“Love love love this hotel.”

The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort
Ranked #17 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Key West, Florida
“Love love love this hotel.”
Reviewed 27 June 2010

We have a soft spot for historic and grand hotels and this one really made us happy. The staff and service were top knotch. The rooms were very quiet, though small, were well appointed and up-to-date. We slept like rocks. They were helpful with early check-in and late check-out. Food at restaurants was good. It's always been a favorite and we love the remodel. The outdoor areas were peaceful overall, even with a few yipping out-of-control kids about. Highly recommend it.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (885)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Leawood, Kansas
Reviewed 26 June 2010

Like many other reviewers on here, I was "walked" from the Sheraton. I found out 48 hours before I was supposed to leave.My family was also felt to feel unwelcome and all I heard during our stay was "i'm sorry"... I stayed here 20 years ago so I knew what to expect, but I was very disappointed as I was looking forward to the Sheraton and their balconies. I was promised by the Delta Vacations rep that I would be upgraded if available, but sadly never was. I asked several times and one time the front desk lady quoted me a rack rate of $400 more per night to upgrade. Also quoted a riduculous rate of $125 a night for a rollaway bed. Not family friendly at all.
Breakfast was good but service was very slow. Maid service occured very late in the day, and my final day did not occur at all. We came back to our room at 3pm to get ready for our luau, we placed the do not disturb sign out and and I guess that's the ONE time the maid came by. I complained and the front desk mgr said they called and left me a message, no message on machine. So on checkout day our trash was overflowing and the bathroom was full of wet towels.
In my opinion the only thing I really liked about the hotel was the chairs and umbrella on the beach.

Australia
Reviewed 25 June 2010

We recently stayed for 9 nights at the Royal and could not fault anything about this hotel. The service when you first arrive is first class until the time you check out. I meet the GM for the hotel Kelly Hoane who was very switched on around what customers are after in this hotel. We loved the little things like the complimentary cofee in the morning and also the business centre which had free internet for guests. The pool which is shared with the Shearton next door is amazing in particular if you are travelling with children. We actually pretty well stayed 80% at the hotel and reallyenjoyed the hotel instead of rushing around doing everything like tours etc. I rate this highly and we will be back in Novemebr. I would recommend the Junior suite which has ample room and great location,.

Pawling, New York
Reviewed 24 June 2010

I recently stayed at the Royal Hawaiian which I understand was recently refurbished and it shows. It is a lovely pink hotel in a very busy part of the city but feels very isolated. The room was a nice size and I loved the bathroom. The closets were a little small but adequate. Air conditioning was adjustable and what I particularly loved, was that the windows opened and there was a ceiling fan. The bed was quite comfortable. However, their service is a little lax. My flight arrived at 11:30 and check in time is not until 3 pm. They offered the use of one of their suites for those people whose room wasn't ready, but the suite was crowded and not fun. When I returned at 3 pm to get my room, people still hadn't been checked in and since there was no system to determine who had been there first, I had to explain rather firmly that I had been already waiting for three hours and really didn't want to wait anymore.

My room was never cleaned. I left at 8:30 am for a meeting, and came back at 11:30. No clearning. Left for 2 hours, still no cleaning. I put the "do not disturb" sign on the door and fell asleep, waking at about 4:30 pm. Went out, did some shopping and came back an hour later. Still no cleaning, but housekeeping called to leave a message asking whether I wanted my rooom cleaned or not. By that time, what was the point?

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank Tainc
Honolulu
Reviewed 23 June 2010

I too was "bumped up" from an oversold room at the Sheraton to the Royal Hawaiian. However instead of feeling like welcomed hotel guests, we were treated like annoying unwanted spillovers. It took us almost two hours to get checked in and sadly it didn't improve after that. The staff is just poor. The words we heard more than any other during our stay were "I'm sorry". "I'm sorry we overbooked your room. I'm sorry we've made you sit around to get checked in. I'm sorry we undercooked your food more than once at more than one on-site restaurant. I'm sorry the beach staff are lazy and ignore many guests. I'm sorry we didn't provide you with a bill prior to checkout so you can review your fees. I'm sorry about the loud guest in the room next door. I'm sorry for the poor old plumbing that's noisy and will wake you up. Here, have some more banana bread and free low-grade Champagne." Pretty sad for a two-day visit.

2 Thank EwaBound
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 19 June 2010

My family and I stayed at this hotel during the first week of June. Although we had stayed here in previous visits to Honolulu, this trip we booked at the Sheraton Waikiki but were provided a complimentary upgrade to the Royal due to an oversold position. This was our first visit after the recent renovations and addition of the pool that is shared between the Royal and the Sheraton Waikiki.

First of all, the hotel is as beautiful as ever. The only downfall is the continued encroachment of other properties (Sheraton) taking more of the bygone era closeness away. Additionally, I think that the hotel sent some of the services of a 5-star and luxury collection elsewhere. I must say that I still love the Aloha greeting with a lei, cool towlette to wipe the sweat from the brow, the refreshing elixir and banana bread provided at check-in, but this is where most of the "service" stops. The turn-down service and towel refreshing throughout the day is no longer in place. Additionally, the number of hotel staff walking the halls and greeting guests with the spirit of Aloha has also diminished. Overall, I felt the warm welcome but was left wondering later in the week if I was still at the same hotel that I had checked into earlier in the week.

The rooms are very nice and clean while the bathroom amenities (soaps, etc...) are top notch. To this day, the weekly Luau (Aha Aina) is fantastic and now includes cocktails within the price of $150 per person. However, you can obtain the same show if you just visit the Mai Tai bar and get a seat early on Monday evenings.

As you can imagine, everything in the hotel remains pink attributing to the hotel's overall theme as the "Pink Lady" or "Pink Palace" of the pacific. I love that some traditions never change.

I still recommend this hotel as one the best places to stay in Waikiki for a touch of historical class, however; be advised that the level of service and ambience has declined from years before. However, a nice Mai Tai and the unmatching view of Diamond Head makes up for any of the lacking services. Yet, Starwood should remove the "luxury collection" title unless it intends to make the whole trip a priceless experience of Aloha.

5 Thank ManFromIndiana
Scottsdale
Reviewed 17 June 2010

Thie RH was a nice hotel. The perks included private beach (with complimentary lounge chairs and umbrellas), lei arrival, and banana bread in the room. The other reviews are true, the grounds are beautiful and very well kept. I was quite disappointed in the room though. We stayed in the historic building which had beeen most recently renovated. The rooms weere well decorated although sparsely furnished (most likely due to the small size of the room). I would guess maybe 250 sq feet. There was only a standing shower and no tub. The accomodations were nice with down bedding, etc, but I just expected more for staying at a 5 star and especially for the astromical price we paid. We did not eat at Azure but It smelled great each day when we walked by. We ate at the Mai Tai bar and the burger was quite good. We did not try the spa at RH, (they do not offer pre-natal massages) but we did try the spa at the Outrigger next door. Heather was AMAZING!!!

To make the most of your trip I would recommend getting up between 5-6am each morning and putting towels on the lounge chairs on the beach so you could get a good spot every day. I would also forego the hotel's breakfast and eat at the excellent buffet next door at Duke's. And eating at the Shore Bird restaurant is a MUST. You grill your own food which is an experience in and of itself. :)

2 Thank wurldtraveler09