“Fun & you learn a lot”

and up
Pearl Harbor Group Tour from Waikiki
Ranked #14 of 335 things to do in Honolulu
Reviewed 14 June 2011

My hubby is a history buff & I'm normally bored but this whole place is a fun way to learn things of our past.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,312)
All reviews
in 200 reviews
"torpedo"
in 76 reviews

Reviewed 6 February 2011

A brilliant slice of history. You get to walk round all areas of the submarine and get to imagine how life was like at sea. Its amazing how narrow and small it was compared to how many people live aboard. Well worth a visit.

Reviewed 24 January 2011

We did the USS Missouri and the USS Bowfin in one afternoon. We arrived at the visitor centre at about 1pm. Ate the lunch I had packed on the benches outside and checked our bag (NB. NO BAGS are allowed in- you are allowed camera, wallet, water bottle, and...can't remember the fourth thing - maybe sunglasses? No purses, diaper bags, backpacks, waistpacks, camera bags etc. It's $3 to check your bag. My husband was wearing pants with large pockets, so we put a diaper in one pocket and and ziploc with a few wipes in the other, and I sunscreened everyone before we headed out). We all did the Missouri first (separate review for that) and then the boys and I took in the Bowfin. My husband and daughter had to wait, since for some reason kids under 4 are not allowed on the Bowfin.
The boys say that they enjoyed the Missouri and Bowfin equally, but I enjoyed the Bowfin more. I found the audio tour on the sub to be better than the audio-video ipod tour on the battleship- the numbers to enter into the device were clearly marked and they have 2 different audio clips at each marker - one for adults and one for kids. Also, there was only one way to go, so you couldn't wander off the tour path and miss something or get lost.

1  Thank KristinaMumof3
Reviewed 15 December 2010

I was very impressed by the Bowfin herself. Visitors are free to wander around at will and can spend as long as they like on board, which is great for historians and modellers alike. The only areas completely off limits are the lower decks, containing the battery and main motor rooms, as well as the upper control room in the conning tower.
The museum is full of interesting submarine related items, including various missiles and torpedoes and a kaiten midget submarine.
The museum is served by the Oahu bus service.

1  Thank mfw100