“Above and beyond my expectations.....”

The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort
Ranked #21 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed 21 November 2013

Just returned from 9 days at the magnificent Royal Hawaiian! Walking on the property was like stepping back in time. Everything at this hotel is perfection....from the breathtaking architecture of the historical building to the warm friendly atmosphere created by the staff. My husband and I stayed in both the tower and historical buildings and loved them both for different reasons. I have read several reviews with some negative comments on the pool...my question is why would you be concerned about the size of the pool when you have an amazing beach as your backdrop on Waikiki Beach. Location couldn't be better....Royal Hawaiian shopping center is next door with everything you might need. I took surfing lessons from the "Beach Boys" and it was worth every penny I paid. My instructor was courteous and patient, and I felt safe under his tutorial. Booking activities through the hotel concierge was hassle free and a quick and timely process. The activities offered were well worth the money spent and operated by reputable companies. I highly suggest the Ko'Olina snorkel/sail.....amazing day! Overall our only problem was that we couldn't stay longer! Thank you for an amazing vacation!

Room Tip: cool architecture-Historic building contemporary with amazing view-tower
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
RHCoordinator, Online Marketing Coordinator at The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2013

Dear Stephanie H,
We're absolutely delighted to learn that you had an exceptional vacation with us here at the The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort. It's always wonderful to hear from our guests and we appreciate that time you took to share your experiences with our property and the activities you enjoyed during your vacation. We hope to have the wonderful opportunity to welcome you back to The Royal.
Warmest aloha,

Write a ReviewReviews (3,931)

Reviewed 20 November 2013

We took the family here in June and had a wonderful time overall. Check-in was a bit of a headache as there was a mix-up with the room-type and extra amenities we reserved but we eventually sorted it out with the help of a friendly staff. Note that every suite is unique so you might consider doing a bit of research before going; I would definitely recommend the side of the hotel away from the nearby mall area which can be noisy at night (and was under construction while we were there). After some perseverance, we wound up with a really nice one overlooking the garden out front plus a partial ocean view - an unexpected treat!

As for food, the main on-site restaurant is actually quite decent (kids eat free breakfast and lunch also), and the pool was an oasis of calm compared to the craziness of the Sheraton next door (to which you also have access for the kids). The cabanas seemed a bit priceyvs. the Four Seasons (where they are included) but then the rates reflect that. Poolside service could be slow at times but the staff was perfectly friendly despite being a little short-handed.

We also did the on-site luau which was entertaining and pretty typical of others we have experienced; the key there was to arrive early for preferred seating or risk a less than optimal spot. That said, it is a cozy space on the lawn so there was really no "bad" seat per se. They have live music in the outside bar most nights too which was nice while sipping one of those original mai tais (Trader Vic himself created the recipe for them back in the day).

A final thought is that this place manages to keep the historic feel but has been reasonably well maintained. We often enjoy that sort vibe over the "could-be-anywhere" hotel experience common of other resorts and had a great time as a result. If you are looking for something a bit different but still classy, the Royal Hawaiian may just be your place!

Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank John F

Dear John F,
We're delighted to learn that you and your family enjoyed an exceptional June vacation here with us at The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort. We apologize for the inconvenience experienced at check-in and we thank you for sharing that our team resolved the situation to your liking. We're also thrilled that you enjoyed Azure Restaurant and our dinner show Aha'aina. We know you have many choices when selecting a resort in Waikiki and we thank you for choosing The Royal. We hope to have the wonderful opportunity to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 20 November 2013 via mobile

Couched in history and surrounded by high rises, this iconic hotel is classic. We started our Tauck tour here and we found it to be very nice. We were lodged in the North Tower with a view of the pool and beach. The accommodations were clean , comfortable and the staff very friendly. The 'old' part of the hotel is gorgeous with burnished wood flooring and tables . The only thing that could have been improved was the room AC: a bit noisy and a tad ineffective .

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Beverly L

Dear Beverly L,
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent vacation with us at The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort. We're thrilled to learn that you enjoyed your time here at the Pink Palace of the Pacific and we hope to have the wonderful opportunity to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 19 November 2013

This historic hotel has a great presence in Waikiki but missed the mark in a few areas. I had a lot of issues upon check in with the room (key reader didn't work), was told they would hold my luggage while they fixed it and sent us to the bar. 3 hours went by and never heard from them so I approached the receptionist and they said "oh yeah its been fixed for a while now", hey thanks for letting me know before I dropped $140 at the bar and grill. Then I went to the room and they said they would send the luggage up…..3 hours later and 2 phone calls and finally had to talk to the manager and they sent it up.

