“Best hotel in Waikiki”

Ranked #18 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Sydney
“Best hotel in Waikiki”
Reviewed 23 May 2011

A return trip to the Royal and it was another reminder of what a great hotel this place is. It's got the best location on Waikiki and (if you're staying in the old wing) a wonderful ambience. The restoration the Royal underwent a year or two ago has done amazing things for the old building. And having the shopping centre in between it and Kalakaua Ave does wonders to bring down the noise level. Add the gardens into the mix and the Pink Palace is a tranquil oasis in the heart of Waikiki.

Service around the pool was a bit hit and miss. Rod (I think?) is wonderful, but there's a big gap between him and everyone else unfortunately. The room staff do a great job - always great to get a turndown service. It's a little thing I know, but I do appreciate it...

And this is not specific to the Royal Hawaiian, but it is great news about the beach restoration project due later in the year. Waikiki is getting very small!

2 Thank sydneytraveller69
RHCoordinator, Sales/On-line Marketing Coordinator at The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort, responded to this review, 29 May 2011
Sydneytraveller69, thank you for loyalty to The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort and for taking the time to write about your most recent trip. We are thrilled to hear how much you love our location, our restoration and our tranquil oasis that is nonetheless in the heart of Waikiki. We are also thankful for your mention of Ray, and his wonderful pool service and we are greatful for your feedback on the rest of our staff as well.
Mahalo also for noting that our beach will soon be expanded, thanks to the city and the owner's of our resort, Kyo-ya Company, Ltd, who are investing a great deal into the restoration project. We hope you will visit us again next year to enjoy the widened beach. Until then, Aloha from The Royal Hawaiian Team.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (902)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 21 May 2011

I spent 5 days at this hotel with my family (1 grandparent and 12 year old) and had an amazing time...just a few things to watch out for.

Pros: The service is impeccable and the grounds are BEAUTIFUL. Location is very central (about a block away from the main "shopping/restaurant zone" which is great to walk the length of both day and night. Very safe location (we stayed out just walking and sightseeing in the shopping area until 2am on most nights). The beach area around the hotel is semi-exclusive - anyone can walk on the beach but hotel guests have a roped off area with chairs and bar service. For those with younger children or non-swimmers, the water is extremely shallow in this part of Waikiki beach - you can walk out about 15 feet and still have the water up to your knees! The farther out you walk in the hotel zone is the deeper/rougher the water gets. Great picture opps, especially of the Diamond Head volcano.

Cons: The walls are as thin as paper. Luckily our neighbors were pretty quiet but you learn very early on that you can hear EVERYTHING. The room decor was surprisingly basic but the beds were comfortable - rooms on some sides of the hotel are extremely dark so I would specifically request a sunny room upon arrival. Your $$ definitely goes into the hotel amenities not the actual room experience/luxury. Food in the restaurants onsite is ridiculously expensive. Opt for breakfast/lunch at Denny's about a 8-10 minute walk from the hotel (comparable mainland prices) and dinner on the strip. There are also cheaper places to snack in the shopping zone- so no real need to eat at the hotel unless you want to. If you do, they make a blueberry banana smoothie that's to die for!

Overall, you do get what you pay for - service, beautiful location and luxury! We spent another (cheaper) 3 days on the other end of the beach at the Marriott Waikiki Beach hotel - which has a great kid-friendly pool area; perfect for pics of the sunset. If you're looking to save a few bucks but still have a great Waikiki experience, I'd split my trip between the two hotels (just walk back up to the Royal for the better experience as the beach/water isn't as nice on the Marriott end of Waikiki).

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
4 Thank MsSmall
RHCoordinator, Sales/On-line Marketing Coordinator at The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort, responded to this review, 24 May 2011
Aloha MsSmall and thank you for taking the time to share your experiences in Waikiki. We really appreciate your very kind comments about our beautiful grounds, central and safe location, private beach area and delicious smoothies, and are so pleased you had a lovely time with us. While we are sorry to hear that you felt our eclectic decor was a little too simplistic, we are happy to hear that our comfortable beds made up for that and that you found the overall experience to be one of luxury. We thank you also for sharing all those wonderful photographs. Mahalo nui loa, The Royal Hawaiian Team.
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 20 May 2011

We have just spent six wonderful nights at this grand old lady who since her renovation a couple of years ago is better than ever.

We once again had a room in the Historic Wing of the hotel and though it wasn't as modern as the Tower Rooms it was still very comfortable. The beds are to "die for" and I had the best 6 nights sleep of our 6 week trip. This was the final stop before flying home.

We ate out at the fun Mai Tai Bar quite a few nights and always enjoyed the food. We also had a memorable meal at the Azure Restaurant where we celebrated our wedding anniversary. The service and food were top class as would be expected at a 5 star hotel. We were given a cabana which was a lovely surprise and we could not think of anything better than having a fantastic meal right on the beach, watching the lights come on in all the high rises. Life surely cannot get better than that!

We adore the gardens surrounding the beautiful hotel and it is always a pleasure to return after a day of sightseeing or shopping to the peace and calm of this hotel.

There is no where else we would ever stay when visiting Waikiki and we cannot wait to return in 2012,

3 Thank Aussiegal15
RHCoordinator, Sales/On-line Marketing Coordinator at The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort, responded to this review, 23 May 2011
Aussiegal15, mahalo for sharing the last week of your vacation with us at The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort. We are just thrilled that you had such a wonderful rest in our comfortable beds and so enjoyed our restaurants and 5 star service.
We are very proud of our garden oasis which our grounds team does such a wonderful job of manicuring, and we thank you for commenting on the tranquil atmosphere that surrounds our resort. We are so pleased that you are looking forward to your next visit already and we look equally forward to welcoming you back to paradise. Until then, aloha from The Royal Hawaiian Team.
Columbia, Maryland
Reviewed 16 May 2011

This hotel is amazing! We traveled from Maryland to Hawaii this past April. Our experience at the hotel was absolutely amazing. Upon check-in the staff was so pleasant and offered us a pink drink. After traveling almost 11 hours this was so refreshing to receive upon our arrival. All of the employees that we encountered were terrific. Being that I'm a hotel person I have a high level of service expectation. This hotel met the expectation. The bell staff, front desk, breakfast servers all deserve special recognition. However, the prize for the best service would go to our wonderful housekeeper. She was absolutely the best that I have encountered in 15 years of being in the hotel industry. She greeted us every day and made sure that we had everything that we needed. She is what Starwood is all about. I can't remember her name...but I made sure to mention her at check-in. I hope that she received the special recognition she deserves! This resort is great and located in a wonderful area! I highly recommend this to everyone!

Room Tip: Travel in off-peak times (perhaps April)
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
RHCoordinator, Sales/On-line Marketing Coordinator at The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort, responded to this review, 20 May 2011
Bebe41081, Mahalo nui loa for sharing your wonderful feedback about your recent stay with us.
We are just thrilled to hear your lovely words about our check-in staff, our welcome drink, our bell service and our fantastic housekeeping. We have shared your compliments with our staff and you have brought smiles to many faces - thank you so much - we are truly grateful.
We are also pleased you enjoyed our location and we thank you sincerely for your recommendation of our resort. Until next time, warm Aloha from The Royal Hawaiian Team.
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 16 May 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Royal Hawaiian Hotel May 6-10 2011 for our 17th wedding anniversary. The weather was cloudy and rainy with sun. The hotel is gorgeous. Upon arrival we were given a smoothie and lei greeting with many valets available and offering us help. We had a lovely spacious garden view room with a very comfortable King size bed, mini fridge, table and 2 chairs and a desk, and a free banana bread. My husband and I slept like babies which is saying a lot because I never sleep well when traveling. The beds are amazing.

The pool is small for a hotel this size so if you are wanting a larger pool this might not be the place. Also the gym at this hotel is small as well and not as nice as the new gym at it's sister hotel the Moana Surfrider.

