“Uneven”

Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: Ala Moana - Kakaako
Cross street: Atkinson
Description: This popular off-shoot of local chef Alan Wong is a favorite place for a relaxing dinner, lunch or weekend get-together with friends, where you'll find Hawaii favorites prepared with the freshest island ingredients and flavors influenced by the local style we all grew up with.
Reviewed 17 April 2014

We arrived a few minutes before six p.m. at Alan Wong's Pineapple Room in the Ala Moana Macy's. The room was largely empty, but the staff was cordial and helpful. Our starters, the gyoza and sort of a poke napolean, were delicious--four stars. The entrees were a mixed bag. My Jidori Chicken came warm but not hot and the chicken was dry. In retrospect I should have sent it back. A friend in our party of 3 later commented that his loco moco was delicious but also only warm--and he regretted not sending his back. The salmon was good. Maybe barely three stars on two of the entrees. Desserts were again excellent, both the intense chocolate pudding and the strawberry tiramisu. Four stars again. My sense is that the wait staff was on top of things (harder than it seems in a slow house) while the kitchen was not quite up to snuff on the entrees. Still, at these prices and with all the choices in Honolulu, I would think twice about going back anytime soon.

1  Thank MrSteve316
There are newer reviews for The Pineapple Room by Alan Wong

Reviewed 12 April 2014 via mobile

Located in Macy's Ala Moana Alan Wong's Pineapple Room restaurant is a solid choice for taking your out-of-town guests, family or busineess associates for a memorable lunch or dinner. The menu brings the best of local island produce, meats and seafood to the table. Chef Alan Wong is a master at blending local, Asian and European flavors together.

Reviewed 7 April 2014

After all the buzzing from my Kona foodie friend re: Alan Wong, I promise myself to give his restaurant a go. I couldn't get a booking on Alan Wong so Cheap one I went. That's for lunch.

The waiter was very friendly and when I asked him what his favorite dish was he said the king salmon from NZ, but since I ate salmon everyday in Australia, I didnt give this a try. I then ordered Loco Moco as it was a tradition Hawaiian food I was told, the waiter gave me the look and told me that the dish is not his favorite. But I ordered anyway (a decision that I regret). Dish came and the burger was so dry it tasted like cardboard and the sauce was so salty I wouldn't dare eat it. I ate the fried eggs that came with it though.

So I passed my disappointment to the waiter and he said, I really wanted to tell you not to order the dish because it is really crap and you can ordered it from somewhere else, cheaper and very good.
Ok,,,, I said, what's your second favorite dish? He then recommended calamari with hawaiian salad. Righto... give me that.
But .. Pineapple Room.. you really should not failed me twice! Fried crumbed calamari was a joke, as I can still taste the flour so it was under cook. I didnt finish it and just told the waiter to pack up and expressed my disappointment.

The Hawaiian salad and the beer was fresh!! I was looking around, and I saw satisfaction from other patrons, so I might not be ordering the right food? Or maybe Pineapple room needs to scrap those 2 dishes from its menu! How about that?

Yep! I ain't coming back!

1  Thank SCOOBIEDOODLE
Reviewed 24 February 2014 via mobile

OMG! If you want to taste some of the freshest farm raised need and mahi mahi- please go to the pineapple room! It was absolutely awesome. I enjoyed the mahi mahi fish sandwich and the pineapple burger with onion rings on top(we split our meals) the serving sizes were huge and the flavor a were beyond spectacular.

1  Thank MrsGway2
Reviewed 12 February 2014

We made dinner reservations for a birthday event with our family. Our dinner menu was personalized with a happy birthday message with all of the employees signatures signed on the personalized menu page. Very nice touch. The staff was very courteous and the atmosphere was very nice. Two of us ordered the misoyaki butterfish. Although it was very tasty, the miso taste was a bit too strong. Perhaps the next time I will try another dish. The service was a bit slow, but perhaps it was because they were busy. I like the atmosphere at the Pineapple Room, thus I make reservations there every now and then. If your intention is to eat and run, it might not be an ideal place for you. However, if you have a lot of time and like to sit and chat while waiting for your dishes, this would be a great place to break bread. Since we were celebrating a birthday, they presented the birthday celebrant with a complimentary dessert with "happy birthday" greetings on the plate. A very endearing touch.