“Wouldn't stay anywhere else. Perfect location! ”

Waikiki Beachcomber by Outrigger
Ranked #37 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed 21 February 2014 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel through the period of january 28th - February 11th 2014. It was perfect. People always say that it doesn't matter which hotel you stay in because you won't be in your room however I believe if you find a hotel which is in the right location & adheres to all your needs then it enhances your experience away and the holiday inn did that for us. We stayed in a quad room partial ocean view & loved it, the room was extremely spacious we would've thought having 4 adults in there we would be cramped but to our suprise we had plenty of room. The rooms are also pretty modern. The hotel staff are all so accommodating and attentive, every time we called reception due to needing something for the room they sent someone up right away! There are plenty of sun chairs by the pool & the pool and spa are very decent also. The hotel provides you with unlimited beach and pool towels. The holiday inn is situated right in the middle of kalakua avenue. It's literally right across from the cheesecake factory & the royal hawaiin centre. We walked everywhere its right in the middle of the main district. Waikiki beach is a 1 minute walk, all you need to do is take the walk way next to the cheesecake factory & your there. Ala moana mall is about a 30 minute beautiful walk or a 10 minute trolley ride. Free wifi throughout the hotel, the gym is small but it does the job. Everything is very clean also. I am definitely staying here when I return you can't go wrong it's in the perfect location, clean, modern, accommodating & with such beautiful staff, no resort fees. Why would you stay anywhere else !

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Guest Service M... B, Guest Relations Manager at Waikiki Beachcomber by Outrigger, responded to this reviewResponded 22 February 2014

Aloha and thank you for your review. WOW! This is a comprehensive review that hits on so many key points. From our central location and our attentive staff to our amenities and clean rooms, it sounds like the Holiday Inn Waikiki Beachcomber Resort made quite the impression on you! We really do appreciate your feedback and we look forward to seeing you again in the future. Mahalo and aloha until we meet again!

Write a ReviewReviews (2,862)

Reviewed 21 February 2014

This is a perfectly located central location in Waikiki. Everything here went smoothly and the rooms are extremely clean and modern. I would have liked a dimmer switch on a few of the lights as I'm sensitive to this. Very smooth valet parking situation by the way and easy to take the elevator down to the bottom and hop right in your car. I plan on going back. Great value.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends

Aloha and thank you for your review! It's good to hear that you were pleased with our central location here in the "Heart of Waikiki". Yes, the valet pick-up area is very convenient and the valet staff does a great job of assisting our guests with their needs. It is such an awesome compliment when guests say that they will be returning--we can't wait to see you again soon! Mahalo!

Reviewed 20 February 2014

I stayed at this hotel due to my platinum member status with IHG hotels, and was looking to burn some IHG points with this stay. From the get go I was a little disspointed to learn that some of my nights here at the hotel were not able to be taken care of with points due to the hotel not having any reward nights left (due to IHG points are taunted as not having blackout dates or never expiring). Anyways, I paid to stay the nights that the hotel could not accommodate my point stays.

I arrived at the hotel to find that the hotel was nicely placed in the middle of the busy shopping district and most anything you wanted was within walking distance of the hotel.

The beach was located just one block away (4 min walk maybe).

I arrived at the valet area to be directed to go up the escalators to the lobby. Upon entry into the lobby I was greeted by the lobby personnel. The lobby was a very refreshed area, looking to have recently been upgraded and reflected the iconic Holiday Inn Colors. During check in I was not recognized as being a platinum member (this is becoming all too common around all IHG hotels, don't seem as though loyalty means anything to them any more). Anyways I was given a king bed room on the 8th floor.

When I went to my room, I was shocked to find the room is just that....a basic room. for the hotel to be called a resort I was shocked to find it to be a basic king size bed inside a basic room. The nice features of the room were the balcony and the nice amenities ( the bathroom amenities included large shampoo bottles, bigger than the normal hotel sizes) and the balcony that overlooked the bustling streets below.

