“A great place to sleep” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ambassador Hotel Waikiki

Ambassador Hotel Waikiki
Ranked #73 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Ripon, California
“A great place to sleep”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014

It's a hotel in a good location and that's what we were looking for. Nothing fancy but for the price, we got what we expected. About a 15 minute walk from Duke's, etc. Bus stops all around to wherever you want to go. Used the "business center" to print boarding passes which was very handy. Must have been a fire station nearby as there were sirens much of the time. Our room was on the second floor and there were no stairs with one elevator out of service and two VERY slow elevators which really sucked.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cruisnfox

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Fort Worth, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for 5 nights. It's the best deal on the island. The room was a king bed with a balcony. It was very clean and housekeeping did a sensational job everyday. Within walking distance to everything. Staff is SUPER friendly and helpful with directions and things to do. Room is basic but if you're on Oahu to stay in the room, you're doing it wrong. Stay here! It's wonderful!

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mrshoward0214
Cerritos, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014

We booked this room for one night. We were vacationing in Maui but chose to see what Waikiki had to offer. The front desk receptionist were both amazing. They allowed us to check in a little early. Gave great suggestions on where to eat. We stayed in one of their Penthouse rooms. The room was clean but yet really didn't feel so clean. Not quit sure if it was the carpet or that the building in old. No wifi in the rooms only in the downstairs lobby. Although I booked for 6 I had to pay additional $30 for a rollaway due to not enough beds. The wrap around balcony was excellent we could see the ocean on onside and the mountains of the other. If you do book for a large party be prepared to share the ONE shower in one of the bedrooms. The restroom in hallway is only a two piece. I really think what made this an okay stay was that the staff was truly wonderful. The location is great it is in walking distance to everything. If you don't mind a 10 minute walk.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Ali W
Honolulu, Hawaii
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2014 via mobile

Do yourself a favor and stay here on your holiday.. Stayed 11 days and have no complaints.. Would recommend to everyone.. This is the best hotel deal around treat yourself... Staff was very nice and helped every time I needed them. Nice neat rooms no dust or mold.. Do it right and stay at this hotel..

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank incubux
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

I stayed at the Ambassador in Waikiki for 5 nights while I was in Hawaii for a wedding. I figured any hotel in Waikiki would be decent enough, but I was wrong. Everything in this hotel is old and outdated. I felt like I was staying at a hotel in Mad Men. Let me also state that I only travel a couple times a year and don't stay in that many hotels (besides Vegas). I have also worked in customer service for 10+ years, so I know good service when I get it.

The bathroom and shower were terrible. There was only one free standing sink, which I didn't mind since I was traveling alone, but there was zero bathroom counter space. I'm a guy, so I'm low maintenance. I need somewhere to put my toothbrush, toothpaste, and my hair gel. That's it. But with the lack of counter space, I had to use the toilet tank to set my toothbrush and gel, and nearly had a close call dropping my toothbrush into the toilet. I have no idea what a girl would do with this space with makeup and other toiletries.The shower was even worse. It was a stand-up shower with no tub (didn't matter to me), and felt like the tile hadn't been upgraded since the place was built (my guess is 40-50 years ago). Needless to say, I wore my flip flops into the shower. The shower head also sprayed in 30 different directions, which was fun.

The worst part of it all, was the front desk customer service. One day (the day of the wedding, of course), I did not have hot water!! WHAT?! I took a cold shower then ran off to the wedding since I was running late, waiting and hoping for hot water to turn on. When I told the front desk about this as I was checking out, she asked me if I called and told them. I had not (my mistake). She said no one else complained about it, so it must have just been my room and I should have called them about it. I told her I was running late and didn't have time to complain so I took a cold shower, then asked if she was going to do anything about it to make it up to me. She responded with "what do you want me to do about it?". She never once apologized or showed any empathy towards my situation. I had to ask her to waive a measly $20 parking fee, which she went behind the counter to get "supervisor approval".

Oh, I almost forgot! The only place in this hotel with WiFi is the hotel lobby! So the lobby was always packed with people sitting and standing around using the WiFi, it was difficult to even walk through sometimes. I found an ethernet cable in my room and called the front desk to see if I could hook up my laptop to it for internet access. The front desk told me that cable is for a modem and not my laptop, so I needed to buy a modem. Stupid me, I didn't even try to hook up my laptop. So I went out and bought a modem and tried hooking it up. It didn't work, so I called the ever-informative front desk. Now, they told me I can hook up my laptop directly to the cable and I don't need a modem. I told her that the last person I spoke with told me I needed a modem, but she didn't care.

Between the terrible shower, lack of hot water, poor customer service, and the rock-hard bed and tiny TV (both of which I didn't even mention), I would never stay at this hotel again. It felt like I was staying at a hostel. For the price they charge per night, this hotel is way overpriced for it's amenities, and they don't even attempt to make up for it through their customer service. The only thing decent about this hotel is the location, which earned them 1 star. That and I can't figure out how to give it zero stars.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Cal_B8k
General M, General Manager at Ambassador Hotel Waikiki, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Aloha Cal_B8k,

We sincerely appreciate your comments regarding your recent visit and please accept my apologies for the issues that you encountered. Our goal is to leave a very positive lasting impression on all of our guests and create wonderful memories that can be shared for years to come. We are very saddened to hear that your experience with us was far from wonderful. I assure you Cal_B8k, that we will review your concerns and address them appropriately. Thank you for taking time to bring your concerns to my attention.

Sincere regards,

Roy Yamamoto – General Manager

Travellers are raving about these Honolulu hotels

Woodstock, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014

We stayed at the Ambassador from April 5th to 12th, 2014. We loved it there; large room cleaned and supplies replaced every day. The staff were very friendly and helpful. Good security; the elevator wouldn't work without your room card. Well equipped business center included in the price. Very central; 10 minute walk to Waikiki Beach and several very nice eating places. The only thing that could have been better would have been FREE parking, but overall, a great value!! We would return.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
General M, General Manager at Ambassador Hotel Waikiki, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Aloha David T,

I am really happy to hear that you received and experienced our “Aloha” Spirit”. Our Employees take great pride in providing all of our guests with the best service. Thank your for the great review.

Sincere regards,

Roy Yamamoto – General Manager
Bethpage, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2014

We stayed from April 1-10. I was traveling with 5 adults and two children ( 4 and 6 months). We had two rooms both with kitchens. This hotel was perfect for us. The rooms were very clean and had everything we needed. The hotel staff were very friendly and helpful with any questions. The only way to get wifi in your room is with a laptop. Each room is hardwired so all you have to do is plug in the Cat five wire. The only draw back for this hotel was the pool. Pool hours are from 10am to 7pm. I will stay at this hotel again.

If you are planing on renting a car I would contact Hawaiian Discount Rentals. We rented a minivan at a great price.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family