“Exceptional Staff”

Ranked #15 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Pismo Beach, California
“Exceptional Staff”
Reviewed 1 March 2009

I would just like to comment on the friendliness & helpfullness of the staff. I would definately recommend this hotel to anyone vacationing in Honolulu. The Hotel's Guest Services Rep that I dealt with during my visit was Alex. Alex was exceptional & I felt he went above & beyond to make my stay a memorable one. Next time I am visiting Oahu, I will most definately stay at Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank Lauriel1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,364)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Slovak first
Claremont, NC
Reviewed 24 February 2009

I loved this location, when I was there i attended a lei making class that the hotel offered to guest it was so much fun I wish my children had been there for that, The rooms were very nice and confortable we really enjoyed the view of the ocean form our lanai. If you are thinking of going to hawaii this is a great hotel, they have 3 of the best resturants and a few store's. I really liked Duke's Canoe Club they had great food and the room service was awesome.

• Stayed January 2007, travelled as a couple
3 Thank tia8383
Santa Monica, California
Reviewed 22 February 2009

Desk clerk was a jerk. First off he tells me they are full, and then in the next sentence put tremendous pressure on me to buy a $75.00 room upgrade. I have never experienced such a classless check-in process. He was a complete jerk. When I pointed out the difference between full and not full, he got defensive and asked me if I was calling him a liar. I have no use for predatory desk clerks. After the confrontation he put us in what was likely the worst room in the house. It was tiny, triangle shape, facing a concrete courtyard on the main level. Bathroom was so small if we were larger, we would not be able to get past the door. It was noisy due to sound bouncing off the concrete walls….a complete disaster. After a 5 hour flight, I just wanted to sleep. Normally I’d do battle.
I called the hotel’s “Activities Desk” the night before to arrange a shuttle bus to pick us up at the airport. But after waiting for 45 minutes we left and got a cab. Their greeter that was at the airport kept telling us they were five minutes away, but it was just a lie to keep us waiting. I complained to the hotel but conveniently they told me it’s an independent vendor and couldn’t help me. But when I originally called the hotel, they told me their shuttle service would pick me up……so who will take responsibility for it? My credit card vendor will help me with it, but it’s a bad show to be charged for a service they didn’t provide!!!!!
My recessionary tip is to call “Mahalo Shuttle” 808-922-4900 for pick-up or a ride to any place in Honolulu. They only charge $10.00 for pick-up from the airport to any hotel. Also it’s $10.00 roundtrip for Pearl Harbor. She’s nice and you can depend on her.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank RecessionaryMary
beentheredonethat61, manager at Outrigger Waikiki Beach Resort, responded to this review, 17 March 2009
At the Outrigger Waikiki we pride ourselves on attention to detail and unsurpassed guest service. We are concerned about the way you were treated at check-in and have taken measures to ensure the team understands our standard of hospitality. Every guest is important to us and we are disappointed that we did not have the opportunity to improve your experience while you were here.

Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach
Management Team
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 19 February 2009

We were here for our honeymoon in august and we had a fantastic time! what a beautiful hotel - we had an ocean front room and the view was to die for. our Lanai was fantastic and we could listen to the band on friday and saturday night while eating our meal in our room. Just beautiful. Highly recommended hotel! We loved it so much that we extended our trip and went back to the hotel after the vegas leg of our honeymoon.

convenient location for shopping and it has a tour desk right in the lobby! the lady there was very helpful! we booked everything through her. Make sure you eat at Dukes at least once! its an institution!

Absolutely beautiful will be coming back for sure.

• Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank FunkyIngy
Irvine, California
Reviewed 17 February 2009

My travel agent recommended this place our first time. This was my 3rd time here, I've happened to stay here each and every single time on Oahu. I really wanted to try somewhere different for some contrast, but ended got pricelined into this one again.

Really, I had no complaints!

