“Eco Tour Oahu Island”

and up
Oahu Circle Island Tour
Ranked #20 of 323 Tours in Honolulu
More attraction details
Owner description: Leave those giant motor coaches to the herd. Savvy travelers join Discover Hawaii Tours on our small-group tours that include the Road to Hana, island sightseeing, eco tours, private tours and much more. Our huge selection of tours and our friendly, professional tour guides create an unforgettable experience of Hawaii that you'll love. We want you to feel at home in our islands, and it's our mission to provide the perfect tour for your Hawaiian vacation. We want you to love our tours so much that you’ll tell your friends! Since 1995, we’ve hand-selected the finest tour guides in the islands. Our guides are experts on Hawaiian history and culture, including Pearl Harbor and ancient Hawaiian folklore. When you choose Discover Hawaii Tours, your tour guide will be as memorable as the breathtaking sights around you.Discover Hawaii Tours is a locally owned and operated company with headquarters in Honolulu.
Vista, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Eco Tour Oahu Island”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2013

Our tour guide, Bruce was born and raised on the island. His attention to details were exceptional and his care and love of the island heightened our experience. His knowledge of the history of the islands along with the delicate ecosystem gave us a better understanding and appreciate of the Hawaiian Islands.

All this and the breathtaking views made this a trip that will not be forgotten.

Mahola!

1 Thank Jenny R

• Korean first
  • Slovak first
Folsom, CA
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“Hawaii Volcano eco-tour from Oahu to Big Island”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2013

I'll start with the pluses - tour bus was small and comfortable (small in that tour group size was small), guide was very knowledgeable. Lots of opportunities to walk around, even take short hikes (1/2 to 1 mile). Great scenery, of course. Buffet lunch at Coconut Willy's was actually very, very good, I was impressed. Lunch is on your own dime, but we got a "deal" of $15 for a full buffet and it was very tasty indeed. Tour pretty much consisted of a drive thru Hilo, a stop at Rainbow Falls, and then spent most of the day in Volcanoes National Park, viewing Kilauea, lava beds, steam vents, and the like. Do not expect to see hot lava on this tour - you simply cannot get close enough to see it, and the main crater of Kilauea only reveals its glow at night. You do see lava entering the sea at a distance, but it would require an arduous hike of several miles to reach it. If you want to see lava, you'll need to do an aerial tour or visit at dusk. There is a chance for rain and for colder weather at the higher elevations, so bring a light jacket or raincoat. We had great weather. I recommend shorts but have layers of clothes to add as needed (personally I rarely get cold so I didn't need them).
The negatives - travel to/from Oahu to Hilo was tedious. NO FOOD AT THE COMMUTER TERMINAL so be sure to get something to eat before you arrive. Fortunately the tour stopped for malasadas (Portuguese doughnuts) early on and they were delicious! I stayed on the North Shore so there was no hotel pickup, I met the tour at the airport. Check-in at the airport was odd - I checked in and got my boarding pass at the airport, but then got "paged" and the airline staff almost seemed to scold me, saying "we need to know that you are here!". Well, duh, I just checked in with you 30 minutes ago.... Both flights to and from Oahu were DELAYED and that made for a stressful trip, as I feared that my tour would be cut short. It is a very long day so get plenty of sleep the night before!
The guide does talk almost constantly, and 95% of what he said was very interesting, but I can see that some people might find that aspect of the trip a bit tedious. You just have to kind of go with the flow and enjoy the ride, and you'll have a great time. I was expecting a "local" Hawaiian guide based on the company's website, but our guide was from the Jersey Shore! However, he did know a lot about the island. Every once in a while I heard a misstatement of fact, I assume unintentional, such as Niihau being near Maui (it is west of Kauai, far from Maui), but overall he knew his stuff.
If you have the time/chance to hear the ranger's talk at Volcanoes Nat'l Park, do it! We lucked out on our trip and got to drop in on a ranger's talk.

3 Thank Leisure_Traveler045
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Big Island Volcano Eco Tour”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2013

This was a great tour and a very long day, but very interesting thanks to our tour guide Steve who was like a walking encyclopedia. Our day started off with a very early morning flight from Oahu to the big Island where Steve was waiting for us, so we were on our way in no time. We began our tour throught Hilo Town where Steve gave us a great narrative of the towns history, then we continued on to the black sand beach where we stopped for some pictures and a little bit of exploring ( big difference to our lovely golden sand beaches here in oz ). We travelled along untill we reached the Volcano National Park sightseeing along the way with Steves expert narration. We watched a video all about the volcanos at the visitors center which was pretty good, although I have to admit to nodding off for a few seconds, not because it was boring but more because of the early start. We stopped at a local golf club for lunch and got up close an personal with a couple of NeNe, Hawaiis national birds (apparantly you don't get to see them that often so that was a bonus).We continued on our to the thurston Lava Tube where we got to walk through the lava tube, stopped at a waterfall, some steam vents, we got to see the steam billowing out of the crater and we walked on the lava fields where the last eruption had covered the road. At the end of our day we finished off at the Thomas Jaggar Museum for a birdseye view of the Volcano, we were hoping to get a glimpse of the lava but you don't get to see it untill nightfall when it gets dark, unfortunately we had to leave before the sunset to catch our flight back but Steve was great he let us stay as long as possible leaving at the last minute. I managed to get a few good pictures where there is a little bit of a red glow starting, night time viewing would be spectacular. It was a very long day but one that was well worth doing and thanks to Steve for his knowledge and making it a great day out.

Visited January 2013
Gardnerville, Nevada
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Tour and guide well worth the price”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2013

My husband and I loved our tour of Pearl Harbor. Our tour guide Joey was so friendly and helpful, plus being a local added so much to our tour. Even at our 6:00 am pick up he was full of energy. I would defiantly recommend the tour to anyone visiting Oahu.

1 Thank marie04581
DiscoverHawaiiTours, Manager at Discover Hawaii Tours, responded to this review, 14 February 2013
Thank you for the kind words. We'll be sure to let Joey know how much you enjoyed the tour.
Jeffreys Bay, South Africa
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Dont waste your money”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2013

Don't waste your holiday money when there are cheaper alternatives for the same tour. We fell for this companies hype and paid more expecting great coaches and seats, on the first trip the coach was old and the upholstery was in poor condition. On the second trip the coach was of a similar age but seat back was broken.
We have sent this company three 'E' mails without reply, so can only conclude that they don't bother with customer service once they have your money.
On the second tour they were late picking us up and were over 30minutes late picking the group up at midday.
We coundn't recommend this company based on our experience.

Visited January 2013
2 Thank AucklandSteve762
DiscoverHawaiiTours, Manager at Discover Hawaii Tours, responded to this review, 15 February 2013
Aloha AucklandSteve-

Thank you for taking the time to give us a review on Trip Advisor. We take all of our reviews very seriously, and we use this information that is passed along to improve the quality of our tours. We do not want to make any excuses for your dissatisfaction. We are very unhappy that your e-mails have gone unresponded to. We would like to hear from you, and I guarantee a response. If you would like, please send us another e-mail to our Reservations Department, or give us a call directly to our Honolulu office at (808) 737-3700.

Mahalo,