I travel to Hawaii twice a year and I am also a SPG Platinum member. This was my first stay at the Royal Hawaiian since the much needed renovations. Upon check in valet was friendly but assumed that we were not guests... once we told them that we were checking in they then catered to us. Upgrade was not avail to an ocean view room so we were given an option of a newly renovated suite in the historic wing with a garden view Vs our confirmed reservation in the beach front tower ocean view. We choose the suite. The room was nice and remodeled with eccentric modern furniture... They do leave little bananna bread treats just for the 1st night. The walls are paper thin and we were able to hear the guests in the other room... Unfortunately, the paper thin walls was the room where the King size bed was. Bath Amenities are great. No fitness center... we were directed to go use the Sheraton's fitness center. Poolside we were not allowed to enter the "Beach Tower Guest Area" because we were staying in the historic wing... I spoke with the employee and expressed to her that we were booked for the Tower Room but was "upgraded" to a historic suite... She told us to speak with the front desk. We didnt bother doing so, but i mentioned it at checkout and was told that the historic guests didnt have access to the beach lounge... i wanted to rip my hair out but let it go...
Overall, I feel that for this iconic "5-star" hotel, should be more attentative to details, as well as recognition to SPG members. Not worth the rate of the rooms. I have been to Hawaii over a dozen times and even as a Platinum SPG member looking foward to the opening of the "new" Royal Hawaiian was greatly dissapointed.
If you are not an SPG member then DO NOT STAY HERE! It IS NOT WORTH THE MONEY!!! If your going to pay $300-$400/night then you might as well stay at the Halekulani Hotel (blocks away - a REAL 5 Star hotel) or at the Kahala Hotel (not on Waikiki Beach but 15 mins away via free hotel shuttle to and from Hotel to Waikiki - This is where the Obama's and many royalties, and celebrities have stayed at).
If you are an SPG member then I would recommend staying at the Westin Moana Surfrider (typical Westin with the feeling of being one guest out of a million, but at least you pay half the room rate then the Royal Hawaiian!). SPG's wanting to really stay at a 5 Star property in Hawaii should only look at The St. Regis on Kaui or other Hotel/Resorts outside of the SPG network.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Built in 1927, the iconic Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort, ushered in a new era of luxurious resort travel to Hawaii. Situated in the heart of Waikiki, the hotel offers cultural activities, gold standard signature concierge service, valet parking, doctors-on-call, florist, currency exchange service, Japanese concierge, laundry and dry cleaning, dining service and world-class restaurants and bars, wireless internet access in rooms and all public areas, multi-lingual staff, 24-hour room service, business center, and beach and pool services. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Priceline, Southall Travel, TravelUp, Odigeo, Ebookers, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Cancelon, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Hotel Honolulu
- Royal Hawaiian Honolulu
- The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort Hawaii/Honolulu