Though I do not have anywhere to compare this to, I can't see why you wouldn't want to stay anywhere else. The hotel's situated in an excellent location. Across the street from the International Marketplace, next do a lot of shopping and fine restaurants. Even better, this is the only hotel that I know of that's < $170 where you can walk onto the sand from the front lobby.

The room itself is gorgeous: a subtle Hawaiian decor that's not over the top/garish. The amenities were amazing, almost like something you'd find for sale. Thankfully, the A/C unit's user-friendly too.

And Duke's! Yes, though we endured an hour and forty minute wait, we come here each and every single time. We've had great service, and the food's to die for! I always order the grilled choice of fish (often the opah cooked macadamian nut style) w/ salad buffet. And during the day, I loved making regular strolls from the beach and to the bar for Blue Hawaiians (on the rocks), lava flows, and more.

As for any minuses, ummm, a very small tub, makes more of a shower. Like many of the other resorts in Waikiki, mandatory valet parking's a painful $25/night. Certain times of the year, location could be a minus for special events (prior Pro Bowls, Spam festival around May) where the entire street gets blocked off. Also, though the internet's free, it's very slow.

But the benefits easily outweigh the risks. In conclusion, we enjoyed our stay again and will return in hurry!

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank EileenKM
California
Reviewed 14 February 2009

I stayed here for the New Years holiday. This was my second trip in 2 months. I previously stayed at the Hyatt on Maui. As I compared my initial welcoming with the Hyatt when checking in, there was no comparison with the friendliness. The Hyatt was very inviting where as the Outrigger, I felt, I was just another person. The Hyatt was very upbeat and they said that the economy was down, they knew we had a choice and upgraded me to the next level without any prompting from myself. On the other hand, when I was checking into the Outrigger Waikiki On the Beach, they seemed just to be working another job. She started the check-in process and since she didn't engage in much conversation, I asked if they upgraded? With a quick response, she stated that they didn't upgrade. The only request I did have was if I could have a room that I would at least see the fireworks from. With the economy the way it is, one would think that they would upgrade for a happier stay and for one to remember and return. I have another trip planned in March 2009 in Oahu and Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach will not be one of my choices.

When I got to my room, it was on the 3rd floor and did have a partial ocean view, which I paid for initially. The room was clean upon arriving, but the cleaning service did completely clean the room each day nor provided the proper towels or condiments normally given to the room.

This is a good location and centrally located. But with the way I was initially greeted, I will not refer to friends to stay at. I would prefer staying at the Westin next door after checking it out.

• Liked — Center of Town
  • Disliked — Front Desk
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank Bummfuzzled
Pearland, Texas
Reviewed 14 February 2009

The greatest advantage of this hotel over the Marriott HHV is that it is closer to the beach. At HHV, depending on which tower you are located, it will be quite a walk to the beach. The International Market Place is across the street plus there are a lot of shops and restaurants along Kalakau avenue. Valet parking is $25/day plus tip. The hotel is fairly expensive, but the rooms do not look as plush as regular 4 star hotels outside of Oahu. The service was excellent though - staff were extremely friendly, valet service was very efficient. You will have to pay to use the business center. Duke's restaurant, which is located in hotel property by the beach, provides an excellent view of the beach and the diamond head crater. The food is great and decently priced.
Look into Moana Surfrider, the hotel looks more recent and it is oftentimes priced the same as this one. It is beside the outrigger and looks nicely lit and elegant at night. I do not think that there are nicer hotels than the three I mentioned in this review.
Visit the following: Hanauma Bay for snorkeling early during the day; the Polynesian Cultural Center, on your way here you can pass by Haleiwa - eat at Giovanni's shrimp and have shaved ice at Matsumoto, pass by the turtle beach and pupukea beach which is gorgeous. If you hate waves, do not attempt to kayak in Lanikai. If you go, hold on to your belongings! Visit the blowhole, sandy beach and the diamond head crater one day. Do not miss Pali Lookout and the Punchbowl Cemetery. Grab a map, so you can strategically plan your visits.

• Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple