“Military retreat”
Review of Hale Koa Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Honolulu
Hale Koa Hotel
Reviewed 7 July 2014

My husband is retired military and we decided to stay at the Hale Koa while vacationing in Honohulu. We were very happy with the hotel, especially it's location. If shopping is at the top of your list of things to do, then you are ideally situated near a large shopping area. The Hilton is right next door to the Hale Koa and we enjoyed watching their fireworks on Friday night. We walked around the Hilton many times enjoying their restaurants and shops. There are free local newspapers by their elevators. Inside the local paper is the USA today which was a pleasant surprise. There were a few things that the Hale Koa could improve on. There are no bottles of water in the rooms, and the shampoo that is provided is in a tiny bottle. There is also a welcome briefing held the first morning of your stay which includes a selection of pastries, coffee, and juices. You will be told of all the activities held at the hotel and offered 10% each tour or activity. This made me mad because I had already booked our activities in advance. Perhaps we received better seats, but who knows. The magic show and comedy show were both wonderful and I highly recommend both.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank Jennie J
Write a ReviewReviews (2,044)

Reviewed 5 July 2014

The Hale Koa is a great value. I feel like the staff at the front desk was a bit rude and we felt very rushed. Our reservation was messed up upon our arrival.The confusion continued through check out. When we left 5 days later, we had two separate bills and instead of apologizing we were told we shouldn't have checked in separately. Our room was a partial oceanfront view that looked at the parking garage and the construction across the way. What I could see of the ocean was beautiful. Prices at this hotel was MUCH better then some of the surrounding hotels we have stayed at. This location is very touristy and very busy but if you like to shop it is a short walking distance from all the stores. If you are trying to see some of the island then you need to rent a car or a scooter. The luau at the Hale Koa is well worth it, great night of fun. Also the pools close early which was a little disappointing. I would recommend staying here for the price but if your looking for a romantic getaway this isn't the place for you.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Shannon F
Reviewed 4 July 2014

The Hale Koa is on the best part of Waikiki beach and for military only. I never stayed at any of the military hotels until after retirement. Finding time and money for vacations was always a challenge. Perhaps, I'd had enough adventure too. However, we've become fairly frequent visitors. For a couple hundred bucks, you can have an ocean front unit with a view of Waikiki, the early morning surfers and the marine life surrounding Oahu. I thoroughly enjoyed a surfacing whale early one morning. It surface three or four times near a passing sailboat. Absolutely, beautiful.

We split our time when we go to Hawaii. This last May, we stayed in a B&B in Kailua before returning to Honolulu. On other trips, we stayed near Volcano National Park and Maui. I recommend variety if you are a frequent visitor to Hawaii. Staying at the Hale Koa is a bargain, but there is so much more to experience outside the city.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of Diamond Head. Get up early and watch the sunrise with a hot cup of coffee while si...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Everything was right at our finger tips. Beautiful snorkeling right on the beach, you can rent anything you would need. I rented a paddle board. It was my first time, and it is much easier than I had dreamed of. I would love to stay there again. There are so many great places to eat, and they are in walking distance.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Carrielove63
Reviewed 2 July 2014 via mobile

You will not find a better value or location in all of Honolulu. We stayed a week in May and discovered a true gem. The Sunday Brunch was excellent as was the daily breakfast buffet. We also attended the luau and found that to be great. The beach was great and spacious. Walking distance to down town. Definitely would return.

• Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed 1 July 2014

The first couple of days that I was staying here, I was not impressed. However, as time went on I began to appreciate it more and more. The location is great and the cost cannot be beat. However, those are really the only two positives. The other amenities are just so so. The room is fine. The best way to describe it is serviceable. The furniture and decor do not make you want to go home and redecorate your house, as some of the other hotels I have stayed in do. The restaurants are horrible, overpriced and the food is bland. We went to the entertainment venues that the hotel offers. I was disappointed in the luau and it's food, the magic show was just so so, but the comedy show was great. The pools are okay, but there ware much nicer pools just next door. As the days went on, I began to like our room more. You might not be excited about the room, but it is clean and comfortable.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Anne J
Reviewed 30 June 2014

The 2nd time I have stayed here, and, if you are eligible for stay, there cannot be a better place to stay on Oahu. Right in the heart of Waikiki, with the prettiest beach. Restaurants, shops, and exchange on premises. Short walk to Hawaiian Village or Ala Moana Mall. Parking, and if you have never been, you don't realize how precious this is. 3 pools with great poolside bar and food. Rooms have good space, and beds are comfortable. We had a handicap accessible one this time and it allowed my companion to get around comfortably, plus we had an ocean view!

Room Tip: This is a quiet hotel. We stayed in 707 (handicap) oceanside. It also is close to Hawaiian Village w...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family