“Great Value and Great Service”

Ambassador Hotel Waikiki
Ranked #74 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
San Diego, California
“Great Value and Great Service”
Reviewed 26 August 2014

It wasn't looking good when our reservation thru Groupon was mixed up and Groupon was closed for the weekend. But the staff stepped up and solved the problem and took good care of our large family. Our stay was 2 weeks long and we found the staff to be friendly and extremely helpful. Room was kept clean and enough extra towels supplied without continually asking. Carpet was new. Hotel provides reusable water bottles and filtered water in the lobby. Close to shopping and quick breakfast/coffee. Room had full kitchen with smaller oven and 4 burner stove and full fridge which helped us save a lot of dining expense. Suggest to hotel to update the kitchen by replacing countertop and cabinetry, and look at replacing stove burners. Add a little color by painting in bathroom, similar to the new paint scheme in the hallways. All cosmetic but will improve the "feel." Already while there, the staff was repainting the facility and we learned that was due to new ownership. Kids really enjoyed the new game room, especially during the threat of hurricane. Easy walk to Waikiki Beach thru the park across the street.

Room Tip: Corner suites have larger balconies and north and south facing rooms have fewer neighbors facing fro...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank AnitaBSD
General M, General Manager at Ambassador Hotel Waikiki, responded to this review, 2 October 2014
Mahalo for your comments!
I am happy to hear that overall your visit with us was a pleasant experience.
The areas of concerns in your comments will be used for future improvements to our property.
Again, appreciate your business and hope to see you again in the near future.

Roy Yamamoto

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Reviewed 19 August 2014

I booked this hotel originally for 2 nights but I had to cancel the 2nd night as my experience was so bad and had to book a room at another hotel. Right at check in, the customer service and vibe coming from the employees were bad. The female who checked me in (Cathy) was very rude to my daughter and I. Being a single mother travelling with my teenage daughter, Cathy gave me one of the more old and "sketchy" rooms of the hotel. The room was old and nothing compared to the pictures shown on their website. The linen was dirty and the AC did not work and we had to wait for an hour to get the technician in to fix it. For the price I paid, it was definitely not worth it compared to the other boatload of hotels available in Waikiki. And that says a lot since I was in Hawaii for a week and I was very satisfied with the other hotel I stayed at down the street.
The hotel is a bit worn out, as the floors leading to hotel rooms were carpet and it was open walled, so when it rained (which it did), the rain would get on the carpet and it would be soggy and disgusting.
The check in experience was very uncomfortable for my daughter and I, and I will never stay at this hotel again.
I filed a complaint to their assistant manager Randy, and they never even emailed me back with a response to which they said they would.
In Waikiki, there are so much more hotels that are undoubtedly better than Ambassador and was definitely not worth my money nor the time they wasted during my trip.

• Stayed July 2014
4 Thank Pearls1996
General M, General Manager at Ambassador Hotel Waikiki, responded to this review, 23 August 2014
Thank you for your comments!
I am very sorry for the negative impression our staff left with you and your daughter.
We strive for constant improvements and will take every phase of your comments for improvements.
Mahalo
Roy Yamamoto

Travellers are raving about these Honolulu hotels

Reviewed 18 August 2014

I think this hotel is in a good location, but tired looking for the price. The staff are very helpful and cheerful, except one of the concierge (female) was less friendly.
Something that Concerned me was the popcorn ceiling in our room was flaking off, and it had fallen on my son's face, and bed during the night. The hotel was built in 1968 when some popcorn ceiling still contained asbestos and this worried me. I wish I could have taken a sample to have it tested. Has anyone else noticed the popcorn ceiling debris?

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank moominsan1
Thank you very much for your comments!
We will take into consideration your comments on the popcorn ceiling for future enhancements to the room refurbishment program.
Much Mahalo
Sierra Vista, Arizona
Reviewed 15 August 2014

the ambassador is old and our room smell like something die. I would not recommend this place to anybody. check out the place before you make a reservation. and check the company you make your reservation to see if there any extra fees.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank Jose S
General M, General Manager at Ambassador Hotel Waikiki, responded to this review, 16 August 2014
Thank you for your comments!
We are sorry that you felt our accomodations did not meet your expectations. The majority of our guests who have stayed with us have given us a rating that is based on their value during their stay. All companies that book reservations for us disclose our resort amenity fees and parking charges.

