“Fantastic Honeymoon”

Ranked #15 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Sydney, Australia
“Fantastic Honeymoon”
Reviewed 19 February 2009

We were here for our honeymoon in august and we had a fantastic time! what a beautiful hotel - we had an ocean front room and the view was to die for. our Lanai was fantastic and we could listen to the band on friday and saturday night while eating our meal in our room. Just beautiful. Highly recommended hotel! We loved it so much that we extended our trip and went back to the hotel after the vegas leg of our honeymoon.

convenient location for shopping and it has a tour desk right in the lobby! the lady there was very helpful! we booked everything through her. Make sure you eat at Dukes at least once! its an institution!

Absolutely beautiful will be coming back for sure.

• Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank FunkyIngy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,386)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Slovak first
Irvine, California
Reviewed 17 February 2009

My travel agent recommended this place our first time. This was my 3rd time here, I've happened to stay here each and every single time on Oahu. I really wanted to try somewhere different for some contrast, but ended got pricelined into this one again.

Really, I had no complaints!

Though I do not have anywhere to compare this to, I can't see why you wouldn't want to stay anywhere else. The hotel's situated in an excellent location. Across the street from the International Marketplace, next do a lot of shopping and fine restaurants. Even better, this is the only hotel that I know of that's < $170 where you can walk onto the sand from the front lobby.

The room itself is gorgeous: a subtle Hawaiian decor that's not over the top/garish. The amenities were amazing, almost like something you'd find for sale. Thankfully, the A/C unit's user-friendly too.

And Duke's! Yes, though we endured an hour and forty minute wait, we come here each and every single time. We've had great service, and the food's to die for! I always order the grilled choice of fish (often the opah cooked macadamian nut style) w/ salad buffet. And during the day, I loved making regular strolls from the beach and to the bar for Blue Hawaiians (on the rocks), lava flows, and more.

As for any minuses, ummm, a very small tub, makes more of a shower. Like many of the other resorts in Waikiki, mandatory valet parking's a painful $25/night. Certain times of the year, location could be a minus for special events (prior Pro Bowls, Spam festival around May) where the entire street gets blocked off. Also, though the internet's free, it's very slow.

But the benefits easily outweigh the risks. In conclusion, we enjoyed our stay again and will return in hurry!

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank EileenKM
California
Reviewed 14 February 2009

I stayed here for the New Years holiday. This was my second trip in 2 months. I previously stayed at the Hyatt on Maui. As I compared my initial welcoming with the Hyatt when checking in, there was no comparison with the friendliness. The Hyatt was very inviting where as the Outrigger, I felt, I was just another person. The Hyatt was very upbeat and they said that the economy was down, they knew we had a choice and upgraded me to the next level without any prompting from myself. On the other hand, when I was checking into the Outrigger Waikiki On the Beach, they seemed just to be working another job. She started the check-in process and since she didn't engage in much conversation, I asked if they upgraded? With a quick response, she stated that they didn't upgrade. The only request I did have was if I could have a room that I would at least see the fireworks from. With the economy the way it is, one would think that they would upgrade for a happier stay and for one to remember and return. I have another trip planned in March 2009 in Oahu and Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach will not be one of my choices.

When I got to my room, it was on the 3rd floor and did have a partial ocean view, which I paid for initially. The room was clean upon arriving, but the cleaning service did completely clean the room each day nor provided the proper towels or condiments normally given to the room.

This is a good location and centrally located. But with the way I was initially greeted, I will not refer to friends to stay at. I would prefer staying at the Westin next door after checking it out.

• Liked — Center of Town
  • Disliked — Front Desk
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled solo
4 Thank Bummfuzzled
Pearland, Texas
Reviewed 14 February 2009

The greatest advantage of this hotel over the Marriott HHV is that it is closer to the beach. At HHV, depending on which tower you are located, it will be quite a walk to the beach. The International Market Place is across the street plus there are a lot of shops and restaurants along Kalakau avenue. Valet parking is $25/day plus tip. The hotel is fairly expensive, but the rooms do not look as plush as regular 4 star hotels outside of Oahu. The service was excellent though - staff were extremely friendly, valet service was very efficient. You will have to pay to use the business center. Duke's restaurant, which is located in hotel property by the beach, provides an excellent view of the beach and the diamond head crater. The food is great and decently priced.
Look into Moana Surfrider, the hotel looks more recent and it is oftentimes priced the same as this one. It is beside the outrigger and looks nicely lit and elegant at night. I do not think that there are nicer hotels than the three I mentioned in this review.
Visit the following: Hanauma Bay for snorkeling early during the day; the Polynesian Cultural Center, on your way here you can pass by Haleiwa - eat at Giovanni's shrimp and have shaved ice at Matsumoto, pass by the turtle beach and pupukea beach which is gorgeous. If you hate waves, do not attempt to kayak in Lanikai. If you go, hold on to your belongings! Visit the blowhole, sandy beach and the diamond head crater one day. Do not miss Pali Lookout and the Punchbowl Cemetery. Grab a map, so you can strategically plan your visits.

• Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank travelfreak2
Newcastle Australia
Reviewed 13 February 2009

My mother, sister & I stayed here from the 9 January 09 for 15 nights.

