“We loved it here!”
Review of Hale Koa Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Honolulu
Hale Koa Hotel
Reviewed 17 June 2014

This was my first time in Hawaii with my husband and family. We loved our stay at the Hale Koa. Everybody was so friendly and helpful. We loved the restaurant in the hotel koko cafe, we ate there a lot since they had a breakfast buffet it was easier for us just to eat there in the morning. Staff was great! The pool was great..we enjoyed the barefoot bar. Lava flow drinks...my favorite They also had a food place right there which was nice if you got hungry at the pool. Loved our balcony porch enjoyed looking down and seeing all the beautiful scenery. The one night we went to the Luau show which was awesome, I totally recommend you do this while you stay there. We loved it . Hale Koa was just all around a great experience! Thank you so much!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
7  Thank Bankerchic1526
There are newer reviews for Hale Koa Hotel

Reviewed 17 June 2014

Hale Koa hotel is located on beautiful grounds, right off the beach. Checking in took over 20 min as the desk was scarcely staffed, which was frustrating after a long flight to Hawaii. It wasn't a stellar first impression, but the remainder of the trip was much improved. The hotel was nice and clean and looked exactly like any Holiday Inn hotel room we have ever stayed. The balcony was amazing for morning coffee and evening drinks. The staff was friendly and helpful. The pool was clean and well kept, stocked with fresh towels and the barefoot bar was steps away. Although they do have the Bibbas (?) restaurant at the hotel, it was over priced for our cheeseburger, medium pizza and 2 kids meal order that cost us $60. The better food with much better prices was found at the Barefoot snack bar where a large pizza and delicious BBQ pork ribs bowl ran us less than $25 for dinner. Getting coffee and tea in the shopette under the Iliama tower saved $ over the Java booth too. If you take a walk to Ala Moana (?) Street there is a buffet, an all night coffee shop, an outback.... The Hard Rock Café is within walking distance of the Hale Koa too. I can't speak to the prices as we bought groceries at the commissary for meals mostly. There is a small refrig in room but the microwave is in the laundry/ice area. Also, we rode around to Hickam, Walmart and Target to buy a beach umbrella, towels, sand mats, body boards to find out that they actually had them at the hotel and they cost a dollar or so less at the Hale Koa exchange/shoppette store. The vendors that frequent the hotel lobby on Friday and Mondays have a good variety to offer, but if you can hold out to go to the Aloha Stadium (Swap Meet) on Sat or Sunday instead, you will find super deals there too. The Hale Koa Luau was very nice. The entertainment was super and the luau dancers were awesome. My kids even got to hula on stage! Just down the beach from the Hale Koa is the Beach Boys Hale (by yellow umbrellas) and they offer surf lessons ($90 for a private lesson,$5 less with ID as they should give military discount). My kids LOVED their 90 mins of surfing. Jill and Serg had my 6 year old and 11 year old surfing in 20 minutes and I couldn't have been more pleased with the way they handled the kids or the lessons! Just don't get discouraged by the cranky/ rude young guy behind the register at the booth because it IS worth working around him to get to your lesson with Jill or Serg, I promise. If you do a dolphin excursion, for the money, try Sea LIfe Park. With tickets for the dolphins swim ( ITT for $90) you get admission into the park too for the day but DON'T think you need to spend all day there. The entire park took us about an hour to an hour and a half to explore (that was with 2 shows also) and then we had to sit for 2 hours to get to the dolphin swim we booked at 3:45. The noon dolphin show was worth seeing though. So, book and earlier swim with sharks, stingrays, dolphins and then stroll around the park... or only allow 3 hours total for everything. Finally, IF you get to the North Shore....We had the best snorkeling right off the side of the road east of Giovanni's shrimp truck about 12 miles (which was a delicious shrimp scampi plate for $13 and well worth the drive). Huanauma Bay snorkeling was nice enough. The North Shore was BETTER (clearer water, no traffic, no treck back the hill from the bay, very few people on the beach and it was FREE- even without an ID card). :)
Enjoy your time at Hale Koa. For the money, it is a really nice alternative to breaking your bank trying to stay elsewhere for the same or near same amenities. It is centrally located, a nice area to walk around or lay out, with lots to do in close proximity to the hotel, the grounds really are beautifully kept, the staff is friendly and the rooms are clean. Overall, I'd give it 1.5 thumbs up. :) If we ever get to venture back to Hawaii we will revisit the Hale Koa.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
13  Thank Merriman94
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Stayed here for a few days courtesy of my son-in-law, (US military), and after the first night with a change of room, it was very comfortable with no complaints. Even though the first room was on the 8th floor the air-con plant on the ground was very noisy. Reception staff were very obliging and switched us to a room on the other side of the building and it was much better. There is a laundry on every floor with washer and dryer, great with small children, and the adults only pool was a bonus. There is a good choice of restaurants, and the helpful staff even provided a birthday cake for my 10ys grandson's pool party. Enjoyed the magic show and the buffet had an excellent selection of food, rated the best by my 11 yrs granddaughter. They have traders in the lobby on Mon-Wed-Fri mornings, so you don't have to leave the building to buy your souvenirs and mementos of Hawaii. Lovely garden setting right on the beachside with cafes close by for snacks - would do it again in a heartbeat .....

Room Tip: Rooms on the inner side of the two buildings are further away from the a/c unit noise and you still...
2  Thank collvic
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I stayed at this resort for the first time from May 29 to Jun 5, 2014. I researched other hotels but none came close to the value offered by Hale Koa. I saved anywhere from 30-40% compared to other hotels in the area. The hotel is only 7 miles or approximately 20-30 minutes from the airport depending on traffic. It is very easy to get to from the aiport. Upon arrival, you must present your Military ID card to the MP at the entrance of the hotel. The parking for your vehicle is across the street in a garage parking. You must use your room key to get in an get out, so remember, when checking out to keep one room key to get out of the garage. The hotel staff was very corteuos and attentive. The room cleanliness was top notch. The rooms are a bit small, but we spent most of out time out in one of the two pools of the facility or at the beach. The resort has various options for eating. Koko's cafe was my favorite with a good selection of dishes including fresh fish and their prices where very reasonable for a resort. The Bilbas restaurant was a bit more pricier, but the food was very tasty. They offer various events through the year. I purchased tickets online for the luau event. It is very to buy the tickets on advance. The event includes a social, a show, and a meal. Highly recommend it. The other event that I attended was their Sunday brunch, again you must purchase tickets in advance. I purchase mine on line, but you can purchase them at the front desk also. The brunch was a great value, upon arrival you are received with a mimosa, then you will get your own table, and various stations buffet style for your enjoyment, including a carving station. In the mornings, I usually, get up early before everyone else, so I went to the Lobby and purchased a Pike Roast from the coffee shop whcih featured starbucks products. They also have a rental car office in the ground level, if you do not have a car and want to explore the island and next to that office is the ticketing office, where you can purchase tickets to other events such as snorkle, etc. Next to the Hale Koa, there is a Hilton which where you can also purchase tickets for their submarine ride, which takes you over 100 feet under water. I am glad I booked this hotel for my first trip to Hawaii and i will book it again.

Room Tip: Do not buy partial ocean view, I think that is not worth it. Either purchase Full ocean view or stan...
5  Thank Aborrero
Reviewed 17 June 2014

This is a beautiful resort open to all military, active and retired. Check their web site for rates and eligibility at www.halekoa.com. This is one benefit you don't want to miss. The resort has enough restraunts and bars to suit a variety of tastes and pocketbooks. The generous breakfast buffet at Koko's allowed me to skip a meal. Since it has a PX on the property, you can buy food for a larger family who might not want to dine out all the time. They have several activities to sign up for but my favorite was the free Friday night fireworks launched off of the cove at the Hilton next door. It is a real crowd pleaser. It starts about 7:45 pm in the summer. The beach is the cleanest and widest in all Wikiki. All beaches are free public access so you can walk the length of Waikiki on the ocean side. The parking garage is across the street so get your ID card out to get pass the guard to drop off your suitcases. The 7$ a day charge is very reasonable. Suitcases can be held at the front desk until the 3pm check in time.
It is a wonderful place to hang out in the now crowded Honolulu and still feel you are in your own bit of Hawaiian Paradise.

Room Tip: To splurge on an ocean view room on the top floors is magnificent. You want to see over the trees an...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Serra62
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Staff at hotel go out of their way to help you enjoy your stay. We went to every show they have (Magic show, Luau, and the adult comedian) and loved them all. You cannot dispute the value. We had an ocean front room and the view was exquisite! It would be hard to have a better view for the cost. No where in Hawaii is it cheap, but this hotel is a very reasonable value. The manager was wonderful and so helpful - talked with our daughter who is majoring in hospitality. Even gave her a tour. We could not have asked for more accommodating staff. Every one in our family says this was the BEST family vacation ever!!!

Room Tip: If you can snag an ocean front room on a higher level, you will not regret it. What a way to start t...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank SandraB001
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Our son-in-law put us up here for a couple of days as we made a very brief trip to Hawaii for our grand daughter's high school graduation. We had absolutely no complaints about our room or the hotel in general. Some of the furniture was somewhat worn and the chairs in the restaurant were in need of new upholstery, but overall the facility was in good shape and well maintained.

Wife and I walked the beach (which is not one of Oahu's better ones) and roamed the neighborhood. On our previous trips, we have always stayed with the family in their "woodie" at Schofield Barracks, so this was a different experience.

You bet we will return if we can.

2  Thank James F