“Basically very good, but...”

The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort
Ranked #18 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed 15 March 2012

Having stayed several times at the Royal now it's always a pleasure to return. Had a nice quiet Garden Suite which was spacious and peaceful.

This trip however it was disappointing to experience some less than stellar service issues. The safe in the room was broken and it took two requests to the concierge to get it fixed. Three requests to replace a blown lightbulb in one of the lamps were also all ignored. They're small things, but if you're going to hold yourself up as a premium resort, these are the things that shouldn't happen.

My biggest gripe though was the noise from the construction going on next door at the Outrigger. It made sitting at the Royal's pool (normally a great peaceful experience, particularly if Rob is providing his usual top-notch pool service) impossible due to the jackhammers going all day a few feet away. Now the construction itself is not the problem of the Royal Hawaiian, but some advice when booking would have been appropriate. Again, not a big deal in the whole scheme of things, but a resort of this standard should be held to a higher account than the competition. Disappointing.

Room Tip: Garden wing rooms are the quietest.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
RHCoordinator, Sales/On-line Marketing Coordinator at The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 16 March 2012

Thank you for joining us for another vacation in paradise - we are very grateful for your loyalty and your wonderful feedback. We are so pleased that you find our accommodation to be so spacious and tranquil, and thank you for your recommendation of our Garden rooms.
We are sorry to hear however that you encountered service issues and we sincerely apologize that your requests were not dealt with immediately. This is being addressed with concierge as it is, as you say, certainly not our usual standard.
We are also sorry that your time at our gorgeous guest beach was disturbed by the noise from the next door construction and we understand that this must have been very frustrating. We are working with the neighboring resort to ensure we have all the details of the potential noise times and doing our very best to accommodate the situation. Please let us know if there is anything more we can do to assist you further.
We look forward to your next stay with us being truly relaxing.
With kind regards and aloha, The Royal Hawaiian Team.

There are newer reviews for The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort

Reviewed 14 March 2012

I had always wanted to stay here and finally I did for 3 nights. Check-in was efficient but little information was given about the hotel except a card advising you that there was an additional US$26 resort fee! This apparently covers coffee available - somewhere - totally invisible, and your internet. Expecting to join it in my room there was no connection. A visit back to the desk told me how to connect using your room number as a password. They could quite easily have advised me of this and explained where coffee was available during the day for guests when I checked in.

I stayed in a Garden Grove room which was somewhat tatty, though the hotel had been refurbished in 2008. The floor was not very clean nor the table tops! Clearly the room cleaners give them a 'quick flick'.

I had only one meal there, breakfast which was very very ordinary and expensive. So called 'freshly squeezed guava juice' - obviously out of a tin and very thin and unappealing - so called sour dough toast! The waiter was not very efficient, forgetting the preserves. Also I ordered an espresso cappucino - this was definitely filtered coffee with a feeble effort at froth on the top and was luke warm to boot! All very disappointing. I was charged over $26 for this. Given the standard of the food and drink I did not bother being ripped off again in any of their other restaurants.

Around the Surf Lanai, the outside restaurant, the drapes and other fixtures were grubby and tatty and other parts of the hotel look like they need a jolly good clean. Apart from a very helpful room cleaner and my check in I had no other encounters with staff.

Quite frankly, for $350 a night this hotel was most certainly not up to expectations. I would rate it more 3.5 stars than 5 and would certainly not call it 'luxury' in terms of food and accommodation.

The gardens are lovely, and of course the setting right on Waikiki Beach is magnificent.

Room Tip: My garden grove room was on the 4th floor and I did get quite a bit of noise from functions down bel...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank Janekini
RHCoordinator, Sales/On-line Marketing Coordinator at The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 15 March 2012

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. We are so pleased that you found our beachfront location to be superb and our garden oasis to be so lovely, but we are very sorry to hear that overall our resort did not live up to your expectations. We want you to know that we take guest feedback very seriously and have addressed all your points with management. It is our goal to deliver exceptional, indigenous experiences to every single guest in true 5 star style and we will be taking steps to ensure front desk provides more thorough explanations and that housekeeping and Surf Lanai ensure every detail is attended too. We are pleased to hear that you did find your housekeeper to be so genuinely friendly.
Thank you again for bringing your concerns to our attention. We hope for the opportunity to provide you with our characteristic Royal treatment in the future. Aloha and mahalo, The Royal Hawaiian Team.

Reviewed 14 March 2012

My husband and I booked in 2 night as our last stop of our 3 week holiday in Hawaii. Our stay here was enjoyable. The checkin process was quick and efficient and the staff were all friendly. I really enjoyed that this was a beach front property with chairs on the sand for hotel guests to use. This part of wakiki beach has no rocks so swimming in the beach was great. The bar faces the beach and is very pleasant for a drink or two while people watching and a bite to eat. The hotel grounds set it back from the main strip which allows for a pleasant walk before being in the middle of all the tourists and traffic.

3  Thank S0ph13

Mahalo for your wonderful words about our Pink Palace. We are so pleased that your stay was so enjoyable and that you loved our arrival experience, beachfront location, Mai Tai Bar and manicured grounds. We hope you will visit us again for a longer stay next time. With many thanks and aloha, The Royal Hawaiian Team.

Reviewed 14 March 2012

I spent my last two nights in Hawaii staying at The Royal Hawaiian Resort with my boyfriend. It is overwhelmingly beautiful & luxurious, the building, the interior decor, the restaurants, the garden and the rooms - every last detail has been taken care of to ensure it's perfect, even walking through the grounds, along the arched corridors of the main building at dawn turns into a romantic experience.

We stayed in a tower ocean-front, king room (just like the one in the pictures) and we didn't want to leave. The room was extemely spacious, the bed was massive (& very comfortable) and again every detail had been taken care of - down to the complimentary banana cake, chocolates and selection of tea available to the fluffy dressing gowns in the bathroom.

On our last night - we decided to stay in and ordered from the room service menu. (We ordered the lobster; the lamb and for dessert a trio of mini-lemon tarts). I never really have high expectations when ordering room service but I was hoping the standard would be much higher here... and we were not disappointed, in fact we were blown away when it was delivered, not just because of the generous portions and the delicious presentation, but the flavours and the aromas that accompanied our meal were mouth-watering. We were truly spoilt with a private gourmet culinary experience in our own room.

We would particularly like to say a big Thank-You to Cecilia and Rory who assisted us in our stay (arranging our second night booking at short-notice and helping us with an early breakfast request) - they were extremely professional, accomodating and efficient in assisting with our requests.

I'm finding it hard to pick a fault - our stay was a superlative experience and we can't wait to return.

Room Tip: We were a little confused with where to park when we arrived and ended up parking the wrong place, f...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple

We couldn't be happier to hear that you feel our resort is overwhelmingly beautiful and luxurious and we are simply thrilled that you and your boyfriend had such a lovely stay. Thank you so much for taking the time to share such great feedback - we sincerely appreciate it and your kind words have made our day.
We take great pride in ensuring that every little detail is cared for and we are so delighted that you noticed. We are also so happy to hear that you tried our Azure In Room Dining Menu and found it to be so fantastic. This is a new addition to our resort offerings and we are so grateful for your compliments.
We would also like to thank you for mentioning Cecilia and Rory's exceptional service - they are truly fantastic Royal Ambassadors and we have shared your wonderful words with them and their managers - thank you so much.
We look equally forward to your return; with best regards and aloha, The Royal Hawaiian Team.

Reviewed 13 March 2012

I liked the historical features of the hotel, the staff are friendly and helpful. We stayed in the older part of the hotel. The rooms are fairly clean and large. Beds are good. Breakfast was terrible. Food came out cold when it should have been hot and vise versa. The room we booked was not the room they put us in. It took 2 days to get this straightened out so once you book you better call right away and let them know what you expect. To sum up - I liked the hotel but was disenchanted with the room issue. I think their rooms are over priced by at least $150/night compared to similars in the area. If we stay in Waikiki again, it won't be at this hotel. (Note once they did move us to another room, it was a fantastic room with probably the best view of Waikiki possible)

1  Thank LondonRebel
RHCoordinator, Sales/On-line Marketing Coordinator at The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2012

Thank you for sharing our love of history and for your kind mention of our very friendly and helpful staff, and comfortable bedding. We also appreciate your feedback on our breakfasts, which are certainly not meant to come out cold, and we do apologize profusely for your most uncharacteristic experience - we are working with our Chef to ensure the processes are improved so that even an isolated instance does not occur in the future.
We are also sorry to hear that you felt the guestroom you booked was not what you were provided with upon check-in. Due to the historic nature of our resort, every guestroom in the historic section is actually completely unique in terms of interior arrangement and size. While this makes for a truly historic and iconic experience, it does mean that the floor plan examples we provide are of one particular room in that category, and rather an example of what the rooms in the category are similar too. We do apologize for the confusion this caused, and are so glad to hear that you so enjoyed your room move and the stunning ocean front views.
We sincerely hope that you will consider staying with us again in the future. With best regards and aloha, The Royal Hawaiian Team.