The manager apologized and was able to accommodate my status upgrade and I give him props for that. Thank you!

the first day I finished my meetings around 11:30am and decided to go to the pool….what a joke! The pool has about a 15-20 chairs and is the smallest pool Ive ever seen. There were no seats available and I was directed to the mediocre chairs on the beach. As soon as I layer my towel down I was ambushed by the cabana boy and told I have to pay $40 a day if I want to use a chair? What??? $40 a day to use a chair in the hotels tiny patch of Waikiki beach. Yes, thats right if you want to use a chair at the hotel that already charges $35 day for a resort fee you have to PAY ANOTHER $40 FOR A CHAIR. Now I will tell you I have stayed at resorts all around the world and paid for Cabanas and Chairs but I have never been charged $40 for a chair when all the chairs around a pool have been taken on top of it. This was a double whammy with their tiny pool.

The Mai Tai bar staff were awesome as well as the cleaning staff and concierge staff!

I wondered over to the newer Sheraton next door that was recently built and half the price. They have an amazing pool, a lot of night life and everything was new. Definitely where I would stay on my next visit.]

The rooms were ok. I had a suite that had a separate living area for sprawling out. The bathrooms are tiny! The room service food was great as well.

Stay here if you need to add this place to your bucket list. Its a great location.

Room Tip: ask for ocean view, not partial ocean view. Also ask for a balcony.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank CarteBlancWine

Dear CarteBlancWine,
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us at The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort. We regret to learn that aspects of your vacation were anything less than exceptional. We apologize for the inconvenience you experienced at check-in and we thank you for your honest feedback, as the wait time you experienced is concerning to us and has been shared with our front desk management team to ensure such inconsistencies do not reoccur. We also apologize that our beach and pool chaise lounge reservation program did not meet your needs and we appreciate your feedback here as well, which allows us to continue to evaluate the various beach and pool services we provide to our guests. Thank you for your kind comments regarding our Mai Tai Bar ambassadors as well as our housekeeping ambassadors. Again, we apologize for the inconveniences experienced during your stay and we appreciate your honest and valuable feedback.

Reviewed 19 November 2013

The Royal Hawaiian is a bit tucked away from the main strip of hotels, but when you round the corner and actually see the pink palace, its not hard to fall in love with the place. Having way more personality and history then many of its neighbors, The Royal Hawaiian is a great place to have a vacation, especially if it's your first visit. The staff here is filled with Aloha spirit, warm, welcoming and ready to share their knowledge of the hotel, surrounding area and recommended activities - you'll definitely learn a lot here during your stay.

It's in a prime location in downtown Waikiki. The beach is just at your doorstep and there are so many good places to eat and drink within a few blocks with lots of variety We went to Azure one evening and it was simply ah-mazing - fresh seafood is their specialty - but bring some pretty pennies ($$$) and reservations are highly recommended to ensure a table.

The rooms are a mix of old and new - you can tell it's been modernized, but the charm of the old wooden doors and furniture really add to the atmosphere. Check your closet for the signature pink and white robe. It is very quiet at night and we slept quite well. On your first night they bring up fresh banana bread and every night you get chocolate mac-nut kisses (which is great, if you aren't allergic to nuts,) as well as fresh bottled waters.

Be sure to let the staff know if your visit is for a special event - wedding, graduation, anniversary - they will make sure it is special :)

Here are some additional tips to make your trip more enjoyable:

- The property is beautiful and there are often events/weddings happening - be sure to explore these areas before they are closed for private parties.

- If you have a car, be sure to take at least one day and explore the island. Waikiki is great, but the beach in front of the hotel is very popular and often crowded. Oahu has so much more to offer.

- Make sure to make reservations well in advance if possible for both activities and meals - things fill up and sell out fairly quickly depending on the season.

- October is the best time to go to Hawaii as the rain season hasn't set in yet and there aren't as many people.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Cinnastickz
RHCoordinator, Online Marketing Coordinator at The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 21 November 2013

Dear Cinnastickz,
Thank you so very much for your thorough review of The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort. We're delighted to learn that you enjoyed our historic resort and we appreciate your many kind comments regarding our friendly ambassadors, unique historic charm and unmatched dining at Azure Restaurant. We hope to have the wonderful opportunity to welcome you back to The Pink Palace of the Pacific.

