“Fantastic”
Review of Hale Koa Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Honolulu
Hale Koa Hotel
Reviewed 13 June 2011

I traveled with my husband, daughter 22, son 18, and my sister and her family (kids ages 6 & 15). We had a blast! Bibbas was great. Ate there twice. The magic show was the best! We saw David Copperfield before and this was better! Luau was fun. Comedy show was ok. But couldn't beat the price. Koko cafe was not the best experience. Service was horrible as never even got my meal. All and all, wonderful experience and would stay there again!

Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank JShovel
Write a ReviewReviews (2,020)

Reviewed 8 June 2011

We stayed at the Hale Koa in September 2010. My favorite thing would have to have been the large tree in the center of the grounds. The rooms are typical hotel rooms and nothing more. However, to experience a place with other military families was so wonderful. The luau was one of the best ever, the pork was extrememly salty. Overall a nice visit and may return again.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
4  Thank Hawkins30102
Reviewed 15 May 2011

Stayed here for 4 nights in May. The location is amazing, at the end of the strip in Waikiki. The price makes it a steal. You dont get luxury, but thats not what the Hale Koa is about. For the hundreds of dollars that you will save you can do it u however you want. We will definitely stay here again next time we go to Oahu. Only down side is that you will in all likelyhood get 2 double beds, as this place is targeted for families. We wanted a King, but they didnt have any available.

Room Tip: Book your room EARLY, like a year early.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank jayll135
Reviewed 10 May 2011

We were lucky enough to have been invited to this wonderful resort by family coulodn't have asked for a better hotel the oceanview room on 9th floor was very comfortable staff were all very helpful with the exception of a few wait staff Bibas is the place to eat never dissappointed in the food great 10 dollar menu also. The grounds of this hotel are parklike and very safe comfortable atmosphere will definitely stay here again if i am so lucky.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank Auntie58
Reviewed 2 May 2011

The rooms are clean and nicely appointed. Mine could have been more modern but I don't get into designer furniture anyway. The room was cleaned every day. I think they know when you leave and clean your room as soon as you do. The beds are comfortable but not heavenly. Only bad part about room was the fridge in the room only keeps things cool and you will have to ice can drinks down to make them cold. I bought a cooler eventually. The elevators are fast and efficient. Unsual for a hotel this size. Balcony is average size. I had a partial-ocean view and enjoyed being able to look at the water and back the other way at Waikiki. I was on the 7th floor and could see over the palms to the ocean. The city itself is very pretty at night. You can see and hear the Hilton's weekly fireworks show from the hotel but for a closer view walk down to the beach towards the Hilton. You can even stand right under them if you want. The grounds are lovely but the hotel is set off the beach so a 300 yard walk is required. Never saw a piece of trash anywhere, inside or outside. Both pools are on the way. The hotel is surrounded by shaded and grassy parks on both sides. Volleyball courts in one of the parks. You can rent anything on the beach-jet skis, kayaks, etc. The Hilton is a short walk, with several restaurants avalable. One of them had a great happy hour from 2-6pm every day with $2 draft and $5 appetizers with a view of the water. The beach in front of the hotel is wide for Waikiki and not as crowded. Beach between the Hilton and Hale Koa has pleny of room to throw the football, frisbee etc.
I spent 16 nights at the Hale Koa and ate from the room service menu every day. Especially dinner and breakfst. Compared to other Waikik hotels and restaurants, the Hale Koa's food is above average and reasonably priced. Room service was always very fast. At first, I would eat 3 different meals at 3 different places every day but towards the end I would always eat breakfast and another meal at the hotel. The p/x on the ground floor is great and just steps from the elevator. They have all the little things you might need plus food, cigs, liquor and some really good quality clothes at the lowest prices you will find in Hawaii. $7 for a t-shirt similar to one I bought the day before at another store for $50.
The barefoot bar is nice, closes early and the bartenders could move faster. Enjoyed it some during the day but mostly hung out at other bars on the beach. You can literally walk from bar to bar down the beach. I think I did that most nights and always ended up stopping somewhere and hanging out for the rest of the night.
What makes the hotel great is the people who work there. From the professionalism of the assistant manager, the front desk staff, the cashiers at the p/x, and the housekeeper-I was really impressed and have stayed at 5 star/diamond resorts before who can't beat this crew for hospitality. They will go out of their way to make your stay a pleasant one. My flight arrived at 6am and they let me check in at 7am for a reservation I had at 3pm that day. I locked myself out 3 times, a quick phone call from the phone in the hall, 5 minutes later they let me in. If I had any questions about anything, I called the front desk who would give me an intelligent and upbeat explanation every time. Can't say enough about the service here-hopefully you will not need any but they are responive if you do. Decided to stay an extra night right 2 hours before check-out on a busy Saturday and they were helpful with putting me on the waiting list (they were booked) and providing me with info on other lodging options. They eventually let me stay in the same room.
For a beachfront property in Waikiki, the location is great, the staff is wonderful. It never seems crowded even when booked solid. You can walk everywhere in Waikiki or take a short cab ride. I will stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo
8  Thank JBSimports
Reviewed 1 May 2011

The hotel is VERY nice! Beautiful, with shopping and restaurants in it! Fountains, Exotic birds, gorgeous trees, and the winding path to the beach completed it. Food was great. Service was excellent. It was worth every penny! Many attractions are VERY cloes to it as well. Great surfing schools just down from the hotel.

Room Tip: Get a room that faces the inner outside:) Gorgeous
  • Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business
4  Thank troitova45
Reviewed 30 April 2011

Husband and I stayed for nine nights. Reserved oceanview room and got lucky and was given a deluxe oceanfront room with king bed in the ilama tower on the 6th floor. How wonderful to wake up every morning and see the ocean right from my bed! Room was a good size and had everything we needed, except for a safe. Housekeeping was wonderful and staff at hotel was very accommodating. Enjoyed eating at Bibas and loved the breakfast buffet at Koko's. Walked on the beachfront to the other hotels and was amazed how much more beach there was at the Hale Koa than the rest of the hotels on Waikiki Beach.Nice and relaxing having an adult only pool. Loved staying here and can't wait to come back!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple