a beautiful mountain view. The smoke from a neighboring apartment became too much for me and I lucked out and was placed in an ocean view room. Both rooms were suites with a washer/dryer, kitchen, separate living room and a nice sized bedroom. I had modern furnishings in both suites with flat screen televisions in the living room and bedroom and dark brown wood furniture throughout the apartment. There are floor to ceiling windows which are great for seeing the mountains or the ocean on either side. It was beautiful going to bed and falling asleep with a view of the ocean or coming back to my room and watching the sunsets. It was fantastic!

As far as the surrounding area, I found Chinatown to be interesting and a great place to buy a random selection of things. Aloha Tower is within walking distance and has several nice restaurants as well as a food court. There is a plaza by the hotel that has shops and restaurants and further down is a Safeway if you feel like cooking in the kitchen. The Bus stops right outside the hotel where you will be able to ride to Waikiki or Ala Moana Beach/Shopping Center. Other bus lines are within walking distance for making trips to Aloha Stadium and Pearl Harbor. There are also museums and other historical points of interest within walking distance as well. I made out well without a car but you must be a little adventurous. If you are a traveler who is unaccustomed to walking much or driving/riding the bus this place isn't for you and Waikiki may be a better bet. Personally, I enjoyed the location removed from the craziness of Waikiki and actually liked this hotel.

• Stayed February 2005, travelled on business
5 Thank chariega
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed 13 August 2005

This hotel occupies the upper floors of a downtown high rise. The accommodations weren't what I expect from an "all-suite" hotel -- no "living room" or seating area outside the bedroom to watch TV. Rooms are spacious but minimally furnished; standard room has a large kitchen dining area with only a small dining table. The bedroom, separated from the dining area by a doorless wall, has a bed, the TV and chair. The kitchen has a fridge and trash compactor; microwave available on request for a fee, and even the in-room coffee has a fee.

The public area was beneath street-level, windowless and rather dreary. The check-in desk occupies a corner of the office building lobby, which was usually deserted during the weekend I stayed there. Use of the fitness center, accessible from the office building floors, required a special key from the front desk, although the info on it in the guest guide fails to mention this. The swimming pool is also accessible via the office building. Wouldn't be comfortable using them on the weekend, at least, since the office building floors were deserted.

Maybe if you're conducting business downtown during the week, this would be an OK choice. But ANY dining on the weekends -- and these options are limited -- requires a walk of several blocks or a drive to pay parking. The hotel restaurant is only open for breakfast and lunch on weekdays, although the hotel lounge offers a free continental breakfast -- fruit, juice, bread and pastry, coffee - that sufficed.

This place is a considerable distance from Waikiki, where the beaches, shopping, hotels, restaurants, etc. of Honolulu are located. It took me about an hour to drive through the traffic to get to Waikiki early Saturday night. There's no concierge service to speak of; in response to an inquiry at the check-in desk, I was simply handed one of the standard local guide magazines.

Finally, and this is what led me to check out early and move to a hotel in Waikiki, I was not happy with security. My first night I was awakened in the middle of the night by a knock at the door, purported to be the delivery of pizza, that I hadn't ordered. The hotel elevator required a swipe of the keycard to access my floor, so the next morning I inquired at the check-in desk about how someone had gained access. I was told that they just card delivery people up since "they can't know who ordered something". Maybe call the room?

Bottom line - the out of the way location, modest accommodations, and unease about security caused me to check out early in favor of more appealing accommodations for my business trip.

• Stayed August 2005, travelled on business
10 Thank EatLikeABird
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 7 August 2005

We enjoyed our stay of 11 nights in April, 2005 on the way to San Francisco. After the initial dilemna of how to get our luggage to the lower level where the reception was located, we were warmly welcomed and shown to our room on Level 28. From this room, we had wonderful views of Honolulu Harbour and surrounding streets which, at night, were stunning. The suite was very comfortable and spacious and the kitchenette allowed us the flexibility of doing some "home cooking" and stocking up on supplies from Longs Drugs and Safeway Supermarket, both handy to the hotel. Chinatown was just down the road and Waikiki was a short trip away on "The Bus" which we used with a pass available from ABC Stores conveniently located on almost every corner in Waikiki. This bus service, right at the hotel, was convenient to trip around the island, to the North Shore and to Pearl Harbour. From Day 1, when our clothes dryer didn't work, the manager had it replaced with a new one - that's service! A quiet place to stay when you don't want to be amongst the noise of Waikiki!!

Stayed April 2005
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Chesapeake, Virginia
Reviewed 24 July 2005

I stayed at the Aston at the Executive Centre on business during the third week of July for the first time. The Aston is located in downtown Honolulu on Bishop Street, a few blocks from the Aloha Tower. I usually stay in the Waikki area when traveling to Hawai'i on business, but most of these hotels were booked due to a large convention in Honolulu during my stay.

On the plus side, the room was clean and spacious and included a refrigerator, microwave oven, and dinnerware. The Honolulu paper was delivered each day. The Aston assigned me a parking space in the adjoining parking garage, eliminating any problem finding an available space in a busy garage. The staff were very friendly, professional and helpful during my stay.

On the minus side, there was no restaurant in the hotel. A continental breakfast was served in a common room on the 40th floor, and it consisted of coffee, juice, breads and rolls. In-room Internet access was available via DSL modem for $10-11 additional per day. Wireless Internet access was also available in the common room on the 40th floor, and this room was locked after hours. You can get a room key (good for one day) at the front desk, and another guest explained the process to me.

In short, a decent place to stay, but it lacks the amenities that a first-rate lodging for business travelers should provide. These same amenities are readily provided at many hotels in the Waikki area, and this area has much more to offer to the visitor.

• Stayed July 2005, travelled on business
9 Thank Hiistory-Buff
Bristol, England
Reviewed 30 March 2005

We stayed at this hotel on 6 February for 3 nights, but have only just returned from a round the world trip. We really loved the Aston - it was not the cheapest hotel we stayed in but that probably reflects US prices. The rooms were huge, the A/c was quiet and the bed was very comfortable. The bathroom and kitchen area, though clean, looked a bit tired and due for refurbishment. The staff were great and the continental breakfast was okay, the view was great and the breakfast room had free wireless internet access so we could check our email on our laptap - always a bonus. This should be available free in all hotels as it is cheap to provide and very popular with guests. We didn't find the area shady at all, and it is only 10 minutes walk from the Aloha centre where there are several nice restaurants and cafes. There is also a supermarket underneath the hotel.

We were there for Mardi Gras and watched the parades in Chinatown and the Aloha centre - great fun. We also went on a whale watching trip in the Navatek which leaves from a pier near the Aloha centre (I suggest booking). We only saw a couple of flukes and a 'blow' but the superb buffet lunch made up for it. Another Trip Advisor recommended Lanikae - thanks thawstx from Dallas - it is one of the most gorgeous beaches we have visited and definitely worth tracking down.

• Stayed January 2005