“Loved this place!”

Wyndham Royal Garden at Waikiki
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 30 July 2012

Okay first of all let me say that we stayed in the presidential 2 room suite. We were on the 20th floor with a 360 degree view of Honolulu.....it was amazing. Each bedroom had a most cozy king size bed and it's own full size bathroom. The living room had a large tv with Bose sound system, fully stocked kitchen with high quality appliances and two balconies. It was honestly the nicest room I've ever stayed in. The staff was superb and we were in walking distance of many good restaurants but far enough away from Waikiki that it was nice and quiet. I would stay at this property again in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: Ask for the highest room they have available.....such great views.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank DelcyB

Reviewed 30 July 2012

When I went to post I saw that the other reviews on this cite appear to be 9 YEARS OLD! This place has been recently renovated and is BEAUTIFUL! It is walking distance to so many places, 10 minutes from the beach, and just around the corner from Luxury Row! Location, Location, Location and the staff so courteous and nice. Since there is no on-site restaurant, there is no room service which is the only negative, but then it really isn't a "hotel" but more of a condo-tel which is they there is no room service.

3  Thank MadisonLosAngeles
Reviewed 29 July 2012

I came to Hawaii to surprise my family. It is so seldom my parents, sister, and I are together, and since I was mobile, I thought, what the heck. Well, it didn’t happen like I thought, and my parents said it was just be more relaxing to stay down in Waikiki. They had already set up my sister at the Beachwalk property, but were able to get me a room in Wyndom’s newly acquired Royal Garden Hotel. They only have valet parking ($25 per day), which I guess is alright, but now I had to tip the valet. As a rule, the more expensive your car is, you should tip them at least $5. I had a Budget rental, so I gave $3. If you plan out your day wisely, you’d only have to use the valet once or twice. A few times, I just paid the meter in front since I just needed to change or drop something off (.25 per ten minutes).

I had a studio on the 8th floor. Nice cushy king-sized bed, small dining table, medium sized closet with hangers and wall safe, and a decent sized bathroom. Not much drawer space under the flat-screen tv, but usable. This unit had a small kitchenette with a microwave, small refrigerator, coffee machine, and toaster. It also had enough dishes and silverware for small microwaveable meals. No stove or dishwasher but dishtowels and soap. This was a great set-up for me to have breakfast every morning.

I don’t know what the property was before, if it was a hotel or a condo, but it had all the Wyndham touches: marble counters, silver bathroom fixtures, and energy efficient lights. It’s not the quietest property as far as interior. I could hear the sliding door above me because it made this weird grinding noise. I could also hear the other two doors slamming shut (Why do other guests do that?) I also believe the people above had a small child because there was a little pitter-patter. The shower did take a while to warm up and the head was a little on the low side. Other than these issues, it was a great property to stay at.

Keep in mind, this property is what I would consider as “far from the beach,” but it is in a quieter location. One day I just drove to Kapiolani Park and used the meter (1/2 hour per .25). You might hear traffic during the day, but it was pretty quiet at night, because it is surrounded by residential buildings. If you like walking, the Ala Wai Canal is right there. Ala Moana is a little over a mile away, so you can walk or take the bus.

The staff is excellent! I had a leak in my toilet, which they fixed. They sprayed a non-toxic insect repellent in some of the rooms, and warned everyone the times they were doing it, and they also gave notice to all the guests about a water shut-off during the day. They gave a box of mac candies as a gesture of gratitude for the inconvenience, which was a nice touch. The valet guys were great!...always in a good mood and helpful. The front desk people were also friendly, even for something so simple as change for the meter.

Remember, this is a timeshare property, so the activities desk will try to get you to attend a presentation. If this is something you want to do, go for it, otherwise avoid them at all costs. You can find some great deals by picking up a free Waikiki magazine on the street, and if you are looking for some great things to do, pick up a Honolulu Weekly.

