“Huge property, but we liked it!”

Grand Waikikian by Hilton Grand Vacations
Ranked #25 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Albertville, Minnesota
“Huge property, but we liked it!”
Reviewed 9 March 2014 via mobile

One of the people my wife works with is part of the timeshare culture and let us use her time here. Upon arrival everything was the way it should be, professional check in, professional baggage handling, etc. First impressions for looks were very good. We did not have an ocean view but city view which was kind of a nice change as we would be on the beach all day. One surprise is how busy the traffic is on the main road next to the hotel. The traffic in the entire city is as bad as I have seen. You will hear sirens and loud exhaust systems with the patio doors closed but it's not bad. I liked the city and mountain views at night. This is an enormous complex with several hotel buildings and a mini shop and restaurant area in the middle which was also a nice surprise. We shopped and ate at several of them, (Frescos, Tropics, one of the Japanese places, the pizza place and the ice cream place). I also liked the several ABC stores on site for snacks. We laid out by two of the pools and one day on the beach and rented an umbrella and beach lounge chairs, all placed for us by staff. (By the way for you cheap skates, tip these guys, as I saw many people not tip them after they lugged these items out to the beach and set them up for you). I also tried paddle boarding in the lagoon which was really fun. There is a car rental place on the premises and we rented a car for the day and drove the north shore, only 75 dollars. Don't waste money on the Atlantis sub ride, you don't see much. There was a huge party and band on Friday night in the common area which we could have attended but did not, it looked fun though. I have seen many posts about this being a "Japanese tailored property". I have to disagree. While there was a large contingent of Japanese tourists and staff to assist them, there are as many non Japanese staff and people staying as well. Frankly I liked it as it made the hotel an international experience for us. The room was a suite with a fold out couch and full kitchen which we stocked with items from the ABC store. Huge bathroom, jacuzzi tub, and large patio and sitting area. Nice flat screens, and comfy furniture. We did run out of toilet paper and towels and I talked to a worker in the hallway who promptly brought us what we needed.

Our next trip to Hawaii I don't think we would go to Waikiki or Oahu island as Maui was much more of the Hawaiian experience we were looking for, but if I had to go to Honolulu again, I would stay here no problem. Lots of pluses here, no real negatives, maybe the sheer size of the complex, but do your research first if this is a problem for you.

Stayed February 2014
3 Thank Sean L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Kusatsu, Japan
Reviewed 6 March 2014

I can relax like your own home. It is a feeling that went back to home unlike hotels! I feel freshness "It's - Hawaii oh" very much I bought farmers' market fruits and vegetables, and eat in the lanai by creating a healthy smoothies in the morning because there is a full kitchen. The ~ I can make anything right refrigerator, rice cooker, microwave, oven, coffee maker, juicer, dishwasher equipped with We will always walk to serve as the exercise because about 10 minutes to walk to Ala Moana Shopping Center. It is good for health because it walk and well being in Hawaii.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family

DC
Reviewed 5 March 2014

The resort was fine. Nice pool and friendly staff. But the hotel left a lot to be desired. The furniture was worn out with scratches all over it. Our bedroom wardrobe wouldn't close and swung open taking one lower drawer along with it. And the enamel of our tub was chipped. Not what I expect from a Hilton brand. Best Western maybe, but not Hilton. But the worst part of our room was the view. We paid for a partial ocean view. And I recognize that we would only see a sliver of the ocean, which is fine. But what I don't expect from a partial ocean view (read = charged extra money) is a full frontal view of a very busy loud and smoggy street! Seriously?! This is the second highest category of view and I get the luxury of trying to sip my morning coffee while looking at the morning commute?! Never again. Stay at the Lagoon or Kalia.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Grand Vacations

hiltongrandvacations, Manager at Grand Waikikian by Hilton Grand Vacations, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
Thank you for staying with us and for taking time to provide us with your feedback regarding your most recent stay. We were delighted to have you as a guest at our resort and would very much like to follow up in regards to Partial Ocean View category at Grand Waikikian Tower. This is not something the resort can make a decision or change right away however we will take the necessary steps to follow up with the appropriate department to improve our service. We are very sorry to hear that your experience at our resort was less than satisfactory. Please know that every member of our team wants to ensure that our guests are leaving our resort feeling extremely satisfied. Our entire resort team values any feedback we can receive from our guests. It is through this feedback that we are able to identify areas that may be in need of improvement as well as recognizing areas in which we do well. On behalf of the entire resort team, I would like to thank you once again for sharing your feedback with us and we hope for the next opportunity of having you as a guest at our resort.

Akiko Shiratori
Resort Manager
Silver Spring, United States
Reviewed 3 March 2014

I prepaid for a Hilton Grand vacations stay when I did a tour in Orlando. I chose this location over the other two Honolulu locations based on price and Trip Advisor ratings.

This hotel is nice, but so are most other hotels in Honolulu. I was disappointed in the room and the view, especially after recently staying at the Elara in Vegas. The view from this 21st floor hotel was an unimpressive city view. I requested a high floor beach view, but I guess the are less willing to accommodate if you have prepaid for the room. Self parking was $27 a day and you had to drive to least the 3rd level of the deck unless you wanted to valet park, which was $33 a day. I hate valet parking, because you have to pay more to wait for your car. No big deal.