Right from the moment we arrived at the Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach we were treated like royalty. The staff were very friendly and informative. The valet, Skip, greeted us and took our very light luggage. By the time we had checked in our bags were delivered to our room. We opted to upgrade to an Oceanfront room due to the length of our stay - we were so glad we did. Our room was very comfortable with two double beds and a sofa bed. All were extremely comfortable. We could hear the sound of the waves all night and the view from the lanai was just like a postcard. The houskeeping staff were thorough and our room was very clean every day. The turndown service was also a treat - especially the freshly baked biscuits every night. We requested extra amenities in our room and the were replenished daily during our whole stay. As for the noise problem - we did not seem to have one. I heard a baby cry once during the night - but I think due to having little children at home it was the maternal aspect that woke me more than anything.

We ate several meals at the Hula Grill (at first because we could never get into Dukes - but afterwards because the atmosphere was fun and Tanny our waitress knew exactly what to get us and the cocktails were fabulous - try the tropical itch). We had breakfast at Dukes - the buffet was fresh and very yummy - especially the made-to-order omlettes.

I only swam in the pool once - but found it to be a good size and very deep. The towel person was friendly and willing to help. We did spend quite a few hours in the Jacuzzi. The only thing is that it closed so early on weekends. We spent more time on Waikiki Beach.

The location is great - the International Markets are literally across the road and so is one of the famed ABC shops. (We were told it stands for Always Bring Cash - very true!!!). The night time atmosphere of the street is exciting with different activities, stalls and entertainment every night. The hotel is not far from the trolley's to the Ala Moana Centre as well. Waikiki Beach is on the other side.

Having Hawaiian Airlines in the lobby was great too. Although we could not check-in due to returning to Sydney - the HA staff were very friendly and helpful - as we had done a lot of shopping. When we checked out we had two 70lbs suitcases each (we had to go and buy extra suitcases from the International Markets).

The only negative thing I could say about this hotel was that I could not stay longer.

Well done to all the staff. I would definately stay here again and again........

• Liked — It location, cleanliness and fantastic staff
  • Disliked — Nothing at all
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled with family
3 Thank charleegal
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 7 February 2009

We arrived on the 20th Dec and stayed 8 days .

The check-in experience was not what I expected - even before we reached the check-in counter , we were ponited to go to a corner desk where no one was present , rather rudely to be honest. And it wasn't even part of the check-in counter where 3 of the staff were on duty and it wasn't even busy.

The room was adequate but the bathroom was a bit dimly lit especially the shower .

Unfortunately we were given a room on the 11th fl. , partial ocean view right next to the pink Royal Hawaiin Hotel which was undergoing major renovations. Wish I checked that out before I booked.

The constant humming of the huge roof-top ac fans in the shopping center next door were annoying during the first several days but we soon got use to it as long as we didn't venture out onto the lanai.

The pool was rather small - the only place where you can find a chair without having to pay. We were told that we'd have to call ahead to set up a chair on the beach for our use ,-of course there would be a "charge" for that.

We didn't get a chance to try out the 2 restaurants which some people apparently raved about but the Cheescake Factory was just next door and the food was just great.

The hotel is right in the heart of Waikiki , very convenient just to walk out to all the shops .see the sidewalk entertainers and the beach is right there. It's also a short walk to the Zoo.

The staff were friendly (except for our check-in day) and internet was free . The rooms were clean and comfortable.

This was our 4th trip to Hawaii . Have to admit for the price we paid , I was a tad disappointed. Although it's centrally located ,in hindsight , I'd have preffered a more out-of-the -way location and most likely would have paid way less.

But I did spend some quality time with my family!

Cheers to all.

• Liked — clean room and friendly cleaning staff
  • Disliked — Noisy if you're given a room on the wrong side of the building
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
4 Thank bluelagoon09
Sioux Falls, SD
Reviewed 4 February 2009

My sister and I stayed at this hotel in October 2008 for a self guided "beach tour". I had been to Honolulu 6 years prior and stayed at a "budget" hotel off the beach. Everything here was fantastic! Check-in was a breeze. Our bags were delivered promptly to our room and the service was fast and extremely friendly. The rooms are somewhat small but we found ours to be clean and well air-conditioned. The lighting in the bathroom is dim but there is a side vanity mirror and light to remedy the problem. The bath and shower are small and dark but the water pressure was adequate and there is a laundry line to hang swimwear and towels. We had some trouble working the safe right after check-in but called the desk and it was fixed within the hour. We stayed in a room overlooking the Cheesecake Factory on the 16th floor. Despite reviews of this being a noisy location, it was never a problem. No problem with sleeping and our City View room had views of the beach also.
I can't say enough about the staff! The service is fantastic and friendly. Our rooms were well cleaned and the valet was very quick to retrieve our car. The $25 dollar per day valet parking seems expensive, but with the fast service it is worth it. We also booked our activities through the Outrigger activity desk and were not disappointed.
We had breakfast at Duke's - a must do - with an oceanfront view. We also spent almost every evening relaxing at the Hula Grill after trekking all over the island during the day. It is quieter than Duke's in the evening and the servers and staff were extremely friendly. We even had the band play a song for us the first night we arrived.
I was so happy with our stay that I am taking my parents February 9th for a week and staying at the Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach again!

• Liked — Convenience and location. It is close to everything.
  • Disliked — It is very, very busy! If you are going for romance I would go elsewhere. Great for girlfriends trip or family vacation.
  • Stayed October 2008