Reviewed 12 March 2012

The hotel is beautiful don't get me wrong, it is upscale and on the beach front with a wonderful atmosphere. The staff are very friendly and inviting but we were disappointed in our choice of room. For the $$$ we spent it was small we had the spa suite which was in a fantastic location if you want to be right in front of the pool. It had a great little balcony to sit out on, I think we had number 6 which was the end one, which I did like as there was greenery surrounding it which meant you did have privacy from people sunbathing in the pool. But the room itself was small and pokey to get your bags upstairs the stairwell was very narrow and the paintwork was all chipped not what you expect when you are paying top dollars. Be prepared to pay top dollars for anything we got one morning a pot of coffee a juice and a round of toast with a bottle of water and were charged in excess of $70.00 which we thought was ludicrous, from then on we went to the hotel next door and got a beautiful hot buffet breakfast for less with all the trimmings, the food was delicious and choices galore. I don't mind paying for something but I don't like to be totally ripped off either. We had also booked a cabana by the pool but when we arrived and saw what they were we cancelled them they were all empty but we still got charged for the day. In saying this it is close to everything and I loved that about the place, but would I stay ther again I would have to think about it maybe another room choice because when spending top dollars I do expect a top dollar room with no paint peeling etc. Hawaii reminded me a lot of our Gold Coast Australia except I hate to say it our beaches are pretty spectacular in comparison. But loved learning to surf and the canoes etc. I would go back to Hawaii though because the the people are so friendly and inviting and I love beaches and water and I would love to go to the outer islands.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Mad101
RHCoordinator, Sales/On-line Marketing Coordinator at The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2012

Mahalo for sharing how much you enjoyed our charming resort atmosphere, welcoming staff and fun beach activities. We are so pleased that you share our love of Hawaiian hospitality and that you look forward to returning to our beautiful islands.
We thank you also for sharing your feedback about the suite in which you stayed and the food charges you incurred. We are delighted that you found the location and privacy of the suite to be so lovely, but so sorry to hear that you encountered chipped paint. That is most certainly not our standard and we will be sending engineering to fix this issue immediately.
We have also passed along your food and beverage and cabana charge concerns to our management team, as we certainly don't wish for our guests to feel ripped off.
Should you wish to discuss anything further with us, we would be happy to hear your feedback and encourage you to reach out to one of our Guest Service Managers at 808.923.7311.
We look forward to your return to the island and hope to welcome you to one of our other suite categories. Best Regards, The Royal Hawaiian Team.

Reviewed 11 March 2012

We stayed here one night as a stopover before heading to Kauai. We had been to Oahu before and have always wanted to stay at the Royal Hawaiian after walking around the beautiful hotel grounds on previous vacations. The hotel is wonderfully secluded from the rush of Waikiki because it is set back from the main boulevard, but is still centrally located. We booked a standard garden view room in the historic wing of the hotel and were upgraded to an ocean view historic room at check in. Everything about our stay at the Royal Hawaiian was wonderful: the fresh flower leis, the pink drinks at the sit down check in, the amazing room and wonderful service. We had food and drinks at the Surf Lanai where we had the best mai tai and lava flow of our trip. We only wish we could have stayed longer and would not stay anywhere else in Waikiki again.

Room Tip: Get a room in the historic wing of the hotel if you can
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
RHCoordinator, Sales/On-line Marketing Coordinator at The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2012

Thank you for coming back to O'ahu to stay with us; we are so pleased that you so enjoyed the seclusion of our resort and our central location and even happier to hear that you loved our historic guestrooms, arrival experience, handcrafted cocktails and aloha-spirited service.
We wish you could have stayed longer too and we look forward to your next visit. With kind regards and aloha, The Royal Hawaiian Team.