“Classy, Clean, Charismatic”

Ranked #3 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
“Classy, Clean, Charismatic”
Reviewed 10 May 2011

Everything is top notch and classy service is their strong point. We slept sooooo good, hard to do in a hotel, but not this one. XL Rooms are very quiet and beds are sooooooo comfy.
the only bad thing is their hot tub is very small, but we all crowded in it anyway.
the pool is a lap pool almost but with amazing views of the "skyscrapers" and sunset. Everything seemed new and Clean, which I insist on. The tile in pool area had no sign of mold or aging. I poked my head in the spa, there are individual jazuzzis but you have to book a service. $$$$
The gym was my favorite, new equipment, unlimited cucumber and lemon iced water.
The office area is great for internet access and printing up whatever documents you may have. We were there for Friday nite fireworks, we viewed them from lounge area and my daughter who is 17 was able to sit with me. The architecture of the building had me constantly looking at details, very modern. but the best part was when we were leaving, after waiting a bit too long for a taxi to aiport, they sent a limo to take us for the same price! They do take care of you, again, hard to get in a hotel nowadays.

Room Tip: check for specials on their website
2 Thank tahitiblkpearl

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (532)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 2 May 2011

My wife and I stayed here for three days in mid April with our large family (2 kids and both sets of grandparents). Oahu was the first stop on our vacation where most of our time was spent on other islands. I chose the Trump after reading months of tripadvisor reviews on this property and its competitors. We are glad we picked this hotel and can say most of the reviews are spot on. The Trump isn't perfect, but if you want a top tier hotel in Waikiki for you and your kids, it's the best value for your money.

One of the best things we discovered from reading prior reviews was to use Jet Luxury Resorts in booking this property. It saved us hundreds on two suites and they really came through for us. After arriving and finding out that one of our rooms did not have a pull out sofa as we were told it would, and as a result we were going to be short on beds for our group, a rep from Jet Luxury Resorts made the incredibly generous decision to pay for an extra room for us. My wife and I were amazed and so appreciative.

That aside, here are our pros and cons on this property:
Pro's:
*large living areas in every unit, including kitchen (or kitchenette for the studios). To get this kind of space in any comp hotel on the strip would mean going with their biggest suites, so a huge value there.

*Brand new property and everything is top of the line and spotless. You might take this for granted until you look at some of the Trump's competitors, as we did, and realize that they all look worn in comparison (some more than others).

Con's:
*Not right on the beach. Yes, most rooms have a nice ocean view, and yes, the beach is just a couple of minutes walk away. But for those for whom the beach is very important, the Trump's competitiors (at least the properties I compared it to and thought of choosing instead...such as the Halekulani and the Royal Hawaiian) have the big advantage here. These other properties, which we walked through and had a drink in, also have more of a Hawaiian "feel". The Trump could be a (great) hotel in any US city.

*Pool and pool area. The other reviews you read about this are true. The Trump infinity pool is long, but ridiculously narrow. It is really just a glorified single lap pool. Worse, later in the afternoon, when the hotel's restaurant ovens turn on, the vents spew out strong smells and smoke right over the pool. Yuk! In addition, the majority of the lounge chairs around the pool are under a ceiling and completely without sun any time of day. And considering that the pool area is on the hotel's sixth floor, there's usually a bit of a breeze and it can be chilly. I think most guests and residents quickly realize this and as a result, the pool area seemed rather dead the entire time we were there. My kids and I were in the pool quite a bit, and they enjoyed it, but I'm glad it was the first hotel pool we experienced on this trip and not the last.

*Concierge seemed to have it's preferred vendors best interests in mind instead of their guests. Whether it was asking the concierge desk for a quote on a car service from/to the airport or an activity (Pear Harbor), the prices they quoted me were incredibly more expensive (in some cases 2 or 3 times more) than anything I easily found myself. I don't mind paying whatever I need to for something, as long as I feel I'm getting value, but with the concierge I felt I was just being taken.