The balcony view was of the streets below and the roof tops of buildings near by, there was a very partial view of the ocean by looking through some of the building over on the other side of the street.

Another great amenity of the room was the floor to ceiling door shutters and curtains that kept the sun out during the morning hours if you wanted to sleep in.

Speaking of sleep and night time, the hotel as stated before is located in a very busy part of Waikiki beach, and the hotel can become very loud at night, so if you have a hard time sleeping with the least bit of noise this hotel isn't for you.

My stay was "average" here, very comparable to any holiday inn express anywhere else in the world, nothing remarkable of the hotel. The pool was average, the staff was average and the Jimmy Buffet rest. and store was average.

Also, a word of warning...DO NOT GO SEE THE OVER PRICED SHOW THEY HAVE AT THE HOTEL...THE SHOW ALONE COST $55 (NO FOOD OR DRINK INCLUDED) AND THIS IS A WASTE OF TIME AND MONEY...HORRIBLE MAGIC SHOW!!!!

Anyways, my stay went normal with no real hiccups. On the day of checkout I was not granted a late checkout (although once again I am a platinum member), although I was advised they allowed guest to utilize a hospitality room during checkout if they would like to shower and freshen up before their flight. While waiting on my shuttle I went to the lobby bathroom and was greet by the worlds larges roach, I was grossed out at this point...basic pesticides take care of roaches!!!

In conclusion, if I return to Hawaii I will NOT stay at the Holiday Inn "Resort", I will spend my money elsewhere and get a real resort feel. However, if you are needing somewhere to stay with family on a budget I believe this would be an okay place, just don't expect to be wowed.

Room Tip: Higher the room the better (away from the noise)
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Zackary W
Simeon M, General Manager at Waikiki Beachcomber by Outrigger, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2014

Aloha and thank you for taking the time to review us on Tripadvisor. Mahalo for being a dedicated IHG Platinum member. Please contact us at hnlor@hibeachcomber.com so we may rectify our shortcomings, we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience and hope to hear from you. We are excited about the lobby renovation this year and room and property refresh planned for the hotel in the coming months. Thank you for choosing our hotel for our great location with shopping and Waikiki beach nearby. Mahalo nui loa for your patronage and we hope you return to our beautiful island.

Reviewed 20 February 2014

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Waikiki Beachcomber Resort for 10 nights in January.

I was a little underwhelmed. Having stayed at Holiday Inns in other countries I expected a higher quality stay than what we received.

Firstly, I booked a "Premium Kalakaua Ocean View" room over 6 months in advance and requested for the highest possible room due to noise, the stay was paid for at the time of booking. When we arrived we were given a room on the 14th floor. I queried this with the front desk as I had assumed that a "Premium" Ocean View as opposed to a regular Ocean View room would be higher. I was told that the premium rooms start from the 12th floor and go up from there. The hotel has 25 floors. Long story short I was told that (14) was the highest I could have as there was no availability. So much for my special request - did I mention I was checking in on my 21st birthday? Such a disappointment!

The view from the room was not bad, but I feel we could have had basically the same room for a much cheaper price in one of the other categories.

- The beds were consistently short-sheeted and housekeeping never changed the linen unless we left them a note asking them to.
- You receive three bottles of water upon check-in, but no more are provided for the rest of your stay, you have to purchase them.
- No complimentary pieces of laundry, though there is a self operated one downstairs which you have to pay for in quarters, then sit and wait for it to finish.
- No sanitary bags are provided with the bathroom products, there is no bin in the bathroom and the ones outside are not lined, women beware?
- Bathroom has no exhaust fan.
- The bench top and sink are outside the bathroom so you must put your clothes on the floor.
- Noise was an issue. Street noise including sirens and various vehicles and construction will keep you up at night if you're not a heavy sleeper.

I don't feel that any of these are representative of a "resort" style accommodation.

There was of course, good things as well.

