Living in Hawaii I always loved the Royal Hawaiian, the hotel is historical and beautiful. Back in the day it used to have a grand buffet breakfast on Sundays that I loved. So naturally after moving back to the mainland I always said when I visit I will stay at the Royal Hawaiian. And I did twice, the first time in 2007 it was amazing however when I returned again in April 2012 for my honeymoon it was HORRIBLE. I know I'm late on this review but I just found the letter I wrote to Starwoods complaining back in 2012 and it reminded me to review on TripAdvisor to warn others.
First the welcome service was not very friendly. Second, the room was filthy. I had to call as soon as we arrived because there were dirty coffee cups (from the people before us), hairs on the toilet. They came and recleaned. The next morning when I asked the maid who came in to clean the railing on the balcony (it was full of bird droppings) I watched her take a rag, clean the bird droppings on the railing and then take the same rag to the bathroom and clean the sink and toilet. I asked her to leave and I did report this to the front desk, only got a we are sorry we'll send someone up. I was so disgusted I went to the store to buy lysol wipes and clean the bathroom myself.
This hotel is definitely not 5 star in service, I would give it 4 stars. When I stay at 5 stars resorts the staff does everything for you. At the Royal Hawaiian when I would go to the desk and ask about a spa appt they would tell me to walk to the spa to talk to them (instead of them calling the spa for me) or we asked about reserving a beach umbrella and they told us to walk down to the beach area to see if they had on available. I wouldn't mind the 4 star service if that is what I paid for, however we paid a considerable amount of money for a 5 star resort with an oceanfront room in the tower.
Overall, I'm very disappointed as my first experience at the hotel in 2007 was amazing but it was less than stellar in 2012. We will not be returning to this hotel, I can't get past the cleanliness issue. Also, Starwoods nor the hotel cared to address my concerns when I wrote them a review back in 2012.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Built in 1927, the iconic Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort, ushered in a new era of luxurious resort travel to Hawaii. Situated in the heart of Waikiki, the hotel offers cultural activities, gold standard signature concierge service, valet parking, doctors-on-call, florist, currency exchange service, Japanese concierge, laundry and dry cleaning, dining service and world-class restaurants and bars, wireless internet access in rooms and all public areas, multi-lingual staff, 24-hour room service, business center, and beach and pool services. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Southall Travel, TravelUp, Agoda, getaroom.com, Hotels.com, HotelsClick, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, Cancelon and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Hotel Honolulu
- Royal Hawaiian Honolulu
- The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort Hawaii/Honolulu