“Breakfast: a great waiter Julian”

The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort
Ranked #21 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed 22 April 2014

We stayed at the Pink Palace for 4 nights last week, checking out on Saturday morning of April 19. Our booking package included breakfast so we received 4 sets of breakfast coupons when checking in. We can only use the coupons for only one same restaurant and the restaurant has only one same menu everyday! There were about 15 different dishes on the menu for us the choose every morning. To be honest I really had hard time to choose a dish that I really liked on the last day. Therefore if I have another chance to go back I will not stay there more than 3 nights;) The restaurant was so busy everyday no matter early or late in the morning, so you need to have enough good luck to be able to have a table located at your favorite spot in the restaurant, like a cornor where you can enjoy the view of the ocean and the diamond head.

We were very lucky to have a wonderful waiter to help us with many little things almost every morning. For examples, he was so helpful about choosing a great spot and take photo pictures for us with a beautiful background of the Pacific Ocean and Diamind Head, playing with our naughty 3 years old child, often filling up hot tea...which we could think of any other very busy waiters or waiteresses would offer to do for us. Jillian was the waiter and we really appreciate his services. He made many of our happier mornings.

Room Tip: Room 9007 on the tower side was great!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank MASANORI H
RHCoordinator, Online Marketing Coordinator at The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2014

Dear MASANORI H,
We're delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us at The Royal Hawaiian, and we truly appreciate your kind remarks regarding Julian. It's always a joy for us to hear the wonderful praises for our ambassadors and we cannot thank you enough for taking a moment acknowledge him. We also appreciate your feedback regarding the breakfast coupon and options and we have shared this with our team. We hope to welcome you back again soon to the "Pink Palace of the "Pacific."
Warmest aloha,

Write a ReviewReviews (3,928)

Reviewed 21 April 2014

I was looking forward to staying at the Royal Hawaiian with my husband next month when have a layover on our way to Moorea/ Bora Bora. I booked a room online that stated no deposit required and was so excited to stay at this historic hotel. A few days later I noticed that the full room rate was charged to my credit card already.

I called the reservations department to clarify the situation. When I tried to explain the situation to the reservations representative, they just kept telling me that I booked a fully paid rate. I know that I didn't do that because I was very careful when booking in case I changed my mind about where I wanted to stay. So after a few minutes of trying to figure out what happened, she said that she would have the reservations manager contact me.

When the reservations manager called and left a message, she called explaining that there was some kind of computer glitch that caused the system to charge my card and I would just have to call back so that they can verify and refund my card. When I called back, I spoke to another reservations representative because the manager was on the phone with someone else and the representative asked me if she would be able to help me. I explained the situation to her and she just kept insisting that my rate was booked as fully paid over and over again. I asked her if she read the notes on my account and she finally said oh, okay, well we can go ahead and refund you. I asked to speak to the manager anyway because I wanted to make sure that everything happened correctly.

I understand that system errors and computer glitches happen all the time and that's fine. But what was really bothersome was that instead of trying to help me and see what was going on, the representatives that I talked to all had argumentative attitudes and insisted that they were right and I booked the wrong room. Being a "Luxury Collection" hotel, they should be better trained in excellent customer service.

I still have the reservation with the Royal Hawaiian but am definitely going to be looking for somewhere else to stay because I'm already so dissapointed with their customer service and I don't really want to think about that on my honeymoon.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Tracey Z

Dear Tracey Z,
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent booking with us at The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort. We truly appreciate your detailed description of the billing issues experienced and we apologize for the inconvenience and frustration caused by this reservation system. We've sent you private message requesting for your reservation information so that our team can see to it that your stay with us is exceptional.

Reviewed 20 April 2014

Definitely stay in the Royal Hawaiian Tower. The hotel is very old and the rooms in the main section aren't all that great. People want the ocean views mainly, so the tower has the best views, with balconies! The hotel needs a complete make over. Room service was so fast. Faster than going to their restaurant. Our trip was great otherwise. I surfed, we chilled at the beach. Waikiki beach is beautiful with shallow water and fine sand.

Room Tip: Definitely get a room in the tower facing the ocean.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Thea B

Dear Thea B,
Thank you for taking a moment to review your recent stay with us at The Royal Hawaiian. We regret to learn that aspects of our resort did not meet your expectations, however we appreciate your feedback regarding your overall experience. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again.

Reviewed 19 April 2014

If the desire is to stay and enjoy the hustle and bustle of Waikiki this is a great place to stay. The access to the beach is fast. The main shopping street is close by. The grounds have a lot of tropical green. The hotel is a busy place with functions, many guests, still maintaing a rather quiet feel, once the activities calm down. Always happy to go there again. Room tower and higher floor, for the ocean view. Best thing to do, get a board and out into the ocean for a day surfing.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Gogohan

Dear Gogohan,
Thank you for taking the time to share your review of your recent stay with us at The Royal Hawaiian. We're happy to learn that you enjoyed a lovely vacation with us and we look forward to welcoming you back for another vacation at the "Pink Palace of the Pacific."

Reviewed 18 April 2014

This hotel is expensive, but it is beautiful. . .the atmosphere and ambiance gives you a feeling of royalty. It is a very old hotel, but well kept. . .it has a lot of "class". The local people often have dinner functions in the Royal Dining Room. The ocean view is gorgeous. It is also located in the heart of Waikiki, but you cannot see the hotel from Kalakaua Avenue (it's set-back behind the Royal Hawaiian Shopping Center). If you can't stay at the hotel, drop by to have lunch or walk around the grounds.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Rainbow50
RHCoordinator, Online Marketing Coordinator at The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2014

Dear Rainbow50,
Thank you for taking a moment to share your comments regarding our resort. We take great pride in our stewardship of this historic hotel and iconic area and we cannot thank you enough for sharing you appreciation of our efforts. Please, come again soon!

Reviewed 17 April 2014

So..my partner and I went to get married in Hawaii in February, and we decided to give the Royal Hawaiian a 2nd chance based upon the reviews. I was very pleased my 2nd time here. We reserved an ocean front tower room this time, and mentioned upon checking in that we were getting married that week. We were treated exceptionally well. In fact, we were given a bottle of sparkling wine each night, as well as 2 chocolate strawberries, decorated as 2 grooms! A very special gesture. Our room had fantastic views, and was very clean with a comfortable bed. We also used the spa, and had massages - the best we've ever had. Excellent job, Royal Hawaiian - we will be back!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank BostonBF

Dear BostonBF,
Thank you so very much for taking a moment to share your review of your recent stay with us. And thank you for giving us a second chance to welcome you back, especially for something as special as your wedding! We couldn't be more delighted to learn that our team made sure to make your time here extra special and personalized. We look forward to welcoming you back again!

Reviewed 16 April 2014

Finding the entrance to The Royal Hawaiian was a little tricky since the driveway is not directly on the street. But once we found it, we were so impressed with the landscaping and old world beauty of the hotel. And I love pink ☺

We stayed in 3 hotels for this vacation, and this was my husband’s favorite. There was so much to do and he sleeps well, so the things that bothered me were not issues for him.

My issues were that we heard the wind blowing through the room all night long the first night, like being in a wind tunnel. And the room had an odor of smoke even though it was supposedly a non smoking room. As for the wind, we fixed that (for the most part) on the second night when we realized that we could close the window across the hall from our room. So if you stay in the tower, check those windows before bed. I enjoyed the banana bread late at night when I couldn’t sleep.

We ate at the Surf Lanai for breakfast (included in our rate). It was lovely – a beautiful view, delicious food and very friendly service. Same for the Mai Tai bar for lunch.

My husband took a surfing lesson from Dane and had a great time! I sat by the pool – it was small, but that didn’t matter to me. I also enjoyed the small waves in the ocean. We didn’t bother to rent chairs.

We were high up in the tower and our view was gorgeous. Also, if you like to unpack, be aware the closet is in the bathroom.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank bcaha

Dear bcaha,
We're very happy to learn that you enjoyed a lovely vacation with us here at The Royal Hawaiian. Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding the air flow in your room and the suggestion to check the hallway windows. We apologize for the unpleasant smoke smell. We do have other smoking rooms in the resort and this could have been a result of the smell being carried through by the breeze. Regardless, we'll have our housekeeping team check on the room. Please see your private message, as we've requested a room number. We're delighted to hear that you enjoyed a surf lesson with the beach boys; it's perhaps one of the most amazing experiences here in Hawaii! We hope to welcome you back again soon.