Reviewed 15 August 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for our honeymoon through a groupon deal. It is a decent hotel, nothing to rave about, but the staff is very friendly and accommodating. The rooms are big and has decent views if you have a room higher up (we stayed on the 16th floor). It has a pool, close to shopping and all the restaurants. It is all a person needs - if you like the upgrades and fancy stuff I wouldn't recommend, But the location is good and has all the basics a person needs.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Katherine R
Thank you very much for your comments!
I am happy to hear that we met your needs during your visit with us. I am also happy to hear that our staff was of service to you.
We hope to see you again in the future when your visit calls you back to Waikiki.
Much Mahalo
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 13 August 2014

Staff was very nice, friendly and helpful. But hotel is very old; room and bathroom badly in need of updating. No counter space in bathroom at all. Overpriced for the condition of the rooms. Don't think it's that safe of a location to be walking at night either.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank dottie317
General M, General Manager at Ambassador Hotel Waikiki, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
Thank you for your comments!
I am glad that our hotel staff treated you with the genuine Aloha Spirit that Hawaii is known for. We are currently upgrading and refurbishing all of our rooms. Our property is located in the quieter part of Waikiki, where traffic and pedestrian traffic is lower than the central area.
I hope you will consider staying with us again after all of our room refurbishing has been completed.
Much Mahalo!
Fremont, California
Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

I would give this place 0 stars if I could or if it weren't for the nice manager Sean. This place is very old, out dated,  and dirty. It's worse than a motel 6, but they charge like a 4 star hotel. Spend an extra $25 bucks and stay at a nicer hotel (parkshore was only $17 more,  across the street from the beach and way nicer and cleaner!!) Seriously.

I booked 2 nights at the ambassador,  at $150 a night. .. Yea,  waikiki hotels are expensive.  But this isn't even walking distance to the beach.  I get there, they add $30 a night for an extra person (even though I booked a triple bed room) and then $20 resort fee and $25 for handicap parking.  So we're talking $225+ a night for a 1-2 star motel!  This was totally unacceptable to me.  Not to mention, the front desk service was so rude and unaccomodating. Kathy, the "lead" specifically. She would be so nice to other customers,  giving coupons, recommendations, asking if they need help with their luggage,  going over all the amenities,  perks, "let me know if there is anything I could do to help make your stay more comfortable" smiling the whole way through and then to me and my family - her attitude was like "what do you want?" She was rude, did not offer any of the services she offered the person in front of me. She interrupted me in themiddle of my question, was just mean and  unprofessional. The male staff were super friendly and helpful.

I decided to talk to the manager Sean about our situation, and he was real nice,  accommodating putting us in a lower floor (my mom can't walk very far and is afraid of heights), upgraded us to a room with a kitchen (the whole building in general is just really old and kinda gross), and waived some of the extra fees. If it weren't for him,  we probably would have went to a different hotel.

Seriously, don't waste your money here.  poor location,  poor service,  dirty (I didn't even want to take off my flip flops to shower)  really old building and amenities,  totally not worth the money.

• Stayed August 2014
3 Thank Lilaznbunny7
Thank you for your comments!
I apologize for the hospitality you received during your visit. Bookings are based on double occupancy and in the event a booking was placed for the number of guests staying in the room, the rates would have been pre-calculated at the time of booking.
I am sorry about the service you recieved by one of our guest service agent and we have brought it to the attention of the Management for corrrection and follow up. Parking on our property is limited we are forced to charge all vehicles, including the use of the handicap stalls a $25.00 fee per day. On the plus side, our parking allows for ample in and out privileges without the use of a valet service and waiting time. Many other properties in Waikiki charge a much higher parking fee which does not allow self parking privileges.
I am glad that our male staff at the front desk treated you with the genuine Aloha Spirit that Hawaii is known for. Again, much Mahalo! Roy Yamamoto- General Manager