The room was nice, but sort of bland for a beach room in Honolulu. It was clean when we entered the room, but they only service the room one time in a week unless you pay for more service. All the pillows are very thin, which is so unlike any other Hilton worldwide I've stayed in. I was able to eventually get service to bring me another one, but the guy stood there like he was wanting a tip. Why should I have to tip for a decent pillow? They would bring up towels quickly if you called down and requested it. I had a hard time getting toilet paper, so I finally went to the second floor and procured some off a cleaning cart. I'm not sure why they can't just stock extra in the room like other Hilton properties do. They have a decent kitchen with an empty fridge. Bring your own skillet or buy one, because theirs is terrible.

For some reason I had to attend a sales pitch for the property, although I had already paid for the room. It was in the middle of the day, which ruined our day. I tried to get them to reschedule to another time for us, but they said they couldn't. We attended with an open mind anyway. My goal was to be very friendly and actively listen to their pitch, but "Lance" quickly changed my attitude.

"Lance" didn't like when I mentioned that I wished I could have changed the time of our meeting. He rudely said they were too busy for that and that I should just be glad I got a good deal on the room. I told him that I paid almost $300 a night 8 months ago, which wasn't that a great of a deal after I researched that hotel and others. He got furious and exclaimed I was staying in a $1,200.00 a night room. I was shocked that he thought I was an idiot. I told him that I could have gotten this room for around $320 online. He told me I was wrong. I said I guess my computer was lying. He said it sure was. I then told him he needed to treat me better than that, because I did have a little sense. I have an MBA and am very well-traveled staying in many hotels, including some in Honolulu. He said he didn't care and then asked me if I planned on wasting his time or if I was buying. I told him not with the way he was treating me. He then walked out of the room and then came back to tell us that we were free to go, while he escorted us to the door. I then proceeded to give him a tip to help him, because I work with consumers daily. I told him he would be more effective if the treated people nicer instead of like third-graders. He didn't seem to care. I can't believe Hilton lets their salesmen treat potential customers like crap.

What a way to lose a potential customer. This hotel was just okay for me. I will not be staying at this one again.

1 Thank Steve S
hiltongrandvacations, Manager at Grand Waikikian by Hilton Grand Vacations, responded to this review, 6 March 2014
Aloha and thank you very much for staying with us on your most recent stay in Honolulu. Thank you also for taking time to write about your experiences and feelings regarding your stay with us. The Vacations Club suites are in three different towers with various categories ranging from Studios, One Bedrooms, Two Bedrooms and Penthouses all with different view categories such as city views, ocean views, all again with various prices and points associated with their use and ownership. Guests and owners with city view units often request ocean views, and if the requested view is in the particular category booked or owned, we do our utmost to provide. However, as is often the case with our Grand Vacations Towers here in Waikiki, we are running a very high occupancy and cannot always oblige all requests. I would like to apologize for the slow and not so helpful service you received from our room delivery staff and we will train and re-train the staff to provide better, faster and friendlier service. I will also be speaking with the sales managers about the importance of showing aloha spirit to our visitors and potential owners who have come to Hawaii. As you seem to have purchased one of our vacation packages the sales tour is a pre-condition, though you should have been made to feel welcome and should have been able to leave with a smile on your face. Thank you again for staying with us and also for taking the time to write about your experiences. We all hope that you give us here in Hawaii another chance to show you the spirit of feeling of aloha.

John R. Reagan
Resort Manager
Seattle, Washington, United States
Reviewed 21 February 2014

We are HGVC members. Have stayed at HIlton Hawaiian Village before, this was our first time at the Grand Waikkian though. We had a partial ocean view two room unit (room 1805.) Two minor complaints about the room. 1) when we checked in we were told we would have a great view of the fireworks from our room. No, it was an OK view, I wish we had gone down to the beach. The Rainbow Tower blocked most of them. 2) AC was great in the living room and the second bedroom, but pretty wimpy in the master bedroom.

Room was clean and plenty spacious for the five of us. We like staying at the resort with our teens as there is plenty of stuff for them to do and hang on their own. Staff is great...very responsive when we called for more towels or anything else. When the parking elevator was closed for maintenance a staff member walked us through a back way all the way to our car (he could have just pointed out the stairs.) Enjoy the bar service at the pool and all the food options (have the pork nachos at Tropics...yum!)

1805 is right next to the elevator. However, we hardly noticed it. Sometimes in the morning when it was really quiet I could hear a slight swooshing sound...it actually sounded like waves, but we were not close enough to the water to hear those. It did have the two twin beds in the second bedroom, which is what we really needed.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Lakeville, Minnesota, USA
Reviewed 18 February 2014

The Hilton Hawaiian Village is immense - over 20 acres of campus including shops, restaurants, tours, art, pools, beach, and lagoon. It is an urban setting so do not confuse it with a Maui, Kauai, or Big Island's beautiful and tranquil beaches - but is does have its draw for those who want a little bit more action, large selection of marvelous restaurants, easy transportation in Waikiki and Honolulu. It is expensive vacationing and if you are staying in town do not rent a car the parking alone will be $30 to $40 per day. Depends on what you want in a vacation and what you are willing to pay for it.

Reviewed 17 February 2014

We spent 10 days at the Grand Waikikian and enjoyed every minute. We had a great view, we were able to cook and do laundry. We were close to a mall, walmart, and other stores and restaurants. Great beach, pools, gym, bars, yummy brkfst buffet. In walking distance of Waikiki but in a nicer spot. We even walked/ran to Diamond Head.