“Convenience plus”

Ranked #15 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
“Convenience plus”
Reviewed 1 June 2012

Stayed for a few days, would've liked it to be more. Nice hotel in an excellent location. Great view from our room, but there's so much else to see and do within walking distance that we didn't get much time to appreciate it. Found it a little odd that the balcony was also a non-smoking area.

Staff were great, nothing was too much trouble for them. Will stay there on my next visit to Oahu for sure.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Tony M
OutriggerWaikiki, Manager at Outrigger Waikiki Beach Resort, responded to this review, 5 June 2012
Aloha and G'day Tony from Queensland,

Thank you for staying with us and in providing positive comments. In regards to the non-smaoking balcony, it's a State law. We do however offer an outdoor dedicated smoking area by our on-site self serve laundromat. Again, thank you and please do come back and stay with us soon.

Warm regards from all of us at

Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,363)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Slovak first
Midwest USA
Reviewed 1 June 2012

You can't beat the location of this hotel if you are looking to be right in the middle of Waikiki Beach action. The staff were very helpful and friendly. I have stayed here before and have always loved this hotel. This time, however, it was missing some of the magic. I know we got the discount because we stayed during the rennovation. I expected noise and an elevator or two to be in use. What I didn't expect were the strong paint and/or epoxy fumes filling the hallway and our room. There were two days it was so strong you could almost taste it. Not sure how healthy that was. The balcony door needed the weather stripping replaced and it would have eliminated most, if not all of the street noise. We were on the 15th floor on the very end city view room #1506 and the street noise was very loud. It even drowned out the TV sometimes. Hopefully the balcony doors are on the to-do list. The TV took some figuring out to get to the free TV everytime you turned it on, but we figured it out. Wouldn't want to turn kids loose with that remote unless your name is Rockefeller. Otherwise, the room was perfect. AC worked great, the shower massage was great. Lots of space for our things. Iron and ironing board, hair dryer, coffee maker and coffee/tea. We had 2 doubles and the beds were very comfortable with lots of pillows. We had breakfast one morning at the Hula Grill and it was very good. Nice to spend breakfast by sea with an ocean view. We hope to be able to stay here after the rennovations are complete but something tells me the price is about to skyrocket.

Room Tip: Get above 14th floor
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank eyelive2travel
Aloha Eyelive2travel from the Midwest,

Mahalo (thank you) for yoru comments. We were pleased to see you enjoyed your stay. We do hope to welcome you back soon to enjoy the completed renovations, and in allowing us to bring that magic back.

Warm Island Regards from all of us

Nottingham, England
Reviewed 1 June 2012

We stayed here for 10 nights in 2007 and I have great memories of the hotel and location.

Large, clean and spatious rooms with superb views of the beach and sea. Great view of the sunsets.

Dukes restuarant is excellent, with a superb breakfast buffet on offer.

We have stayed here and also the outrigger in Fiji. Found the chain to have very high standards of service.

We hope to return one day.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Paul_Toms
Aloha Paul and family from Nottingham England,

Thank you for your positive comments about our hotel and of our amazing resort in Fiji. Our General Manager lived in Fiji for several years and opened the resort you stayed at. You are always welcome to come back to visit us. We would be honored to have you experience our upgraded hotel.

From all of us at
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 1 June 2012

I booked Outrigger on the Beach for my 30th birthday as a present to myself during the 2nd wk of May 2012. There was a Renovation Special (pool and driveway apparently) so I took advantage of the discounted room rates.

It doesn't have massive street frontage so I was abit worried where it was but once you're in, boy is it nice! Love the dated carpet!

The cons I'll mention are all related to the renovations carried out during my stay which I was well aware of.
The pool outside was completely out of action but Waikiki Beach is literally at the back doorstep.
As with many other hotels around the globe, acoustics are not great. You can hear people chatting in corridors at wee hrs and I was once napping after a massive shop and got woken by drilling right above my head....again no insulation doesn't help. I was not aware of room renovations but I was foolish to be napping during the day...