If you're looking for a sophisticated, quality hotel in Honolulu, I'd probably recommend the Halekulani if you're a couple (especially honeymooners and those celebrating Anniversaries) or the Royal Hawaiian if you're with friends and lying on the beach and being in the middle of everything is most important to you. But if you're a family with kids, even with the pool drawback, I'd choose the Trump. If you know it's shortcomings going in, you won't be disappointed. I give the Trump four stars and Jet Luxury Resorts five stars.

Room Tip: use jetluxuryresorts.com for best prices
6 Thank TomandMichK
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed 27 April 2011

The Trump is not cheap, but for good reason. I will lay out what you can expect here after staying a full 7 nights in a Beach Studio room (cheapest one I think)

1. The rooms are very clean, spacious enough to do whatever work or activity you need. They are cleaned daily with complementary bathrobes as well.
2. The complementary WiFi in every room is a bonus (I found the speeds excellent, with no troubles connecting).
3. Parking sucks. There is no doubt about it. The trump charges a whopping $28 PER DAY for their MANDATORY valet service, which means you have to tip them as well for about $30. This will probably cost you more than the rental car itself. However there is a parking lot RIGHT across the street that you can pay about $15/day for run by the Hale Koa hotel. THIS is the way to go, and no stupid valets begging for your cash.
4. There is a kitchenette with a decent size fridge, microwave, coffee maker, toaster, blender, and 2 stoves. We exploited the hell out of this. Our first day we went to Costco and picked up groceries we stocked in their fully loaded kitchen. It was great an we saved tons of money. You'll go from eating out 3 times a day to once a day, and the convenience of having a quick breakfast to start your day is great. We had daily toast, cereal, and even made some pasta, salads, and smoothies. This and combination of a Farmer's Market is all you need to have delicious, healthy, nutritious, cheap food in Waikiki.
5. The location isn't bad. It's pretty much on the Northwest corner of Waikiki, but honestly there's so much hustle and bustle there I don't think it's worth being right in the middle of the area anyway. It is NOT beach front. You have to cross a road to get to the beach, and will take about 3-4 minutes from the time you leave the hotel on foot. This also means they have nothing like beach chairs, umbrellas, or any actual property on the beach itself. If you want this stuff you have to pay the rental guys through the nose for it. The area of beach it leads to isn't pretty thin as well unless you walk a ways. All in all though the Waikiki beach isn't he best on the island by far unless you JUST want to surf. It's far too crowded and noisy if all you want to do is just lie on a towel all day.
6. People have complained about the pool. I can't say much about it since I just looked at it and left. I see no reason to go swim in a pool when there's a gigantic ocean a half block away. It is quite small. But I didn't come all the way from Canada to use some chlorinated pool so I couldn't care less.
7. One nice complementary item they offered was a beach bag you could take to the beach, This included 2 towels, 2 chilled waters, and 2 pieces of fruit (apple & orange usually). We heavily exploited this and used it pretty much everyday.
8. They do have a restaurant & spa which we completely avoided because the prices were frankly obscene. They advertised a breakfast bunch for a paltry $59 per person, and those are rum-soaked omelettes you're eating. I have no idea how good the food is but it makes sense to just stay away from it.
9. They also offer free local calls which is handy for booking things, and a widescreen LG flat panel which was never turned on if you like that stuff.
10. Bathrooms were clean, well stocked, and clean daily. Spacious too.

Trump is a good hotel. Just don't park and swim there and you'll have a good time. Keep in mind part of the price goes into that kitchenette, so USE IT!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Killswitch1968
Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed 26 April 2011

