“Beautiful Hotel in the heart of Waikiki”

The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort
Ranked #18 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Farmingdale, New York
“Beautiful Hotel in the heart of Waikiki”
Reviewed 17 December 2009

We spent 4 lovely days at the Royal Hawaiian. We are SPG members and rcvd 50% off w/35% discount on dining. We stayed in a newly renovated King Garden View, beautiful but I agree the bathroom was very small (reminded me of a NYC hotel). The service was impeccable, twice daily, w/turn down service and chocolates and bottled water. We ate breakfast at their restaurant right on the beach...awesome! (Enjoyed coffee in our room first) The AZURE Restaurant wonderful for dinner....and loved the MAI TAI BAR!!!! Best place to be for cocktails and sunset and also GREAT for lunch!! Entertainment every night. LOCATION CANNOT BE BEAT! You can walk on the beach to Dukes for cocktails then to the Moana Surfrider for cocktails....but...Royal Hawaiian MAI TAI BAR makes the BEST Mai Tai's (trust us) it's the best location on Waikiki Beach with the most beautiful beach and view of Diamond Head! Any questions, email me.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank professor_eNewYork

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (902)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
New Zealand
Reviewed 15 December 2009

My fiancee and I stayed at the beautiful Royal Hawaiian during November 2009. The hotel is absolutely stunning, reflects the beautiful hawaiian culture and is in a great location.
We stayed in an Ocean Front Tower Room which was lovely - the only complaint here was the extremely loud air conditioning unit which made it difficult to leave on during the night!
There is no fitness centre in the Royal Hawaiian but you do have access to the Sheraton Waikiki and there facilities are state of the art!
The pool is small but you do have access to the new Playground at the Sheraton and you are lucky enough at the Royal Hawaiian to have an area roped off on the beach with sun loungers and umbrellas - beware though most of the good seats were reserved by 6.30am so prepare to get up early!!!

The only complaint we have about our stay at the hotel was the service of particular staff.
We requested basic information on a number of occassions from the Conceirge (car hire, carparking, hours of shopping mall) and were met with a blank look and complete lack of knowledge of the area. Also on a couple of occassions we left waiting while staff members chatted amongst themselves - completely ignoring guests!
Defintely wouldn't have expected this for the price the hotel charges!

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank travelfun_nz
UK
Reviewed 10 December 2009

Its a big Pink Hotel! Right on the beach (imported sand from Australia). It is very conveniently located in the centre of Honolulu right by the shopping malls. It is a very pleasant hotel, but let down by certain things - I think it is really overpriced for what you get. The rooms are very well decorated, but the bathrooms are tiny and the walls are paper thin (I could hear every word my neighbours said). Only one (unspectacular) restaurant, but there are plenty others in the vicinity. There is no fitness center (a must for business travellers) and there is no decent pool. Also, they wanted to charge me $25 to use the Sauna which I refused (every other hotel is free of charge for guests! Cheeky people!)

As this is supposed to be pretty much the best on offer in Honolulu, I don;t know where else to stay better. It was okay for business - but I wouldnt stay here for vacation - go to one of the resorts on another island!

• Stayed November 2009, travelled on business
4 Thank TRAXUK
Portland OR
Reviewed 10 December 2009

My mom and I stayed at the Royal Hawaiian last week. She was there on business and I accompanied her very excited to show her the hotel I had previously had a good experience at. The arrival greeting was wonderful and all of the staff was pleasant. We had a newly remodeled room with a garden view that was lovely.
On our first night there I notice a large amount of blood on the toilet (I have pictures, but thought it would be too much for people to see). I immediately called the front desk and was told someone would be there right away to clean it. We left and returned very late to see it was still there. Three more calls and a request to speak to the manager and the potentially bio hazardous material was never removed. We were never contacted by any employee or manager however our bill was promptly slipped under the door by 7am on our check out date. I put no to recommending this hotel only for the customer service. It is a lovely hotel at a great location, but for the price of the rooms this was a big disappointment and potential dangerous.