Pro's that totally outweigh the cons:
- If direct access to the beach is a MUST for you, Outrigger on the Beach is the place. I believe there are only 3 maybe 4 on Waikiki that have direct access. (The others are across the road)
- If you can't be bothered with finding a new breakfast place every morning, DEFINITELY get buffet breakfast included cos it'll be a Dukes and I went to town on the variety!!!
- I was on Level 6 with seaview on the Diamond Head side and it was amazing even though I was out on the lanai for a few mins morning/night.
- Loved the walk-in wardrobe in the bathroom
- Loved the pineapple patterned couch
- Rooms are massive
- Loved the make-up mirror
- The room keys/cards actually work
- Location is quality
- Dukes is at the base
- Dukes waiters will serve u drinks if you're on Outrigger outdoor area
- There's a shop at the base where the coin laundrette's are and that place sells every snack u can think of at good prices! eg real fruit smoothies.
- Cheesecake Factory is literally a few seconds away

I saw a whole heap of bed mattresses being replaced so it's going to be excellent no doubt!
I very much look forward to going back to see the improvements.

Room Tip: I can't push the Seaview rooms enough. Even if you're going to be out all day, it's just...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank Nat K
Aloha and G'day Nat from Melbourne Australia,

Thank you for your business and in providing excellent and experienced feedback about your recent stay. You seemed to have covered it all with your feedback. One enhancement i'd like to let you know about with our current upgrade project is the sound proffing of all 524 guest rooms. What a difference. In addition, we are installing heavier front doors that absorb noise.
We hope to welcome you back again soon to experience these upgrades.

Until then, thank you from all of us -

Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 1 June 2012

This is our absolute favorite place to stay on Oahu! You must also not miss out on the everyday morning brunch at Duke's. Chef cooking made to order food, very friendly and the spread is well worth it. Great location with the International Marketplace across the street and nighlty entertainment all over the sidewalks right here close by. The beach is spectacular, even take surfing lessons or jump on a Catamaran for a ride! The staff is very friendly and helpful. You won't be disappointed staying here. Also, when booking your room, go for the 3rd night free and the 2 free breakfast buffets at Duke's!, its the best deal if your staying longer than a week. With the food costs a little high, eat your buffet as late as you can, grab a light snack or just grab an earlier dinner, save your $$ that way too!! Aloha!! :)

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank jc61Indy
Aloha jc61Indy from Indiana,

By the looks of your positive comments, i'd say you and your family took advantage of the many activities available at the hotel. We would agree with you also in that Duke's offers a great breakfast; as does their sister restaurant in our upper lobby; Hula Grill. Please let us know when you come back to visit. Again, mahalo for your business.

On beahalf of all of us at -

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 31 May 2012

My wife and I stayed here for the first part of our Vacation. Upon check-in, I asked if anything else was available for room upgrades and they gave me some ridiculous options ($700+ more per night) that really didn't make all that much sense. The rooms were average at best. Even on the 8th floor, the noise from the pool was very loud. I asked if we could be moved to a different room, even paying for a partial ocean view and they put us in a great room, but with no view. When I say no view, I mean I look out the window and see the backside of a condo complex that was no less than 30 feet away from my balcony. The hotel is older and is due for an update. The bar is great and has some excellent hh specials. We spent the majority of the time wandering up and down the beach, pretty much staying clear of the Outrigger. Try the stand-up paddle boards on the beach. Walk out onto the beach and go right. You cannot go wrong.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Audifanatic
Aloha Audifanatic from Seattle,

Thank you for providing your comments. I'm sorry that the hotel was full during your stay and offered little choice of moving rooms from what you had reserved. The room you were in does face the historic Moana Hotel. Speaking of updates, we are in the midst of a $18.1 million dollar upgrade project. We hope to welcome you back in the not too distant future.

Warm Island Regards from all of us,

Outrigger Wiakiki on the Beach
Muskegon, Michigan
Reviewed 31 May 2012

my wife and I travel to Hawaii to get married. the hotel was great the view was beautiful and there wa so much to do. we could fit everything into 7 days, so next time we will be staying longer and closing this hotel again. The staff was friendly and anything we need they were on it.

Room Tip: make sure to bring a lot of tip money. the prices are pretty reasonable and the locals live off tips...
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BIGGROBB
Aloha Biggrobb from Michigan,

Congratulations to you and your Bride on your marriage in the Islands. We are very pleased to have been able to be a part of it. Make sure to let us know on your return visit that you ahve stayed with us before. All the best and thank you again.

Warm Island Regards from all of us at