I want to preface this review by saying I am a platinum 75/100 member with SPG for the past 3 years in a row. Last time I came to Honolulu was 7 years ago and I stayed at the Kahala hotel. On this trip I went to Kauai and stayed at the St. Regis and went to Maui and stayed at the 4 Seasons. Last trip even though the Kahala was an excellent hotel, we wanted to stay somewhere in the middle of the action so it seemed that the Royal Hawaiian would be a great pick. I was wrong. Let's start with the check-in process. We were given two rooms that were ADA compliant and the check-in adviser was trying to sell it as though we got a complete upgrade (yes the room went from garden view to ocean view technically). The rooms are a bit outdated, VERY humid, and the air conditioning wasn't working well. The bathroom is a bit small but outfitted with TOTO auto-wash toilets, however they do not work! The shower is very small but I think this is for ADA compliant reasons. The balcony is very nice though with a good view of the pool and ocean. The service in the hotel is sub-par, at best. The Concierge service is basically useless, they do not speak English very well. In addition to that they just handed us some brochures instead of suggesting places to go to eat. I actually ended up calling American Express Concierge and they were much more helpful. Some of our meals we used Trip Advisor to find places to eat as well, and YELP!. The pool is Extremely Small - a 30 foot diameter pool. There is a shared pool with the Westin next door. At check-in we were given a coupon to get 2 free chairs with towels at the beach everyday. I presented this to the beach services people and they said that this is subject to availability and they were booked till the 4th, I checked-in on the 1st and the 4th check-out... how convenient for them. On the 3rd I went to ask if anything opened up for the beach chairs and was told no. I looked around and literally MORE THAN 40 CHAIRS WERE UNOCCUPIED AND FREE. I proceeded to tell them I just wanted to spend an hour at the beach before we went to lunch, and they said that they can't do anything at all. This was a very disappointing experience, and actually made me not want to spend any time at the hotel at all. I spent my hour at the beach and when we left still more than 40 chairs were unoccupied. Pathetic. Anyways - breakfast was subpar, they didn't even have any bagels left for the continental breakfast however the staff was very friendly. I ordered tea from room service and they just got hot water and forgot the tea bag, by the time they got the tea bag the water was not hot. Given the humidity in the room, lack of service, horrible beach availability I would rather stay at a motel 6 quite frankly. The only thing this hotel has going for it is the location, which is good because you do not want to spend anytime at the hotel. I called my SPG Platinum line they have sent corporate email to the hotel - it has been 4 hours since this happened, I doubt I will get a response that will do anything.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Built in 1927, the iconic Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort, ushered in a new era of luxurious resort travel to Hawaii. Situated in the heart of Waikiki, the hotel offers cultural activities, gold standard signature concierge service, valet parking, doctors-on-call, florist, currency exchange service, Japanese concierge, laundry and dry cleaning, dining service and world-class restaurants and bars, wireless internet access in rooms and all public areas, multi-lingual staff, 24-hour room service, business center, and beach and pool services. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, TravelUp, Agoda, Hotels.com, Southall Travel and Booking.com so you can book your The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Hotel Honolulu
- Royal Hawaiian Honolulu
- The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort Hawaii/Honolulu