As a side note extremely expensive fees for in room internet.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled on business
7 Thank PortlandORLuv2travel
RHManager, Revenue Manager at The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort, responded to this review, 30 December 2009
Aloha and thank you very much for your review of the Royal Hawaiian.
Let me first thank you for the compliments on the arrival experience, our Ambassadors in the Front Desk and Bell Desk take pride in delivering exceptional service with our unique and heartfelt Aloha spirit.
We certainly apologize for the issues with the housekeeping of your room which was absolutely not up to our high standards for guest experiences. We hope that this is an isolated incident but we welcome feedback such as this so that we are able to ensure that is does not happen again in the future.
We also apologize that you had to make several calls and that you were never contacted by a staff member, this certainly is very disappointing and not the way we intend to do business. We will certainly use your feedback to further refine our guest services and experiences and enhance our responsiveness on all issues.
Thank you very much for your invaluable feedback and we do hope that you give our amazingly beautiful historic icon a chance on your next visit to Waikiki.
Seattle
Reviewed 4 December 2009

My husband and I celebrated our 20 Year anniversary here, and we loved every minute of it! We were first put in a garden room and it was absolutely beautiful! My husband wanted to have a view of the ocean, so we upgraded and we are so glad we did! The view was amazing, the balcony was so great! Loved sitting out there and checking out the sights! Loved looking at the Pink umbrellas, the pool, the sandy beaches. I brought my pink wedding dress i wore 20 years ago, we brought our friend the photographer, and we Trashed the Dress! Into the ocean I went! We have great pictures to capture this memorable moment. So happy to have stayed at the Pink Palace! Great memories were made. A big thanks to the amazing staff, they went above and beyond! Great location too, right in the middle of everything! Thank you Royal Hawaiian!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank GoodLivin
Sydney Australia
Reviewed 1 December 2009

I had not been to Hawaii in over 20 years so I was most interested to return with my wife and 3 daughters ( 22 , 20 and 16 ) for nearly 2 weeks and compare it to Asia where we had spent our holidays for the last 10 years .

We took adjoining rooms in the Tower section and were fortunate to get an end room with a wrap around balcony. Everything about the trip was great , except the bathrooms require updating and the airconditining is excessively noisy. The bathrooms were not really an issue , but the airconditioning was as it made sleeping difficult. Having said that , the rooms were spotless and thoroughly cleaned each day and again at turndown. We quickly learnt to turn the air con on when we went out for dinner and then turn it off before going to bed and that seemed to work, you cannot leave the doors open due to ocean noise - tough problem to have !

Indeed the entire hotel is spotless and the quality of staff is a credit to management. The hotel has an aura of understated elegance and you constantly get the feeling you are really staying somewhere special.

I could not fault the hotel or its staff. Checkin was seamless and even though we arrived at noon , our rooms were ready. Each afternoon the beach staff would ask if we wanted lounges on the beach the next day and they were always ready. Hotel staff were most co operative and after a couple of days were addressing us by name.They were courteous and respectful without being too familiar.

if you stay in the tower , you receive the benefit of the lounge in the lobby of the tower where you receive complimentary tea/coffee/pasteries from 7am -10am and from 3pm-6pm. We would get a tea or coffee and pastry and eat it on the balcony each morning

The location is the best in Waikiki with all the shops girls like closeby. I felt very safe and Honolulu would have to be the cleanest and tidiest city I have ever been to.

Whilst the pool is small , that did not bother us we spent all our time on the beach and in the ocean . We did not eat at the hotel. I had a good look at the other hotels and would not stay anywhere else. I got a terrific deal through this site when I used expedia to book the room and cannot wait to return next year. Even though the air conditioning was loud , that would not deter me from returning.

Put simply , it is a very classy hotel with a unique ambience. I am told that the tower section is about to follow the original section and undergo a major upgrade in the next 18 months which will put the hotel in a league of its own.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with family
6 Thank McLee58
Holly Hill, Florida
Reviewed 22 November 2009

Near my favorite beach bar on Oa'hu, "Dukes"! The staff are attentive, polite and make one feel as if they were the main attraction. Having worked in the service industry, I know how hard it can be to attract and retain such staff members. Kudos!

Stayed February 2007, travelled on business