But the Royal Hawaiian practically owns most of the beachfront with the amount of seating they have on the beach. Granted it was cloudy and the weather was not too good but we always managed to find a chair on the beach the entire week we were there. People do tend to Hog the chairs early so it does pay to go out early. I have read people complaining about lack of chairs. I don't really think the hotel is to blame. They have stacks of chairs and have people out there all day adding more and putting up umbrellas. The problem comes from enforcing the 90 minute rule of being away from your chair. My husband and I spent many mornings and afternoons on the beach chairs and watched the laziness of so many patrons. We would sit for 2 hours and see chairs with 2-4 towels (some not even used) strewn over them and people having to put out new chairs or sit in the back row because the front row chairs had towels on them from people who just walked away after they were done and left their 4 towels behind or people who just leave a towel to save the chair and go walk off and who knows if they ever come back. The staff do come and take the towels off eventually to free the chair but really wouldn't it be easier if people cleaned up after them selves and were respectful of other people sharing the use of the chairs?! Just because I am on vacation does not mean I expect other people to do everything for me. If I pick up my towel from the hut I can walk my used towel back to the hut.

This hotel has the MOST chairs on the beach out of any hotel and that alone will probably make us want to come back. We stayed a few days at the Moana Surfrider and they have a charge for chairs on the beach which we did not use there.

The Valet service was fast and friendly. The umbrella and towel service was quick and efficient. Service at the Mai Tai bar and restaurant was quick and polite. All the staff we encountered were very kind and friendly.

The location of the hotel is very good. It is close to the International Marketplace, shopping, and many good restaurants. The street life is bustling outside and is great.

I would probably rate the food 4/5 and the value 4/5 but everything else was amazing. We will definitely return. I miss it already.

3 Thank Nikemom
Nikemom, mahalo for sharing your Anniversary with us and for taking the time to write about your experience. We are thrilled that you found our resort to be so gorgeous and are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your spacious Garden room in the Historic section of our resort, with its well-appointed furnishings. We are especially happy to hear how well you slept in our plush beds. We are also glad that you so enjoyed our oceanfront lounge chairs and we thank you for noticing that we do have plenty available for our guests.
We are also extremely grateful for your kind words about our efficient and friendly staff and are delighted that you can't wait to return. We look forward to seeing you soon, until then, Aloha from The Royal Hawaiian Team.
Catasauqua, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 16 May 2011

I always wanted to stay at the Royal Hawaiian because it is one the most beautiful hotels on the island. Last year I finally stayed there. I got an ocean front room in the tower.The room was a bit smaller than I expected, but the view and cleanliness made up for it.The enitre staff was very friendly. The restaurants on the property are very high priced , so I ate at other hotels.The beds were the most comfortable beds I had ever slept in.The location on the beach is one the best.The pool is quite small, but I swam in the ocean every day. I would definitely recommend this hotel to others, if they can afford it.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends
Mahalo lfinches1 for taking the time to write about your experience at The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort. We are very pleased that you joined us and we are so happy to hear that you found our rooms so clean, our beds so comfortable and our view and location so perfect. Most of all, we are truly grateful for your very kind words about our friendly staff and we really appreciate your recommendation. Until next time, Aloha from The Royal Hawaiian Team.
Squamish, Canada
Reviewed 16 May 2011

Stayed at the Royal Hawaiian for three nights in May, to celebrate my 50th birthday. They put me on the 12th floor, which offered an excellent view.
Nice to have real coffee cups for coffee out in the lanai, in the morning.
Large towels in bathroom. Turndown service offered, but I did not need it. Resort fee included two bottled waters a day, as well as long distance calls; both services were nice to have.
I had to leave for the airport at four in the morning and cab service from hotel was immediate.
Expensive hotel but good for special occasions.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank MelloNello60
Aloha MelloNello60, and a very Happy Birthday to you. We are so very glad that you chose to celebrate with us, and we are delighted that you had such a great time. Mahalo for your kind mentions about our large towels, the resort fee value, our real coffee cups and the beautiful ocean views from our private Tower balconies. Thank you also for sharing that great photograph with us. We look forward to sharing your next big Birthday bash with you. Mahalo nui loa, The Royal Hawaiian Team.