Our 10 day stay at Trump Hotel International Waikiki was fabulous. Other reviewers have expressed our feelings about this hotel exactly - you get what you pay for. The photos you see on the Trump website show exactly the quality and style of the hotel. We booked this hotel after reading the reviews and we were not disappointed. Our group consisted of 4 adults and a teenager. We wanted an apartment with 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms and a kitchen. At check in we found we got a lot more. We were upgraded to an ocean view 2 bedroom apartment with a den. The apartment was huge - over 1600sq ft and on the 33rd floor. It had 3 big bathrooms ( 2 with baths), laundry facilities, 2 large bedrooms - king and queen size, a separate lounge with pull -out bed ( for the teenager), 4 TV's, a fully equipped kitchen, 2 balconies and a view 2 die for which over looked the western end of Waikiki Beach and Fort DeRussy. The room was serviced twice a day and the standard of cleaning was excellent. All staff that we encountered during our stay were friendly, helpful and made us feel very special. Nothing was too much trouble for them. An added bonus is the insulated beach bag containing towels, fresh fruit and cold water which can be obtained from the concierge any time you wish to go to the beach or on an excursion.

Room Tip: Rooms above the 23rd floor are slightly larger.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank BronIsh
Reviewed 22 April 2011

The hotel which is 1/2 block from the beach is well located near shopping and restaurants and is across the street from a great park and war museum... the rooms were first class, spacious and comfortable, each room had a tv and if you had a den it also had a tv meaning our 2 bedroom suite had 4 tv's... appliances are new and modern and high end in fact the hotel fels high end... beds are dreamy and it was great sitting on the balcony.... we did not have a problem with wifi and for my streaming stock quotes i just plugged into the adsl line..
other comments talk about bad internet but i had no problem however it was getting upgraded while we were there anyway..... yes the pool is small but when it wasnt busy it was great for laps and the infinity effect was cool. poolside service was great ( try the sushi ) but expensive... the breakfast buffett was the ultimate in ripoff and should be skipped.... try eggs and things up the street, it lines up but if u try the omellete you will understand, i grabbed the pager and walked back to the hotel and when it went of we hustled, worked twice but dont tell the egg nazi you were doing that... aside from that we would do breakfast at the outrigger on the beach, look for the coupon which is in the coupon book in the lobby of the hotel, great deal at the shore bird with a coupon.... Blt the in house steak house was great and blows away ruth chris but is just as expensive if not a bit more... lamb was to die for and the burger requires a big mouth and could just be one of the best ever, oh ya the yorkies are the speciality, unbelievable,,, keep em for breakfast and try them with jam... wow...
we took a tour of a number of rooms with a great and very informative salesman jeff skinner who was a great guy, no pressure and was probablly one of the best salesman i ever met... alas jeff your product per sq ft is way ovepriced comparitivlly speaking and at the end of the day we found the traffic a little to noisy.... The simple fact is you can rent this place much cheaper then you can buy it excpecially for us candians who would use it 21 days a year.
i do recommend this hotel and will return

Room Tip: happy hour 3 to 5
Reviewed 19 April 2011

We had an excellent stay at Trump Hotel. Our first time at any Trump! Service was exceptional right from the start with valet service. Our room was spacious and the bed was like sleeping in the clouds for four nights....

The location is very convenient to to the beach, high end shopping, and great resteraunts...all can be walked to in minutes.

Waikiki is a bit too crazy with congestion and hustle and bustle for me... It's like LA except without the nightlife. Anyway great place to stay at the Trump, if you feel like treating yourselves or perhaps your lucky enough to afford this kind of price anytime. Aloha!

• Stayed April 2011
1 Thank Cdnphilly
Queensland Australia
Reviewed 18 April 2011

Should you be looking for a very special place to stay in Honolulu you would go a long long way to find a better hotel in Waikiki - the finish of the hotel and layouts to the rooms are superb, its location is excellent, the hospitality shown was second to none and each and every member of the staff were absolutely BRILLIANT - take a bow guys you are what makes people feel very welcome and special. Donald Trump should be extremely proud of you all. We have extensive world travel history and with out a doubt the Trump International Hotel in Waikiki is no doubt up there with the very very best. To all staff we had contact with - we thank you sincerely for making our first trip to Waikiki a very special one to remember - we will be back and we will highly praise the "Trump" to others - Kindest Regards Greg & Melissa Carey - Queensland Australia

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple