“Not recomemed”

Ambassador Hotel Waikiki
Ranked #75 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed 13 June 2014

Stayed here the second half of my second trip to Oahu. This hotel is maybe a 1-star. The staff are sort of friendly. One night I went for a run and asked the front desk to hold me key, they said no as I had no ID to pick it back up. I asked him if he was working all night he said yes. I asked him what would happen if I lost while on my run as I had no pockets. He replied with "well we couldn't let you into your room", so then I said okay Id have to sleep in the lobby then?? he huffed, sighed, rolled his eyes and then said he would do it ONLY once. The beach towels are located on the second floor. Which is fine except you get a sign out slip that your supposed to bring back with you when you return the towels (extra hassle for no reason). The elevators at the hotel have a mind of their own, I had to push the button 5 different times (light on, light off, no elevator, repeat) The beds are not very comfortable unless you like hard bed. The rooms are plain but I did have a mirror. If you like to swim at a pool this hotel does have that going for it. NO free local calls, they charge a dollar each! Other hotels with the same price point are nicer (Like the Aqua Aloha Surf- same price way better amenities). This hotel also only provides shampoo and soap (no lotion, conditioner or gel body wash)

Room Tip: Higher the better as its less noisy.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank Lisa B
General M, General Manager at Ambassador Hotel Waikiki, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Aloha lisa b,

Thank you for taking the time to reflect on your recent experience at Ambassador Hotel Waikiki. Our sincere apologies for any inconvenience you encountered while signing out beach towels and the unusual action of the elevators. Regarding your encounter with my front office staff, we definitely should have been more accommodating. This has been brought to the attention of my Director of Front Office.

We really appreciate you bringing your concerns to our attention. This allows us to continuously strive for product and guest service excellence. We have recently upgraded our amenities to include shampoo, conditioner, hand lotion, face and body soap. We are also completing a brand new fitness center and game room. Hopefully in the future you will give us a chance to share all of the enhancements that are happening at the Ambassador Hotel Waikiki.

Sincere regards,

Roy Yamamoto - General Manager

There are newer reviews for Ambassador Hotel Waikiki

Reviewed 5 June 2014

We have just spent two nights at this hotel. My sister, brother in law, husband and myself shared a one bedroom unit. It was clean and comfortable. The beds were good as were the pillows. It is an old hotel but very handy to everything and I would stay here again if ever back in Waikiki.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Geoff-Dale
Reviewed 3 June 2014

I stayed for a week here, in a room with a kitchen - which we wanted, but then didn't use! I agree with other reviewers about the décor being a little tired, and could be updated - maybe with more tropical colours.
We were very close to the beach, and walked there (about 10 - 15 minutes to closest at Fort De Russy park) several times, and also used the pool most days.
We were close to bus stops for getting into shops and Honolulu, which were nice and cheap ($2.50 each leg) and easy to find.
Staff were really helpful for giving directions and very generous with local area maps - very appreciated.
A room compendium with all information in one place would have been helpful - I had some messages on the phone, and did not have enough information in room to be able to retrieve without asking reception for help.
It was handy to have the laundry room available - and not expensive either.
We ate at the hotel across the road for breakfast a couple of times, which was convenient. Also walking distance to some good restaurants, including Tony Roma's and Red Lobster.
I think I would stay again - for a decent sized room with kitchen, it was good value for money, and quite a central location.

Room Tip: Ask for one in the short tower - we were on level 3 with pool on same level, we had no road noise, a...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Sharon_SLM
Reviewed 3 June 2014

If you want something basic and no frills then this is for you. Rooms were clean and comfortable. Rooms are not that well insulated compared to both the Hilton's we stayed in, you could hear outside noise easily, ie rubbish pickup, trucks etc. Though I would definitely recommend staying somewhere a bit more expensive if you can afford it, much quiter and better facilities. Kitchen was very useful and was clean and well house kept. Concierge was only available during the day and not at night when you need it most. WiFi worked well in the rooms, was fast and reliable.

Room Tip: Ask for one higher up, may be less noise
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 May 2014

This hotel is basic but functional. We had a kitchenette with full size fridge/freezer, stove and all basic utensils and dishes .It helped save money, we made most of the meals ourselves. It also has a washer and dryer at a reasonable cost. But most of all is its position on the Waikiki beach. The hotel has no other buildings in front of it and although is not directly on the beach it offered a view of the beach. From the hotel we could walk in both directions to explore the area. It is a good hotel for tourists who are interested in seeing and doing and coming home to sleep and shower. if you plan on spending time in the hotel, it may not be for you. Cleaning could be better. Higher floors offer better view of the Waikiki beach.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank rodica n
Reviewed 27 May 2014

I stayed here from May 18-25, 2014.The staff are amazingly friendly and very accommodating. I appreciate the security that is involved in getting onto the elevator and into the parking lot. It makes it feel so much safer. It may be a bit inconvenient, but I challenge anyone to say that safer isn't better when travelling abroad.

I enjoyed the convenience of most things surrounding the hotel and was a short distance from Waikiki Beach. The rooms are very nice, clean and comfortable. The kitchenettes are stocked well with utensils, pots and pans so if you want to cook in your room, you can make just about anything.

I would most definitely recommend this hotel but ask for ocean views and higher up floors (I was on the 15th floor and saw tons).

Room Tip: On Friday evenings, they do set off a major fireworks display. You want to be close to Waikiki Beach...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Rick P
Reviewed 24 May 2014

It was my second time staying in this hotel. The room is very big, much better than the Aqua Waikiki pearl for the same room type. The cleaning lady is very good always making up the room very tidy. The middle age guy in the front desk is very help like two years ago. The location is little bit far from the DFS, around 10 to 15 mins walk, but if you do not mind walking along the street is a good hotel for the budegt, The old male receptionist is a little bit slow for check in and out and answering the questions, compared with him, the middle age receptionist who worked at the night shift on May 22 is very helpful.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo