OK, giving this place 1 star is a bit draconian, but, I give it based on the fact that they claim to not only be a 5 star hotel, but also one of the best 100 hotels in the world. I thus expect the little things to be superb.
Its the little things like the below, that you accept in a 4 star hotel, but not a place claiming to be one of the top 100 hotels in the world.
1) waiting 5 minutes for the valets to stop chit chatting so I could give them my car.
2) My welcome "lay" half heartedly given to me
3) Waiting 10 minute for the concierge, while the head concierge was chit chatting with an old friend
4) The elevator to the "tower" can only be described as "Skanky". (It was dark and dirty). It also failed to open on arriving at the ground floor.
5) Bring nickel and dimed to death, even after paying a $35 resort fee.
6) Trash from the previous guest being under the bed
7) The drain pipe falling out of the sink
8) the ater pressure in the shower was weak.
9) The sand shower, the location of the faucets were highly awkward. Obvious that somebody had put it in without any thought or checkin on the use.
10) A swimming pool not big enough to swim in
11) Complimentary tea that was warm.. This is a real pet piece, a 5 star hotel should really know that tea drinkers need their water boiling, not luke warm.
12) The best. Slippers for the room, but only up to size 8. Guess they recon men don't wear slippers.
So there you have it. Wont be rushing back to this place, particularly at the prices they charged for a so called ocean view that was obstructed.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Built in 1927, the iconic Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort, ushered in a new era of luxurious resort travel to Hawaii. Situated in the heart of Waikiki, the hotel offers cultural activities, gold standard signature concierge service, valet parking, doctors-on-call, florist, currency exchange service, Japanese concierge, laundry and dry cleaning, dining service and world-class restaurants and bars, wireless internet access in rooms and all public areas, multi-lingual staff, 24-hour room service, business center, and beach and pool services. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Southall Travel, TravelUp, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Hotel Honolulu
- Royal Hawaiian Honolulu
- The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort Hawaii/Honolulu