- Location is excellent, right in the centre of everything.
- The lifts were never a long wait, though they malfunctioned once.
- Reiko at the front desk was exceptionally helpful in giving directions and advice on getting around.

All in all I feel that this would have been a higher rated stay if we had picked a lower room category and paid a little less. I believe the prices on the lower categories are excellent value. I was just a little disappointed that we paid the extra for not much at all, especially when there are a lot of reviews here where people have complained about their room and been moved to a higher floor. The staff didn't seem to care that we weren't satisfied.

All in all it IS an ok hotel, I would even say good, but I don't believe the premium rooms are worth it. We may return again in a regular room, or we may go elsewhere.

Room Tip: Premium rooms are not worth the money, an ocean view or partial ocean view would give just the same...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Amy B

Aloha and thank you for taking the time to review us on Tripadvisor. Good day from Waikiki – thank you for visiting our beautiful island. We have reviewed your comments and addressed the shortcomings with each department - we apologize for falling short on your expectations. We have also have taken note of some of items you mentioned to our specific hotel brand as the resort brand may not require them – thank you for your recommendations. Our location to great restaurants and shopping (and we are only 300 steps to Waikiki Beach) makes us an ideal resort location. As January was one of the busiest months to be in Waikiki, specific room types with value rates were sold out quickly, we suggest booking your visit with us as soon as you can and pay attention to our shoulder months value deals and special room type packages. Mahalo for staying at the Holiday Inn Waikiki Beachcomber Resort.

Reviewed 20 February 2014

Very nice hotel, very clean and everyone helpful.Liked the safe in the room. Also Jimmy Buffet restaurant and bar is very nice and lovely food, careful if you're not a big eater though, the serves are quite large.

Room Tip: We had an ocean view room on the 22nd floor, a bit of ac unit noise at night but not unbearable
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Aloha and thank you for your kind review! We are so glad that you enjoyed our clean hotel, helpful staff, and Jimmy Buffett's restaurant on our lobby-level. Please be sure to come visit again soon. Mahalo!

Reviewed 18 February 2014

Great hotel, very close to the beach. This hotel is conveniently located next door to a Macy's, along with other shopping stores. There are a ton of high end shops on this strip near the hotel and a Ross dress for less, less than half of mile from the hotel. The hotel staff were very nice, the breakfast buffet was excellent, our room was super clean, beds were comfortable. There is a Jimmy Buffets in the hotel as well with $5 happy hour drinks, very convenient late at night when the hotel bar closes. Overall great hotel for families, singles, exc. I would stay here again!

1  Thank TonifromOhio
Guest Service M... B, Guest Relations Manager at Waikiki Beachcomber by Outrigger, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2014

Aloha,
Thank you for taking the time to share some excellent tips with TripAdvisor and we truly hope you enjoyed your stay with us. As you have mentioned, our centrally located property allows our guests to take advantage of some great shopping and delicious eating with so many different option within walking distance. It gives us great pleasure to learn that our entire staff throughout the property were able to accommodate a seamless experience for you and we truly appreciate our efforts of being acknowledged. We hope that you can come to visit us again very soon and we will anticipate your return. Mahalo Nui Loa for the awesome review.

Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

Our room was kept clean and neat largely due to our room support lady named Maracon.

She always had a smile for us and made sure she didn't intrude on our quiet times, but got the room cleaned efficiently and well. She was a bright star in an otherwise a good to OK hotel.

Thank you Maracon.

Micheline and Bob

2  Thank RL Bob H
Guest Service M... B, Guest Relations Manager at Waikiki Beachcomber by Outrigger, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2014

Aloha,
Thank you for reviewing us on TripAdvisor and acknowledging one of our staff members. It is always exciting to hear our guests compliment specific staff members and we are certainly thrilled that Maricon could go the extra mile and provide the exceptional level of service the IHG brand is truly known for. Mahalo Nui Loa for the awesome review and we hope to see you soon.