Room Tip: Most timeshares will tell you what is available, but ask if you can get a higher floor, and as alway...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank heuster3
Reviewed 27 July 2012

We stayed at the Beachwalk last time which is right in the middle of the hub bub and has very small rooms. This place is a short walk away from the hub bub and has much nicer rooms with views of the canal. It was quiet, comfortable, and convenient. The staff were great and the pool is a nice treat when you need time to chill and relax. Vit's right next door is a great place for breakfast, lunch, or dinner, when you need something without a wait.

Room Tip: I think the higher the better for the view
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank landrie
Reviewed 19 July 2012

This is a great place to stay. To drive out you go half a block turn left on Alai Wai, then right on McCully and you get to the freeway. If you are going to the beach, you walk two blocks to the beach at DuRussy. I walked it by myself at night, there is security at the hotel, there is security through the park, there is security at DeRussy. Lots of tourists on the streets, I was back by midnight. The valets always were pleasant and asked me about my day, remembered our conversation from the morning when I left. Free newspaper daily, 3 computers in the business center with a printer. The front desk and the Concierges were always attentive, pleasant, and knowledgeable. I especially appreciated the the map and directions to a gas station open at 5a.m. on the morning I was leaving. The marble and huge crystal chandelier in the lobby and the well appointed room in which I stayed gave an ambiance beyond that of a beach hotel. House keeping was at my door within minutes of calling about a coffee maker and returned it before I was ready to go out for the day. Super service!! The hotel even has free laundeyroom. I met someone in the elevator who let me know there are owners on the top floors. I was an RCI exchange lodger. Excellent!!

Room Tip: From my 8th floor room I had a view of the Alai Wai Canal. There was open air space with a veiw to...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Vacationer010
Reviewed 7 July 2012

My family and I stayed for 5 nights at the hotel, and we were extremely pleased with our accommodations. The hotel is in a prime location. It is right across from an ABC store, which fulfilled all our shopping needs, and there are several restaurants within walkable distance, less than a couple blocks away. It is a longer walk to Waikiki Beach (about 15-20 minutes), but we didn't mind the walk, especially with the refreshing trade winds in June.

Our rooms were wonderful, with new furniture and appliances, and the front desk staff went out of their way to make our stay enjoyable. We had a peaceful night's sleep, as we could not hear the traffic noise with the windows closed, even from our rooms on the 6th floor, and the beds were very soft and comfortable. We decided to rent a car, and we rarely had trouble finding a metered parking space near the hotel. If you don't want to pay for metered parking, the hotel also offers the option of valet parking for $25 per day.

Some of the major pluses were the free Wi-Fi (which works in all of the rooms), free laundry, and free fitness room. They even have laundry detergent at the front desk if you need it. One of the downsides is that housekeeping only comes if you stay for more than a week, which didn't apply to us since we were only there for 5 nights.

Overall, I really enjoyed my stay, and I would definitely stay here again!

2  Thank chopstickcutie
Reviewed 6 July 2012

We stayed for 1 week in June using an RCI points exchange. The entire property was remodeled in the past year, so everything is new. We had a large studio with a king-size bed and a kitchenette with microwave and small refrigerator. The hotel has a free laundryroom, which was a nice bonus and there was never a wait. Since this is a timeshare, you only get housekeeping 1x/week, but you can always call for towels, TP, etc. The outdoor pool area is okay. The pool is small, and while it's very nicely landscaped, it's also surrounded by yucky old apartment buildings The pool area has a sauna and gas grills that we did not use. There is a nice fitness room and lounge with free computers. Wifi access is free hotel-wide. The hotel staff was incredibly friendly and helpful. They always smiled and welcomed everyone who walked in the door. Parking is valet only ($25/day), but there was never a wait to get our car.

We also really liked the location of the hotel. While it's not on the beach, it's just a short walk away. It's also very near the main strip of Waikiki shopping and restaurants, but on a very quiet one-way street with almost no traffic and an easy exit out of Waikiki if you have a rental car. You will hear city noise (sirens, etc.) if you leave the sliders open to your lanai, but with a/c on it's perfectly quiet.

I would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Try ti get a high floor where you might get a glimpse of the ocean and hear less city noise.
1  Thank JDBytheSeaBoston