“Excellent service, no problems with equipment”

Hawaiian Style Rentals & Sales
Oahu Independent Bike Tour
Ranked #16 of 308 Outdoor Activities in Honolulu
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: We are Waikiki's premier moped, motor scooter, scoot coupe and bicycle rental specialists. Each of us is committed to delivering every customer an unforgettable experience on two or three wheels. While traveling by motor scooter or moped, riders can enjoy breathtaking views of our islands pristine coastline, explore engulfing waterfalls, and even climb to the peaks of craters. Here at Hawaiian Style Rentals and Sales, we teach all of our first timers how to operate and ride a moped, as well as making sure you start your adventure with all safety tips for the road and a map with our suggested routes. We are also Oahu's exclusive dealer for Genuine Scooter Company. Every new moped comes with a two year unlimited mileage warranty and roadside service. Mahalo!
Useful Information: Wheelchair access
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Excellent service, no problems with equipment”
Reviewed 17 November 2013

I had a free day in the middle of a business trip. Renting a moped to see the sights, sounded like a fun thing to do. The Marriott across the street recommended this business. It seems like there is a lot of competition for this kind of thing in Honolulu. I was not interested in saving $2 plus or minus, but wanted decent equipment.

After I handed the gentleman the card from the hotel concierge, he immediately began apologizing that he couldn't honor the $2 discount for the time period and moped I wanted--no worries.

A full day rental checks in at $30, which I thought was quite reasonable. Once I agreed, they launched into a pitch for optional coverage and how I was responsible for the full value of the moped if lost, stolen, wrecked, etc ($1700). I stopped him short and said, "no need to convince me, what's the total?" So, with complete abdication of responsibility and fuel, maps, helmet, etc, I was set back a grand total of $58. Still pretty good for a day of sightseeing and amusement I thought.

I rented the 'base' model as no more powerful ones were available. After a quick 'checkout' ride around the block I was cleared to go. On flat straightaways, you can crank this up to about 35-38 MPH with my 162 pound self aboard. Plenty fast for sightseeing and tooling around Diamondhead. I did get it up to almost 50 going downhill and feeling brave at the end of the day. It still felt stable--but that was too fast for me. I've *never* ridden a motorcycle of any kind before. I do ride a road bike and have had that up to almost 40 MPH going downhill---so if you can balance on a bike and are a little adventurous, the moped should be no problem.

Parking a moped in crowded Honolulu was easy--just chain it up to whatever post is available.

Helmets are not required by law, but I wore the one provided to protect my one asset--slightly above average intelligence. I shudder to think if I should have to get by on my looks or any other talent ! The helmet was nearly new and quite comfortable.

Driving in traffic was no problem, the recommended route Eastward along the coast was mostly an easy drive except for a short section along a six lane divided highway. No worries though, the traffic wasn't moving that fast and if you are timid you can ride the shoulder or the bike lane when available.

This was an afwul lot of fun for less than $60. Return was hassle free. They are located next to a hotel so if you want to return after hours the hotel will open the gate for you and you can park and drop the keys.

Overall---Highly recommended. The mopeds all appeared to be fairly new and in good repair.

Fun way to spend an afternoon !

1 Thank rsalerni

Traverse City, Michigan
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“They've got great equipment!”
Reviewed 17 November 2013

I rented a 49cc moped and couldn't have asked for a better piece of equipment! I intended to go to the Valley of the Temples for a "quick trip" there and back, but accidentally drove right past it and ended up in La'ie. That was much farther than I had planned, but the moped made it there and back without issue. I even took Hwy 63 through the mountains to get back to Waikiki. The moped was able to sustain 40 mph through the mountains (speed limit is 45) and I even got up to 50mph going downhill. Overall it was a great little moped and worked perfectly for my purposes. I look forward to renting from these guys again next week!!

1 Thank Valarie H
Santa Fe, New Mexico
“Wonderful time!”
Reviewed 8 November 2013

What a wonderful way to explore the island! The staff was helpful and friendly. They also taught me how to ride and made sure I was comfortable and safe. So much fun!

1 Thank eistr
Westmont, Illinois
“Around Oahu on 200cc”
Reviewed 2 November 2013 via mobile

This is the third time I have rented from Hawaiian Style. They are always very proffessional and the Scooters are kept in great shape. Very Much Fun!

1 Thank Douglarsen
SPRINGFIELD
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great price, great service!”
Reviewed 1 November 2013

It was very easy to reserve a bike online, and I really enjoyed the value for my money! I rented it for 3 days and pickup/dropoff was very quick. The bike was in great condition; no problems with parts or functioning. The staff was also very helpful with questions and route suggestions. I'd definitely rent again the next time I'm in Waikiki!

Visited October 2013