Reviewed 18 November 2013

We have stayed at this property many times over the last few years.. It never disappoints where it counts.. The staff are friendly an helpful. The check in process was easy.. I think I waited all of 5 min. I booked with a travel agent and managed to get a nice upgrade to a Jr suite with ocean view. The ocean view in the classic building is well worth the extra expense..It makes any time you might spend in your room a pleasurable experience.. Not just a place to hang clothes, sleep and shower off. The rate I got included wifi and a valet parking and I got the 5th night free promotion from SPG.
The Mai Tai bar is very nice.. The atmosphere is lovely at night with live music. The service is slow but, it's a relaxed place.. The bar menu didn't feature the mahi mahi grilled sandwich I used to get but maybe mahi is out of season. Settled for a club sandwich that tasted great..
Freshly squeezed juice is not something you find at most bars on Waikiki but I hope in the future the higher end properties will start offering that. The RH seems to be good about featuring locally grown produce on their menus. There's a big campaign in Hawaii now to support local farmers and produce and I think some of the big hotels like RH are attempting to provide fresh local ingredients.
I used the gym which I found to be sufficient and very clean.. Fresh towels, fruit and water readily available... If your doing yoga or mat Pilates don't use the mats provided. They are very old and smelly and are well in need of freshening up.. I covered a mat with many towels and did a work out but, I think next time I will find a quiet space on the lawn, throw down a towel and do my exercise out on the grass in the fresh air.
I look forward to my future stays at this property.

Room Tip: The Royal classic rooms are by far the nicest. They not all have the most panoramic views but, they...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Monieblue,
We're delighted to learn that you enjoyed another exceptional vacation with us here at The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort. Thank you for your kind notes regarding our friendly ambassadors and our dining options at the Mai Tai Bar. We apologize for the inconvenience experienced due to the Yoga Mats and appreciate your feedback, as this has already been shared with our mangers for immediate follow-up and resolution. Thank you again for your time. We look forward to welcoming you back again to The Royal.

Reviewed 17 November 2013

I love staying at the Royal and have done so many times over the years. I love the history and ambiance and the graciousness of another era the place oozes. The location is perfect for the views of Diamond Head and having a relaxing, quiet retreat in the heart of Waikiki.

However, we've noticed a change in staff attitudes over the past 2 years or so and not for the better. That said many of the staff still exhibit the great friendliness and aloha the Royal is noted for. Sadly some need some customer training skills.

We had a particularly nasty run in with a front desk agent. Our last day we changed rooms in order to have a 430pm checkout as a Starwood Platinum benefit. About 330pm we went to the new room and our keys did not work. I was in a fairly wet swimsuit and T shirt and had to go to the lobby to get the keys working. I stepped in line and was immediately greeted by a the rudest lady in Hawaii. She ran from behind her desk to "assist" me and the look of disgust and disdain on her face was evident. I politely explained my key issue. She looked skeptical and asked if I happened to have my ID on me to verify my identity. I told her normally I would not have my ID pool/beach side but since we had switched rooms I did happen to have my ID. She then snatched it from my hand when offered and looked to see if it matched me quite obviously. Without a word she went into the back for SEVERAL minutes.

Upon her return she snapped "Well, everything checked out with you." And offered me keys and my ID without ever offering an apology or any kind words at all. I quipped so glad Interpol vouched for me....She gave me one last disgusted look and went back to her desk without another word.

I was disgusted to say the least by this woman and her lack of tact. Yes, I was damp in a swimsuit and T shirt in the lobby. I was not there by choice. I was there because my key cards did not work. Not my fault. I was treated like a disease and looked at like I was one of the many homeless that inhabit Waikiki that somehow had wandered into the Royals lobby. As a guest of the famed Royal Hawaiian let alone a Starwood Platinum member I would not expect this pathetic treatment. When we checked out about an hour later the agent would not even look at me . What a coward. As a result we'll stay elsewhere in the future.

Room Tip: Get a room without a connection as the doors are thin and you can hear your neighbors easily.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank rebelyell

Dear rebelyell,
Thank you for taking the time to share your review of The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort. We truly regret to learn that your experience with our ambassador's service delivery was less than exceptional. We're quite disappointed and embarrassed that such an unpleasant encounter occurred, especially with a platinum guest such as yourself. Please know that we've shared your comments with our entire management team, so as to ensure our ambassadors continue to deliver the excellent service that they're trained to provide as representatives of the The Royal Hawaiian and the Luxury Collection brand. We truly apologize that such an encounter occurred with one of our ambassadors and we hope you'll someday consider offering us another opportunity to extend our hospitality to you and your family. Your honest feedback is highly valuable to us, as it allows our team to work with our ambassadors to ensure inconsistencies such as this one do not reoccur. Again, we truly apologize for this less than exceptional experience.